Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Buzzed
Prolific

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Buzzed » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:59 pm

In my opinion (through many years of playing sports) sportsmanship means that even though you may be beating the other team badly you never run up the score and never rub their noses in that fact that you are handing them a beating. That means, you take your foot off the gas and put in your second and even third string players if possible.

Prime Example.

This year in the first round of Hockey playoffs my team was up against a team that was no where near our skill level. We knew it and so did they. When the score was 5 - 0 for us we called a time out as a team and decided not to embarrass them and ease up. The game was a lot more fun for both teams and they thanked us when the game was over for not running up the score. That is sportsmanship.

Many Pro sports teams will put in their second and third string players once the game is out of reach but I have also seen Pro teams that did not follow this unwritten rule. Thats right, it is an unwritten rule that "almost" all teams will follow. I have seen the results of not following this unwritten rule and it usually ends up with a ton of animosity and hatred for the team that ran up the score. It has also resulted in rematches getting out of hand to send the message back to the offending team that you never, ever, intentionally embarrass the other team. I am not condoning the action of revenge by no means but this is how it usually ends up playing out.

Dox I agree with "most" of your rebuttal for Falcons statement but there was one where I honestly fell off my chair laughing.
This one. "you don't see e-sports players sweating and dealing with pain". Sorry Dox but an e-sports player (not an Athlete, but a player) sitting behind a computer in a hot room "Sweating" does not count as Sweating from the result of actual physical exertion. Lets be realistic. There are people out there that can work up a sweat just from the act of breathing on a hot day.
Now we move onto the pain part. I have "Never" suffered an e-sports injury of any type unless you count a hang nail but, I have suffered many sports related injuries where I had to suck it up and play through the pain. I had a Type 3 shoulder separation that happened in a collision during a hockey game and even though it hurt more that I could have ever imagined
I (like an idiot) played through it. That is playing through a sports injury.

I don't know if the coach of the girls basketball team should have been fired but, he should have been reprimanded for his actions. He lost sight of what many consider what sportsmanship is by allowing his team to run up the score and embarrass the other team. To me he has one of the attitudes I hate the most which is "Win at all costs". There is no excuse for this.
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:42 pm

In TF2, we play first to 5. Say we're up 4-0. Which is more sportsman-like?
1. Finishing off the game
2. Running "off-classes" (2 pyros, 2 spies, 2 snipers or whatever) that aren't effective whatsoever, but might get some laughs by our own team in ventrilo.
In the first one, we're still giving it our all, and in the second one, we're easing up. I'd say the first one is a lot more respectful, and so would a lot of worse teams than us that have actually THANKED us for a scrim, because we didn't just screw around.

Buzzed
Prolific

Post by Buzzed » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Fish, Trying to stomp your opponent into the ground in a video game and beat them by as much as possible has been accepted/expected in the gaming world for as long as I can remember. This does however tend to lead to rage quits depending on the person and their team. There is a huge difference between video gaming and sports athletes and just because it is called e-sports, it does not make one an athlete.

You honestly can not compare the two together.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:50 am

Well if you can easily think of e-sports as "lol nerds playin video games sweatin in their computer chairs" it's pretty obvious you aren't really in much position to be comparing sportsmanship in physical sports / leagues to competitive gaming in the first place.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:59 am

Sports and athletics aren't synonymous, which I think is screwing up your perception of the two.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:13 pm

3ntropy wrote:Well if you can easily think of e-sports as "lol nerds playin video games sweatin in their computer chairs"
I'm pretty sure buzzed didn't assume that, i completely agree with buzzed, you can't compare the two, so the argument for e-sports sportsmanship is invalid. In physical sports its a lot harder to recieve a beatdown, your already tired physically and then you have to suffer a dent in your morale, its not nice being on the receiving end, and trust me, its not nice dishing it out either.

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:22 pm

I was once in a basketball game where we were losing by a 3-digit margin. My train-of-thought was more or less, "Yeah, they're better than us, oh well. Time to run to the other side of the court." I've found being ripped apart in an online game to be much more frustrating, but maybe that's just me.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Not so fast. If you're going to call golf, bowling and curling a sport you'd better add video games in there as well. Otherwise: proceed.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:58 pm

dox wrote:Not so fast. If you're going to call golf, bowling and curling a sport you'd better add video games in there as well. Otherwise: proceed.
i'm not calling them 'sports' and they're certainly not 'athletes'.

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Maybe we should define what constitutes as a sport?

Buzzed
Prolific

Post by Buzzed » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:30 pm

Sorry to say Ent but, Having played sports all of my life and video games for over 10+ years I think I am in a better position than you to to be comparing sportsmanship in physical sports to competitive gaming. I never said the word nerds but thanks once again for putting words in my mouth.

What is a sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

What is an Athlete : a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

What is athletic: physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports.

What is the definition of Sportsmanship :the character, practice, or skill of a sportsman. sportsmanlike conduct, as fairness, courtesy, being a cheerful loser,

Dox, golf, bowling and curling are considered sports in the eyes of many but I would tend to lean more to the recreation side of the house. Although each one does have physical exertion of one type or another.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:34 pm

So...Drum Corps is a sport? I'd consider a sport to be a competitive activity where winning or losing is determined solely by the skill of each team.

WolfPack
Exuberant

Post by WolfPack » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:23 pm

alright, so there a bad team, you dont just hand someone victory because they are worse then you. In this case pity can be worse than pride, a team doesn't get any better by being handed a win or by the other team taking it easier. most sports teams are never successful when they begin, the basic drive of an athlete is to achieve something or to beat someone, if they win just because people feel sorry they never have any incentive to train harder or become better. You can only taste great victory if you have been handed a great defeat.

An army of sheep led by a lion, can defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

How much we ought to dread the jaws of hell, if the jaws of so small an animal as a wolf can make a whole city tremble through fear

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Well, there's a general concession that the sports I listed aren't in the same category as what you guys are talking about in which case I'll certainly agree that playing Lacrosse doesn't compare on a physical level to e-sports, but clearly there's a shortage of words here somewhere.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Buzzed wrote:Sorry to say Ent but, Having played sports all of my life and video games for over 10+ years I think I am in a better position than you to to be comparing sportsmanship in physical sports to competitive gaming.
and you've spent how much time in the realm of 'pro' gaming? oh right