September 11, 5 Years Later

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

PhoeniX
Prolific

September 11, 5 Years Later

Post by PhoeniX » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:12 am

I can remember the exact moment of when I heard it first.. The news on the radio of 3:00 PM CET in the living room of my home.

Hardly anyone in the Netherlands had heard of the WTC before that fatal Tuesday. I did though, because ironically I had made a school project about skycrapers just weeks before the attacks.. That's why I couldn't believe these towers of over 400m tall just collapsed like that.

What has this day brought us? What are the consequences of that day, for the world? Mostly fear and discrimination I think.. Look at the Netherlands, where fear towards muslims has risen so much after the attacks (and after a shocking murder in Holland). The attacks in Madrid and London naturally contribute to this atmosphere of distrust, fear and racism.

I think I don't even have to mention what it has brought to the world.. Look only at the current situation in Iraq (yes, unfortunately one of the consequences of 9/11) and Guantanamo Bay and you know enough.

Beside the consequences, the responsibilities for the attacks and the policies of the Bush administration, this day particulary is a shocking one for all relatives and friends of the thousands of casualties of the attacks.

I don't want this to be a thread of political debate or fights about the Bush administration, but a memorial topic for all the people that were killed by the 9/11 attacks.

Rest in peace.

A.Mo.K
Prolific

Post by A.Mo.K » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:41 pm

happened is happened, we cant change history and the ways of god will always seem unreachable for us (if there s a god...)...
but why do some ppl think they have to convert the world into their religion? imo thats pretty the same hitler tried, but in a different way, he wanted to make all similar, all better, thats exactly the way of thinkin that (many) muslims have! i remember back when i heard first bout the attack... i was at a friends house and just came back to my gran'pa's flat, where the tv was runnin... heard sth bout a terror attack, but didnt make up my mind too much bout it, as i was much younger there....
actually, exactly when i moved upstairs, to take a look into the tv, the 2nd plane crashed into the tower.... i was some kind of wtf?? heard many stuff about terror attacks before, but basically never paid attention too much as, from what i can remember, a terror attack has never been that important to change our way of thinkin, change the world and even the future as much as this one did....
well... sittin there starin at the tv was hard! it really was, cause i knew i cant change it and anything, i know i d have never been able to change it, whoever i was (exept the terrorist or god...), but the feelin, to sit there, starin at the tv while ppl fuckin die in there, just gave me the feelin of being so tiny and forceless, that i cant describe it... it s hard to find the right words - i d have loved to put all my expressions in this post now, i just cant find em - for such a cold, cruel mass-murderer...
R.I.P to more than 3000 dead people!
R.I.P to all the brave firemen that left their life to save others!
"Oh naughy boy, stop touching me!" - Phoenix, May 23rd, 2007
"Sir, yes, sir! I'm BORN to do a hell of a lot, sir!" - Phoenix, May, 2nd 2007

Escobar
Prolific

Post by Escobar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:51 pm

i remember seeing the 2 towers collapse live..... horrible memories.

i watched the whole scene live at cnn.

rest in peace
Representing The REAL 0nes

"I tried to quit puffing before, but im no quitter"
-Method Man

Ballistic
Prolific

Post by Ballistic » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:26 pm

I was sitting in my grade 11 english class when my Teacher got a knock on the door. The secretary of my school was handing out an article to all the classrooms (this was within minutes of the second plane crashing). My Teacher came inside after about 4 minute in the hall talking to the secretary with a very strange face. She seemed shocked and scared, then started to read the paper, but before she did she warned us "What I am about to read here is real, it is happening right now, and this is not a joke" (might be off by a word or 2, but that is close).

I didnt know what to think, The premier of New Brunswick, Bernard Lord was actually in New York at the time for meetings in the towers but for whatever reason, was not there at the time of the accidents.

