islam, jews and the middleast.......

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

thewolf
Prolific

islam, jews and the middleast.......

Post by thewolf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:12 am

I found this page and look it through. Its def. worth a look.......comment please... http://www.conceptwizard.com/pipeline_of_hatred.html

PhoeniX
Prolific

Post by PhoeniX » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:45 pm

I don't see how the "islamic conflicts" (what a bullshit term) fit in the image if antisemitism.

Of course antisemitic things are going on, and they're going on everywhere in the world.

But I bet hatred against muslims is nowadays a lot larger.

20wattbulb
Elite

Post by 20wattbulb » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:15 pm

For us that live in the West this type of over-simplification of the Middle East's probem into a condensed Jew / Israeli vs. Islam argument seem misplaced. My feeling is that the real conflict is not that but a clash between modernity, civilisation and the secular state vs. radical fundamentalism whether Jewish, Islamic or Christian.

Who wants to actively live in peace with their neighbours? That's the real sign of a happy, surviving, profitable society but I'm not sure if it's human nature. I don't need to be radicalised or converted to any religion - I'll settle for plain living in peace.

Ask yourself one simple question about fairness and the state of the Middle East : Would we care for one second if we had all the oil?

20-watt-bulb

thewolf
Prolific

Post by thewolf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:08 pm

20-watt-bulb wrote:Would we care for one second if we had all the oil?
20-watt-bulb
Good question.......

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Somewhat related to why we care about the middle east is an article by Samual Huntington called The Clash of Civilizations.

It's kind of a dry read, but becomes more interesting once you realize that it is in large part the framework on which foreign policy in the Bush administration is based. Check out how many times he's used the phrase "clash of civilizations" in recent speeches - it's not by accident.

I'm not a big fan of the theory myself, it's basically just gussied up tribalism that downplays the mutual dependence of many nations across cultural boundries, and in a lot of ways it's a gross oversimplification that doesn't offer any more insight than other models...still, it's good to know where people are coming from when they're talking about this stuff.

zappa
Has barely posted

Post by zappa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:52 am

RingoCalamity wrote:Somewhat related to why we care about the middle east is an article by Samual Huntington called The Clash of Civilizations.

It's kind of a dry read, but becomes more interesting once you realize that it is in large part the framework on which foreign policy in the Bush administration is based. Check out how many times he's used the phrase "clash of civilizations" in recent speeches - it's not by accident.

I'm not a big fan of the theory myself, it's basically just gussied up tribalism that downplays the mutual dependence of many nations across cultural boundries, and in a lot of ways it's a gross oversimplification that doesn't offer any more insight than other models...still, it's good to know where people are coming from when they're talking about this stuff.
Wrong. The framework of US foreign policy is not based on the article "Clash of Civilizations". The US foreign policy understands that we are not dealing with a small group of deranged militants. Its not an accident, its common sense.

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:54 am

Please stop, you're making us dumber.

zappa
Has barely posted

Post by zappa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:01 pm

RingoCalamity wrote:Please stop, you're making us dumber.
Read "The Clash of Civilizations" again and speak only for yourself.

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:34 pm

Jumping in and putting my name in another locked poilitical debate thread! :roll:

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:10 pm

RingoCalamity wrote:Please stop, you're making us dumber.
Ringo wins..

weezer
Prolific

Post by weezer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:15 pm

ease it down guys. voice your opinions and not contradict others. Were not here to prove who is right or wrong.
If you want to pick fights do it in private msging( but keep it clean).
Lets keep our forums clean.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:56 pm

..it amazes me that everyone hasn't yet clued in to: dox is right, all the time, anytime. When he says "I was wrong" he really means "I was just messin' with ya" ;)

Buzzed
Prolific

Post by Buzzed » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:12 pm

OK you guys. I want this room kept clean at all times. This is the last time I am going to sweep in here. Learn to pick up after yourselves.
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.