Mandatory fingerprinting of UK pub patrons? WTF?!

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Mandatory fingerprinting of UK pub patrons? WTF?!

Post by dox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:24 pm

F***ing WHAT?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/20 ... gerprints/

..that's unreal guys. Sorry to say it but the UK just plummeted from one of the top places I'd live somewhere closer to the USA :)

Moorzo
Elite

Post by Moorzo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:42 pm

why, sounds good to me, means you can go out and have a good laff with yur mates in the pub without haveign any wankers trying to kick off trouble.

could encourage more people to go to the pub !
Too pro for one, or lazy ....... you decide !

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:47 pm

Does this not reek of 1984 / V is for Vendetta to you? Who ends up with your fingerprints? What assurances of that do you have? In your country don't you only get fingerprinted if you're accused/convicted of a crime? Who controls that information? Is it worth giving up this kind of information for a drink? Was the public asked if they like this idea? Is it connected to a general criminal database or just a pub offenders one? If not, will it ever be?

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:02 pm

Yeah, this is kind of strange. I think there is a place for people that disrupt society... it's called jail! If they aren't bad enough to be behind bars I think they have the right to be there drinking. (until they cause trouble, then end up in jail)

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Well, in nyc some clubs and bars have license scanners to see if they are real. Why don't they just use that? But I guess a fingerprint can be used less than a license. With a license you can get a social security number, address etc. With a fingerprint you can get into a bar. There currently is no place online where you can enter a fingerprint and get information. You would need to go to the police station to get anything with it. If someone really wants your fingerprint at a bar, they can just grab your empty beer bottle lol.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:11 pm

use the print to create fake prints to plant evidence at a crimescene and hope to get away with whatever crime you are guilty of?

perhaps that was a bit far-fetched, maybe not... don't even know if that's possible, just thinking out loud here :)

EDIT: but to be serious, having someone take your fingerprints provokes a feeling of guilt, perhaps even paranoia, as we all know that's what the police does to the bad guys, this we have been taught ever since we were children ^^

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:14 pm

yeah, but like I said, if someone wanted your prints so bad they would take your bear bottle off the bar. Its easier for someone to get a hold of that then the thumb scanner.

edit: yeah, it may make you feel guilty, but I guess change needs to start somewhere. Opinions may change once it becomes part of habit. Having the bouncer put the light in my face all the time makes me feel guilty, but I know I did nothing wrong, so after a while I'm just like whatever.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:19 pm

beelzebub wrote:yeah, but like I said, if someone wanted your prints so bad they would take your bear bottle off the bar. Its easier for someone to get a hold of that then the thumb scanner.
though that print could be a bit smudged ;)

I mean, who knows... it begins with documenting fingerprints, and suddenly one day, someone got a machine that can transfer fingerprints, and the only price is a load of pain...
I mean, it did work in "Beneath a Steel sky", and just look how far technology have come since that game :P

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:23 pm

the one way they can make the system to not be abused is if the machine that scans your finger has something along the lines of a windshield wiper. After each scan it runs down the area and cleans it.

Muaddib
Intermediate poster

Post by Muaddib » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:34 pm

dox wrote:Does this not reek of 1984 / V is for Vendetta to you?
That is actually the first thing I thought of!

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:03 pm

I get pretty concerned when I see people NOT freak out about this kind of stuff.. It seems obvious to me that I've got to come up with a better way to articulate it -- of course if you're worried about someone getting your fingerprints then you'd better wear gloves / watch what you touch; it's the systematic fingerprinting that rubs me the wrong way. I've already lost my fingerprints to my government but that was when I was going through the judicial system, nonetheless I don't like this one bit and don't think others should have to deal with it unless they're being treated like criminals.

5URF3R
Prolific

Post by 5URF3R » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Like I would trust some random pub with my fingerprints....ha. That's almost as bad as giving out your SSN to rent movies.

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:22 pm

in nyc when kids are young, schools take them to police stations and have them give fingerprints during their "tour". Of course waivers are signed by parents before you go, but the child doesnt have the right to wait until he is old enough to decide for himself. My fingerprints are already in the system, and there is nothing I can do about it.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:21 pm

..except fight for those who haven't yet been victimized

beelzebub
Prolific

Post by beelzebub » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:45 pm

your right Dox, and I'm not usually one to get beaten to the point of passivity, but in this case I was. If they want to implement such a system they need to do it with your drivers license or normal state ID. Everything has bar codes on them now.