RIP to all those who died, in one of Modern Humanities darkest times.
"They don't pay you to play, they pay you to practice, to work hard, to be a pro. If you can't play it for free on Sunday you're in it for the wrong reasons" - Brett Favre

cc//Kill3rB
Intermediate poster

Post by cc//Kill3rB » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:22 pm

5 yrs on and it still is a very much open wound for New Yorker's, America and the World.

My family live in Manhatten and I myself have visited New york over 40 times in my live. I have been Inside the towers 5 times! 3 times as a tourist going onto the roof and once doing work for my step - mother for her art company. Most memorable was having a meal at the top of the World trade center in there plush restuarant which they called 'windows of the world'. Apart from it being very expensive ( I thank my dad for taking the bill, n1 :lol: ) i very much remember how you could feel the building move from side to side from the strong winds. Amazing.

The day they came down I felt an inner sickness that i know alot of ppl felt themsleves, but to me and many New yorker's what symbolized that great city and even symbolized America its self to the outside world was the two Towers. I have not been to New York since 1998 and I cant imagine what it will be like to go back to New york again to see them missing. I am looking to go very soon once again. And i will be paying my respects when i reach ground zero. I may even create a small banner from the cc// clan stating our thoughts are with the perished, the family's and friends and then take a picture and post it up when i get back! sound good?

Rest in peace 9/11 and 7/7 London victims! For you all are in a far better place now.

PhoeniX
Prolific

Post by PhoeniX » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:00 pm

cc//Kill3rB wrote:I have not been to New York since 1998 and I cant imagine what it will be like to go back to New york again to see them missing. I am looking to go very soon once again. And i will be paying my respects when i reach ground zero. I may even create a small banner from the cc// clan stating our thoughts are with the perished, the family's and friends and then take a picture and post it up when i get back! sound good?
I was on Ground Zero two years ago, in september 2004. It felt extremely strange to be in the place that had been on TV all the time, where people ran for their lives as debris and huge clouds were closing in when the towers collapsed. I remember standing on the sidewalk of a road between the WTC and the Brooklyn Bridge and I immediately remembered that was the spot of one of the cameras that filmed the collapse. Horrifying to say the least..

The idea of a banner of cc// dedicated to the victims of 9/11 would be a great idea KillerB.

Orac
Intermediate poster

Post by Orac » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:39 pm

I was shocked and amazed at the attrocity and remember well where I was and what I was doing.

I was working at a US communications company and all hell broke loose, all work stopped as everyone tried to check on their loved ones.

The only positive thing that has come out of 9/11 is that America has now taken its place with the rest of the world and we see far more international co-operation, which in the end is the only way we will beat the terrorists.

It must be almost impossible for terrorist organisations to operate and raise money in the US which has to be a good thing. (most of the IRA's funding came from New York!!)

Periodic rememberance of the victims and supporting their families is the best way forward, if we allow these events to recede from our minds, we will not be prepared for the next attempt and the next and the next .....

zappa
Has barely posted

Re: September 11, 5 Years Later

Post by zappa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:08 am

PhoeniX wrote:I can remember the exact moment of when I heard it first.. The news on the radio of 3:00 PM CET in the living room of my home.

Hardly anyone in the Netherlands had heard of the WTC before that fatal Tuesday. I did though, because ironically I had made a school project about skycrapers just weeks before the attacks.. That's why I couldn't believe these towers of over 400m tall just collapsed like that.

What has this day brought us? What are the consequences of that day, for the world? Mostly fear and discrimination I think.. Look at the Netherlands, where fear towards muslims has risen so much after the attacks (and after a shocking murder in Holland). The attacks in Madrid and London naturally contribute to this atmosphere of distrust, fear and racism.

I think I don't even have to mention what it has brought to the world.. Look only at the current situation in Iraq (yes, unfortunately one of the consequences of 9/11) and Guantanamo Bay and you know enough.

Beside the consequences, the responsibilities for the attacks and the policies of the Bush administration, this day particulary is a shocking one for all relatives and friends of the thousands of casualties of the attacks.

I don't want this to be a thread of political debate or fights about the Bush administration, but a memorial topic for all the people that were killed by the 9/11 attacks.

