Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by dox » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:14 pm

http://cbs11tv.com/sports/micah.grimes. ... 17557.html
article wrote:The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper stating he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity" and posted a detailed explanation on a hoops Web site.
article wrote:Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. The team remains winless during the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.
What is this world coming to? Are "learning differences" such as short attention spans or dyslexia the same as retardation? I don't think so.

Holyman
Prolific

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Holyman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:19 pm

haha saw this on skysports news earlier, haven't you heard that should always think about the other teams feelings when playing a competitive sport dox? Not doing so is not the competitive spirit god would like!

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:51 pm

He could've just as easily walked over and said "I'm sorry that your team sucks"

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 pm

Vengeance wrote:He could've just as easily walked over and said "I'm sorry that your team sucks"
or sorry, you retards? who agreed to this match is the question?

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:31 pm

redfireant3 wrote:
Vengeance wrote:He could've just as easily walked over and said "I'm sorry that your team sucks"
or sorry, you retards? who agreed to this match is the question?
Exactly! Why was that team even scheduled to play them?

Yes, what is this world coming to? But is it the world or the "Western World" that's dumbing everything down for our youths. I'm sure you've all heard of schools banning tag and dodgeball here in the U.S. I wonder if the Chicoms are doing the same with their young?

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Some teachers are being told not to use red ink because its "too negative".

roids
Has barely posted

Post by roids » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Its a competitive sport....you play to win.... like if your beating a team then trying ridiculous stuff then yeah that's no honor...but if you play hard and your not being a dirtbag when you play....why stop if your winning....go hard the whole game...that coach should be brought back...best win that school will ever have lol

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

banning tag?!
That's so dumb, it could happen here! :(
3ntropy wrote:Some teachers are being told not to use red ink because its "too negative".
That's just daft! The reason teachers use red ink is because it's not very common among pupils, and it sticks out, thus it's easy to see what corrections / comments the teacher wrote on, let's say, a test or a page the student handed in... fucking hell, I can't tell if they are wannabe-psychiatrists or wannabe-politicians, but either way, is it that hard to use their brains a bit?

T_Patch36th
Elite

Post by T_Patch36th » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:13 pm

The reason people got in a snit was because he kept running his full court press until the end of the game and putting up 3 pointers. Their goal was to score 100. Well, that's fine if it you are up by a reasonable amount, not 90 plus or whatever it was. The unspoken rule amongst coaches is, when I am kicking your ass, I will put in all of my reserves. My guys will still play good fundamental hard basketball and try to score, but I will pull off my press and stop taking 3's.

He knows better. Also, when your bosses (the School Board) make a public apology and you publicly denounce that apology, you might as well pack your bags, because you are fired.
wwii-ww2-hitler-demotivational-post

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:11 pm

It's kinda like playing a new clan at a game and just spawn raping them mercilessly the entire match instead of pulling back from the spawn area and just defending the cap zone itself. In football, its like having a 10 touchdown lead in the fourth quarter and going for it on fourth downs and passing deep etc. It's just unsportsman like. So, you have to look past the title and see the details to make an informed decision.

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 pm

would spawn camping them help them get to grips with what can happen in matches and help them more in the end? Why do people think cuddling and hiding bad things helps people more than exposing them to the harsh realities of what can happen when you're simply just not that good.

If I play someone on FIFA(a soccer game to you yanks! :P) I'm not gonna stop trying to score goals when I'm 4-0 up because it might hurt his feelings and I'm sure as hell not going to complain when someone does the same to me, it helps you see what you're doing wrong especially if the same person exposes that weakness time and time again it makes you better.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:33 am

theres one thing educating someone by exposing their weaknesses, and then theres just disrepectfully annihalating and demoralising someone. i think theres an obvious line between these two, and its obvious they crossed it. its all fun and games when your doing the pwning but a little empathy would show that the other team aren't enjoying it either.

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:36 am

It's called sportsmanship. Plus you are dealing with young kids in a public forum. The same kids you are partially responsible for teaching and coaching. Use some sense. Games are not just about winning, its also about building relationships and interacting with others. It's a social event as well. None of the RO guys will doubt my competitiveness, but neither will they say that I am needlessly abusive, dishonorable or craven. The fact that something can happen doesn't make it right.

No one suggested cuddling or hiding things. The fact was that the actions had no point. It's like beating a dead animal or typing in game smart ass comments from tough keyboard jockies that would get them in trouble in the "real" jungle world.

T_Patch36th
Elite

Post by T_Patch36th » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:46 am

Conversely, if you are up 40-0 (not 4-0) in your soccer game, are you still going to be pounding the other team with your first team players? [-X
wwii-ww2-hitler-demotivational-post

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:50 am

There's not enough time to run across the pitch to score forty goals in a game (or maybe there is with some fantastic passing and non-existent defense).

So where to draw the line? Surely you wouldn't be proposing that these "unwritten rules" apply to professional level sports, nor that the "social event" of a college-level American football match should be toned down in this manner given these circumstances, would you? Where do you draw the line - and why? ..or is there no line to draw?