Higgs Paper is Out

A general 'catch-all' discussion area shared by members and non-members alike.

Moderator: Staff

Pockets
Copius

Higgs Paper is Out

Post by Pockets » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Finally have peer-reviewed articles confirmed they observed the Higgs, or at the very least a Higg-like boson with the correct energy for a standard model Higg boson.

Full read: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmi ... agazine%29

Important part:

The ATLAS Collaboration
(Submitted on 31 Jul 2012)
A search for the Standard Model Higgs boson in proton-proton collisions with the ATLAS detector at the LHC is presented. The datasets used correspond to integrated luminosities of approximately 4.8 fb^-1 collected at sqrt(s) = 7 TeV in 2011 and 5.8 fb^-1 at sqrt(s) = 8 TeV in 2012. Individual searches in the channels H->ZZ^(*)->llll, H->gamma gamma and H->WW->e nu mu nu in the 8 TeV data are combined with previously published results of searches for H->ZZ^(*), WW^(*), bbbar and tau^+tau^- in the 7 TeV data and results from improved analyses of the H->ZZ^(*)->llll and H->gamma gamma channels in the 7 TeV data. Clear evidence for the production of a neutral boson with a measured mass of 126.0 +/- 0.4(stat) +/- 0.4(sys) GeV is presented. This observation, which has a significance of 5.9 standard deviations, corresponding to a background fluctuation probability of 1.7×10^-9, is compatible with the production and decay of the Standard Model Higgs boson.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pzCHc.png[/img]

WolfPack
Exuberant

Re: Higgs Paper is Out

Post by WolfPack » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 pm

I am beginning to think you made this post to make the rest of us non physics studying people look dumb :P

To think this is one of the easier theories regarding particles gaining mass......

An army of sheep led by a lion, can defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

How much we ought to dread the jaws of hell, if the jaws of so small an animal as a wolf can make a whole city tremble through fear

redfireant3
Prolific

Re: Higgs Paper is Out

Post by redfireant3 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:01 pm

WHERE'S MY FLYING CAR'S? TELL ME THAT HUH??!?!!!!