Why the Middle East is not a good travel destination...

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

billflu
Prolific

Why the Middle East is not a good travel destination...

Post by billflu » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:36 pm

Gunman opens fire on tourists in Jordan
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14666741/

It would be great to travel around the world, but I don't know if I'd ever visit the Middle East. Things are way to volatile there, people are firing on crowds and tryng to blow people up. If that's not crazy, I don't know what is. Can't we all just get along?

PhoeniX
Prolific

Re: Why the Middle East is not a good travel destination...

Post by PhoeniX » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:35 pm

billflu wrote:It would be great to travel around the world, but I don't know if I'd ever visit the Middle East. Things are way to volatile there, people are firing on crowds and tryng to blow people up. If that's not crazy, I don't know what is. Can't we all just get along?
I think in the majority of the Middle East it's no less safer than in Latin America or East Asia. These are rare incidents (unless of course you're going to Iraq, Afghanistan, southern Lebanon or Kashmir), the majority of the area is relatively safe I reckon. I bet the crime rates in the Middle East are lower than for example Latin America..

Incidents like these won't stop me from travelling there :)

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:38 pm

well, I personally would prefer being robbed or burglarized than blown all over the streets by some wacko with a chunk of explosives around his waist
of course, avoiding both would be even greater, if possible :)

I agree with bill though, I don't think I'll ever go there, because even if things would be stable for the time being, and I'd get home in one piece without any bad experiences whatsoever, I'd still not be able to be at ease there, I'd just feel the ol' paranoia kicking in wherever I'd go

simply put, I'd rather not go there for the sake of an increased probability of resting in piece, not in pieces

5URF3R
Prolific

Post by 5URF3R » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:42 pm

It would be a nice place to visit, if it wasn't so hostile. I'd sure as hell never go there the way it is now...which I've said before. Coolshot if you wanna live you better not go there either!