CIA hacking your router

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Council

dox
Sun King
Sun King

CIA hacking your router

Post by dox » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Home routers from 10 manufacturers, including Linksys, DLink, and Belkin, can be turned into covert listening posts that allow the Central Intelligence Agency to monitor and manipulate incoming and outgoing traffic and infect connected devices. That's according to secret documents posted Thursday by WikiLeaks.
https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/0 ... ning-posts

The PDF manual on WikiLeaks seems to hint that there's a way to determine if you've been compromised by looking for CherryWeb folders but I suspect that there'll be something a little bit more trivial coming down the pipes..

Not surprising that they did this especially considering that the US has been putting backdoors in to routers for years
For years, the US government loudly warned the world that Chinese routers and other internet devices pose a "threat" because they are built with backdoor surveillance functionality that gives the Chinese government the ability to spy on anyone using them. Yet what the NSA's documents show is that Americans have been engaged in precisely the activity that the US accused the Chinese of doing.
But now the CIA has a botnet and they appear to be extending their reach far past their legal scope? Uhmn. This is OK? :roll:

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Re: CIA hacking your router

Post by Shaddowmaster » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:25 am

Wasn't it the US that put out a virus that puts a surveilance backdoor between partitions recently?

I'll see if I can dig up the article about that, but it was some larger nation's intelligence agancy that did that.