Elite Dangerous - Any interest?

A general 'catch-all' discussion area shared by members and non-members alike.

Moderator: Staff

Biggs

Elite Dangerous - Any interest?

Post by Biggs » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:18 am

So, as per my discussion with a few members of the clan, there's a small niche out there for Elite Dangerous. I'm wondering if there is a wider interest here.

I'm going to be getting some people together, hopefully in the near future, to do some CQC - a fast paced, combat oriented event - to get people back into Elite Dangerous.

My hope is to get enough people interested that we are able to start out own player faction, and bring Crack Clan into the universe of Elite Dangerous.

Any takers?

Vengeance
Prolific

Re: Elite Dangerous - Any interest?

Post by Vengeance » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 am

Great thinking! Unfortunately not my style of game, and I don't really have the time even if it were - but if there's anything I can do to help you out, don't hesitate to ask!

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:15 pm

I have the game but i just couldn't get into the vast emptiness of space.

It just felt like I was not playing with anyone else.

Has that changed?

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:29 am

Smithy wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:15 pm
I have the game but i just couldn't get into the vast emptiness of space.
Well, it honestly depends on who you're playing with and what you're doing. You can play ArmA 3 on your own, but I bet you'll have the same sort of feeling of emptiness; that no matter how many civilians' lives you destroy with the Mk19, no matter how many towns and cities you destroy with the 155mm cannons or unarmed POWs that you 'dispatch', it just will not feel the big, empty hole of loneliness and despair that you experience doing this. Trust me, I tried.

So what you do is group up, agree upon an objective. In this case, all I'm doing is trying to group people up to work together as a team in CQC, which is like Arena Commander in Star Citizen. You can claim your own system with a minor faction (which can either be an already made faction, or you can submit a request to make a new faction. We could see Crack Clan in Space!) and expand it by performing missions for it, including the easy 'Courier' missions, where you're essentially going from one place to another, to the more difficult 'Assassinate' missions, where you're tasked with taking out high priority targets.

There's a lot of group-missions you can take part in now because they've generated "Wing Missions" where you can share the mission with up to 3 other players. So there's plenty to do, and it can be quite lucrative for everyone involved. Besides, this isn't to mention trading, smuggling, piracy, bounty hunting, exploring, mining etc...

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:46 pm

O thats cool so you can get out of your ships now?

Thats interesting

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Smithy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:46 pm
Yes! Well, actually no... Sort of. Let me explain...

You can't have your character physically get up from the cockpit seat and move around as an avatar. At the moment the game is more focused on actions over the traveling mechanics. For example, let's say you want to board a friend's ship. Rather than coding in a way for you to move to another ship by physically needing to land near another ship, get out of yours and hop into theirs, they are instead focusing on the gameplay involved once you've actually gotten to the other ship.

However, if you have the Horizons DLC what you can do is:

- Multi-Crew with another person, which includes you instantly moving to the other persons ship. You can then fulfil the role of Gunner, where you take control of turreted weapon systems and defensive systems (aka utility mounts), such as chaff launchers.

- You can also take the role of a second pilot if the ship is large enough to hold one. You don't even need to Multi-Crew to do this; so long as you have a ship large enough to hold a small fighter, you can opt to pilot the fighter, and have an NPC pilot the 'mothership' for you. In Multi-Crew, you can have up to three players fulfilling these roles, such as one person on guns and the other flying the fighter (or both can have fighters, since you can launch 2 fighters with multicrew, meaning you can have 3 player piloted ships), with the owner always being the helmsman.

- You can also now land on planets, where you'll be able to deploy a surface reconnaissance vehicle to look around the planet. There's some interesting things to discover, such as alien ruins and structures. You can find materials which can be used to craft modifications for your weapon systems. You can also do certain missions, since there are several land-based ports for you to land in.

So yeah. Sort of.

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Biggs wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:46 pm
Smithy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:46 pm
Yes! Well, actually no... Sort of. Let me explain...

You can't have your character physically get up from the cockpit seat and move around as an avatar. At the moment the game is more focused on actions over the traveling mechanics. For example, let's say you want to board a friend's ship. Rather than coding in a way for you to move to another ship by physically needing to land near another ship, get out of yours and hop into theirs, they are instead focusing on the gameplay involved once you've actually gotten to the other ship. Let me give you the best three examples of this I can think of. Just to be clear though, you must have the Horizons Season Pass in order to do any of these...

- Multi-Crew with another person, which includes you instantly moving to the other persons ship. You can then fulfil the role of Gunner, where you take control of turreted weapon systems and defensive systems (aka utility mounts), such as chaff launchers.

- You can also take the role of a second pilot if the ship is large enough to hold one. You don't even need to Multi-Crew to do this; so long as you have a ship large enough to hold a small fighter, you can opt to pilot the fighter, and have an NPC pilot the 'mothership' for you. In Multi-Crew, you can have up to three players fulfilling these roles, such as one person on guns and the other flying the fighter (or both can have fighters, since you can launch 2 fighters with multicrew, meaning you can have 3 player piloted ships), with the owner always being the helmsman.

- You can also now land on planets, where you'll be able to deploy a surface reconnaissance vehicle to look around the planet. There's some interesting things to discover, such as alien ruins and structures. You can find materials which can be used to craft modifications for your weapon systems. You can also do certain missions, since there are several land-based ports for you to land in.

So yeah. Sort of.