Hitler of Iran Speaks at UN

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

zappa
Has barely posted

Hitler of Iran Speaks at UN

Post by zappa » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:43 pm

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will speak at the UN today. Is this a good thing ?

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:08 pm

I'll just put all the responses down now.

1)"yes it will be a good thing it might clear some stuff up"
2)"no we should kill this facist it will be a good thing"
3)"bush is a prick"

job done.

My opinion is number 1!

edit: and 3

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:43 pm

question is whether he follows or is followed by the Stalin of America :twisted:

Seriously, what kind of question is this? It's in the name: UNITED NATIONS. You know, the group that's meant to do stuff and act with civility on behalf of the world, the same one that despite many shortcomings is gaining more clout than the United States of America.. Of course it's a good thing that they get to speak, Iran is a nation of the world..

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:05 am

No one in America is going to believe a word he says, he's not going to change any minds.

Although, nice of the US to allow the leader of the country at the top of their "To Bomb" list to pop in for a visit.

It's also interesting that in a day when the government of Thailand was overthrown in a military coup, the leader of a nation dissing the US at the UN is at the top of the news.

ALSO, Ahmadinejad is really short. It's kinda funny.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:15 am

RingoCalamity wrote:It's also interesting that in a day when the government of Thailand was overthrown in a military coup, the leader of a nation dissing the US at the UN is at the top of the news.
That's what shocked me most, I mean, you look @ CNN and there's NO mention of it on the top of their front page, you have to scroll down to the world section to see mention of it.. It's beaten out by Baby Abby being found, the UN dissed by Iran, some more Steve Irwin stuff, bla bla bla.

BarSteward
Prolific

Post by BarSteward » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:00 am

Let him speak, let him say what he has to say to the world. He should not be denied bcause the US does not like him. The US is but *one* nation of a whole heap of nations in the UN.

I'm quite interested in what he has to say tbh.

You can check his website out here: http://www.ahmadinejad.ir/ but it does not get updated very often. But on te plus side they use .Net and AJAX which is cool :)

You'll find that the story about him speaking is purely about media self censorship. When Robert Mugabe spoke at the UN, he followed G. W, but in Zimbabwean did not even mention G.W. Works both ways huh...

A.Mo.K
Prolific

Post by A.Mo.K » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:00 am

thx for the homepage bar... i couldnt read anything :P :twisted: :lol: !
well... let him speak... he s an idiot, but bush is one too...
"Oh naughy boy, stop touching me!" - Phoenix, May 23rd, 2007
"Sir, yes, sir! I'm BORN to do a hell of a lot, sir!" - Phoenix, May, 2nd 2007

PhoeniX
Prolific

Post by PhoeniX » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:55 am

Of course it's a good thing.
dox wrote:question is whether he follows or is followed by the Stalin of America :twisted:
:lol:

Edit: I just watched that 3:27 short video of a part of the speech of Ahmadinejad (on CNN.com), and I gotta say I didn't really disagree with anything he said.

This, of course, has nothing to do with his own policies and holocaust remarks etc.

mini
Prolific

what is the point

Post by mini » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:45 pm

WHat the point is, is not ever clear to see.

cnn>propaganda machine>one perspecive>falseinfotrain.

Is it not a leap to think USA is really after the oil ?, and when all the terrorists are gone i bet thats just about the time they will stop being a threat to the USA.

kfirush
Exuberant

Post by kfirush » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:45 pm

welll ...
he is liar he said that they want 2 delete israel and zions from the map, he allso said that Iran will not use atom bomb's and at the begin he said that Iran dont have nuclr weapon...

if u like 2 belive him that's your prob, but when somthink gonna happend i will say told ya.......

do NOT belive 2 terrorist! :x

zappa
Has barely posted

Post by zappa » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:13 pm

dox wrote:question is whether he follows or is followed by the Stalin of America :twisted:

Seriously, what kind of question is this? It's in the name: UNITED NATIONS. You know, the group that's meant to do stuff and act with civility on behalf of the world, the same one that despite many shortcomings is gaining more clout than the United States of America.. Of course it's a good thing that they get to speak, Iran is a nation of the world..
Who would be the Stalin of America? So Dox, you support the right of a leader of a country that states that he would sacrifice half of Iran for the sake of eliminating Israel to speak? Do you understand the question now?

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 am

When did we decide free speech was bad? People can say whatever the hell they want, no?

5URF3R
Prolific

Post by 5URF3R » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:27 am

dox wrote:When did we decide free speech was bad? People can say whatever the hell they want, no?
PLAAAA PLAAAA PLAAAA POOTTAATTOOOEESSS!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, free speech = pwnage.

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:17 am

Free speech only applies if you're American. Duh.

Seriously, politicians say a lot of things. Most of them to appease the people that put them in power. In Ahmadinejad's case, that's the radical clerics that really pull the strings.

I'm not saying the guy's not dangerous, or incapable of making a really, really bad decision - but he's no fool either.

With the way the Iraq war's going, calls for more troops in Afghanistan going unheeded, and the new peacekeeping commitment in Lebanon, any measures taken against Iran that go beyond sanctions aren't going to be supported by anyone except the US and Israel.

A lot of the UN's even against sanctions, because they just impact Iran's large, moderate middle class and create resentment toward the West, which is of course just what the extremists want.

Anyway, my opinion, the guy's all talk. Let him talk. If he really is a danger, he's not hiding the fact, and sooner or later the world will see enough that they'll decide that he has to be dealt with - or not.

I think he's just using the lessons of Kim Jong Il and his dad, bluffing and threatening with the intention of giving in for the best deal possible - then doing it again a few years later.

And by the way, yeah, I don't type "Ahmadinejad". I cut and paste it.

PhoeniX
Prolific

Post by PhoeniX » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:21 am

zappa wrote:So Dox, you support the right of a leader of a country that states that he would sacrifice half of Iran for the sake of eliminating Israel to speak?
Alright, so who decides what's 'evil' enough not to have the right to speak at the U.N.?

For example if half of the world thinks Bush isn't doing the right thing with the way he treats terrorist suspects, do we say he should not be allowed to speak at the United Nations? No, of course not.

What I'm trying to say is that your point of view on the freedom of speech is very arbitrary.

'We don't agree with what he says, so he should not be allowed to speak.' Regardless of what ridiculous things he says.

And I'm sure you can guess who is (jokingly) meant with the 'Stalin of America' ;)