Trademark 'pwnage'

A general 'catch-all' discussion area shared by members and non-members alike.

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Trademark 'pwnage'

Post by dox » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:19 pm

The original article

You know something has stopped being cool when the big corporations takeover, and it looks as though l33t speak is about to join words such as ‘groovy’ and ‘dishy’ in the vocabulary of big companies trying to get down with the kids. Shortly after announcing its own games studio, 3DMark creator Futuremark has now attempted to trademark the word ‘pwnage.’

You can see the full application here, and it’s clear that Futuremark means business with the trademark, wanting it to cover everything from computer games to ‘motion picture films on fictional characters.’ The latter could be a problem for the guys at Pure Pwnage, who make their own comedy videos about life as gamers.

Among the other possible uses listed are ‘cases for mobile phones’ and ‘downloadable ring tones,’ which suggests that Futuremark either has big plans for ‘Pwnage’ as a brand, or it hasn’t decided quite what it’s going to do with the trademark yet.

Futuremark has so far declined to comment on the trademark application, and it has yet to be examined by an attorney. Is it a bit rich of Futuremark to try to trademark a term that’s been used by gamers for years, and how could Futuremark attempt to crack down on its use? Let us know your thoughts.

Futuremark's explanation

WTFn00bz!

PS: Episode 16 of PP features some Rock Band and COD4 goodness in it! silvertoes & I love this show (as well as the fact that it's all in Toronto, so seeing our city in this context gives us great pleasure, hehe) - we've also got quite the band going that gets together 2x a month :) -- yes, I'm hijacking my own thread, lol

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:29 pm

It's really a shame that they might try that. They are going to have a hell of a time trying to defend it's usage to hold onto the trademark.

mini
Prolific

Post by mini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 pm

i already registered pwnzor so screw them.
small and fierce.........
Alienware 15 R3
6700HQ, 16 gig DDR4 @2667, 1060 GTX 6 gig, 128 SSD boot, 1000 gig Storage.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:47 am

Fuck Futuremark, they suck and their benchmarks are completely off base in measuring how your computer will play games. Plus they tried to sue HardOCP when they said the same thing.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:35 pm

what the hell...?!

there's going to be a rebellion if they try to get PP for using the word...

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Well, they certainly risk pissing off half their customer base.

On a side note, my application to trademark 'teh gey' proceeds well.

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:14 pm

Rubbish. Just rubbish. Pwnage is not something you wish to trademark, it's everyman's right to pwn, not some company 'owning' it. We'd have to come up with a new word then :?

You got any songs written in that band yet? :) (Gotta help the hijack!)

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:20 pm

haha, if I were a game developer right now, I'd make an announcement to add a "^TM" button for the chat :P