How fake is boxing?!

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Council

dox
Sun King
Sun King

How fake is boxing?!

Post by dox » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:12 pm

I'll admit, I've stopped watching the sport a long time ago but I was pulled in to observe the Mayweather/McGregor fight.. it turned out to be really entertaining..

..too entertaining..

I found myself being frequently jarred with thoughts of the whole thing being so contrived, so staged that - for the first time - I felt the whole thing was as legitimate as a wrestling match. As soon as that connection appeared in my head I couldn't shake it: the big belts, the huge personalities, the in-crowd-post-game interview, positive message aimed to make more sales, etc..

Has it always been like this? Did it just become this? Am I totally imagining this? Am I just a fool for never noticing this?!

It appeared to me as if every round had a 'theme' that the fighters were meant to follow - filling in along the way with their own moves - but each round had its own prescribed flavour that was designed to keep interest and make for an entertaining spectacle. I'm not saying the punches were pulled or faked, just the outcome and round results.

Interesting article as a result of me Googling around for answers: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/mayw ... ng-w499864

Vengeance
Prolific

Re: How fake is boxing?!

Post by Vengeance » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:43 am

I love the lore and hype personally.

redfireant3
Council Member
Council Member

Post by redfireant3 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:35 pm

about the same as our elections; it swings whichever way there's more money

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:01 pm

McGregor could have thrown billions out there and wouldn't have won that fight. It was definitely entertaining though!