Do you believe in Solar Flares?

A general 'catch-all' discussion area shared by members and non-members alike.

Moderator: Staff

redfireant3
Prolific

Do you believe in Solar Flares?

Post by redfireant3 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:45 am

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_18678275
The disruptions are coming because the sun is entering a decadelong phase that scientists call "solar maximum." In the midst of this phase, the sun's magnetic field flips north to south, contributing to the solar storms that NASA says should peak in 2013 or 2014.
I pretty cynical to just about everything but.... I mean for a SHTF scenario this is almost believable. I may have shrugged of the prior events listed in this article. Those of you north of the border do you remeber the 1989 event when a solar storm triggered the collapse of Canada's Hydro-Quebec power grid? In 2003 I was in Iraq and for whatever the reason (satellite jamming whatever) I do remember that gps didn't work how it usually did. so I thought if another 1859 event happens I guess everything north of NY or NJ would be blackouts? Do you believe in the same possibility of problems being caused by solar flares?

dox
Prolific

Re: Do you believe in Solar Flares?

Post by dox » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:31 am

Well of course it's believable, but some of these lab-coat wearing nerds were talking about solar minimums just two months ago.. What that means, in my experience, is that you need to become more discerning about where you get your news from. One big hint is: good scientists talk about these kinds of things in terms of theory, not sensationalist fact that will kill us all. But why on earth would someone not believe in solar flares?! As your article points out (and some of us do remember things like the '89 trading halt on the Toronto Stock Exchange, the Quebec power outages, etc) this has happened several times before and of course an increase of that same activity will mean more outages.. I'm not aware of any debate in this area whatsoever?

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:18 pm

I was asking because it never affected us in FL. I guess I should have asked does everyone believe it will be wide spread panic if another "1859 big one" hit of if it just be business as usual with just small interruptions in some areas. An example of mass devistation not affecting everyone would be hurricane Katrina; it was absolutely devastating but it didn't stop business in the rest of the US. However, the events of 9/11 did.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:20 pm

..if it's like 1859: we're in trouble :)

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:08 am

I don't think it's a matter of believing in them. They happen! Fact, as far as I'm concerned.

Rage
Prolific

Post by Rage » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:33 pm

"I would change the world, but God won't give me the source code"

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Post by NoOutsTwice » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:04 pm

I just watched this for the first time recently. It's about 8/10 on my movie scale. 'Knowing' with Nick Cage. You can download it here as an .avi for free ATM

http://stagevu.com/video/mexlpxghceyq
win with honor

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:40 pm

I thought it was excellent apart from the ending.... :D

Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:07 am

Solar Flares are a fact, although they rarely come to be because of flipping magnetic fields. Magnetic field flipping is pretty rare.

Even Earth has a flipping magnetic field.

Ashy
Has barely posted

Post by Ashy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Skiddywinks wrote:Solar Flares are a fact, although they rarely come to be because of flipping magnetic fields. Magnetic field flipping is pretty rare.

Even Earth has a flipping magnetic field.
Magnetic field flipping is not a rare occurance, it occurs in the sun every century or so. When you talk about solar time scales (i.e. millions of years) its a very common occurance. Solar flares are a fact like many people have said. Flares occur when charged particles, mainly electrons, interact with the plasma in the sun. Without describing a great deal of electromagnetism to you all (its too time consuming and i'll admit its not my forte) the particles are given kinetic energy from the magnetic field of the sun. Flares come from so called active spots in the sun, i.e. where the magnetic field is stronger than in other places.
One hundred and one shots of opportunity.
I'd gladly take them all again and again..... and again.

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:57 pm

You've just reminded me of another great film called "The Core" which focuses a little of this stuff. 9/10 on the entertainment scale!

Cicchetti
Opulent

Post by Cicchetti » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Crystal wrote:You've just reminded me of another great film called "The Core" which focuses a little of this stuff. 9/10 on the entertainment scale!
I would have to disagree with you on that one.... That movie was a POS, but I can forgive you considering it's a entertainment scale...
NA: BF2142
NA: BFBC2
NA: BF3 Council

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Cicchetti wrote:
Crystal wrote:You've just reminded me of another great film called "The Core" which focuses a little of this stuff. 9/10 on the entertainment scale!
I would have to disagree with you on that one.... That movie was a POS, but I can forgive you considering it's a entertainment scale...
I agree, I remember rolling my eyes at that one. Entertaining, but if you know anything at all about science/physics/cosmology ... you'll want to keep a puke bucket close by.
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]