Rest in peace.
Your Idea of a memorial topic is good. Please follow your advice and dispense with your anit-Bush , blame America rhetoric.

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:56 am

nevermind
Last edited by redfireant3 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:37 am

I remember 9/11. I watched the towers fall on television in my history class. Some people in the room were talking to eachother about other things and it just made me so angry :evil: There was a world changing event and what they did last night was apparently more important.

Living only two hours (~100 miles) from NYC I didn't know what to expect next. During the first hour or two things were crazy. In my mind I was thinking, "Is this just the beginning?" It was a scary time, I will admit. The most eery thing was when no planes were flying around in the few days following. We were outside and just saw two chinook helicopters fly over.

Since the attacks I've road my bike around ground zero. It is crazy to see how big the area is. Also there was a guy there that was throwing out facts about the events and the WTC. (I think he said that he's there almost every day) This guy pointed to a building behind the crowd of people that gathered and said that the towers were over twice as high. That put it a little bit into perspective, how massive these buildings were. I had seen them before 9/11, but just from very the NYC skyline, never up close. Standing there at ground zero, everything still felt so surreal.

The world will never be the same...

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:01 am

redfireant3 wrote:guess americans dont like bush either
Do you ever Stop?

I did my psychology research on the "flash bulb" memory(a memory of an important event that when asked to recall you can remember what you were doing, watching, how other people around you felt etc) of the event, it was amazing to find out that only 2/20 people didn't answer all of the 5 questions given(where were you when you found out? etc) the CHILDREN i did my research on were 7-8 years old when the incident happened, it just goes to show how much of the world it affected when even children remember it so vividly, I also extended it to test my own psychology class who were 13 at the time and everyone answered each question with very exact answers of what they were doing(some paragraphs long).

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:07 am

I woke up on the morning of Sept 11 to phonecalls from friends and family asking if I was ok -- I'd returned to Toronto from my Manhattan office the night before. Tuning in to the television I was admittedly shocked to see what was unfolding before my eyes; my office had been in the shadows of the WTC just hours before.. I recall how futile but neccessary it was to get a call out to my friends and associates in NY as I tried to gather the extent of the damage and see if anyone I knew that worked for/with me was caught in the path. The entire day was a write-off as I was glued to the television and redialing, redialing, redialing.. I lost two associates in the WTC and was denied access to my office for weeks, upon my return I blew off the dust from my server farm (Sun FTW) which continued to operate. I then immediately went in to closing down shop and moving operations back to the great white north, still strong and free. I was humbled and jolted in to reality at the same time.. Since this thread is meant to be free of political opinions my story stops here.

Rage
Prolific

Post by Rage » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:00 am

wow dox, i didnt know u were there a day before it happend.

I remember exaclty what i was doing that day when I heard the news. I was in school and a few class mates said that some planes crashed into the WTC, first I thought it was just an accident untill we got back to the class room and saw the second plane hit the building. Needless to say we did not do anything for the rest of the day, the school just stopped and watched the televisions. I couldnt understand why someone would want to take their lifes, along with the lives of thousands of other people. It was a very awakening moment for me that day, never will I forget seeing the people taking their own lives by jumping out of the tower.

May they all rest in peace,
and the guilty for this be judged by God
"I would change the world, but God won't give me the source code"

PhoeniX
Prolific

Post by PhoeniX » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:21 am

zappa wrote:Please follow your advice and dispense with your anit-Bush , blame America rhetoric.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've not posted anything "anti-Bush" and/or "blame America" in this topic.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:08 pm

PhoeniX wrote:
zappa wrote:Please follow your advice and dispense with your anit-Bush , blame America rhetoric.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've not posted anything "anti-Bush" and/or "blame America" in this topic.
warnin': I'm not gonna let you two go there in this thread, we can set up a different one for the big Bush-is-awesome vs. Bush-sucks thread. Whether intentional or not you two are currently trolling :)