Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Buzzed
Prolific
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Vancouver Island
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Buzzed » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Shadow, no one here is talking about handing your opponent a victory. You never intentionally lose because someone is not as good as you. If they want to win then they must earn it.

This discussion was about a girls basketball coach who broke an unwritten rule in Sports by embarrassing the other team and the school his team represented. Great Sportsmanship.

Ever heard the term "sore winner"? This is a prime example of it. He refused to apologize for his actions and the actions of his team and was in turn fired.

Somewhere in this post e-sports was introduced and members trying to interject that video game players fall into the same category as an athlete. Hell, Fish even went as far as to try and ask if Drum Corp is a sport. I almost fell off the couch laughing at that one. Whats next? Chess? Checkers?

Just because it is called e-sports does not mean the players are athletes and in my opinion they never will be. I have considered myself a gamer (although not a very good one) but have never considered myself an athlete for playing video games. I consider myself an athlete due to the physical sports I actually play.
Image
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Buzzed
Prolific
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Vancouver Island
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Buzzed » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:25 pm

3ntropy wrote:
Buzzed wrote:Sorry to say Ent but, Having played sports all of my life and video games for over 10+ years I think I am in a better position than you to to be comparing sportsmanship in physical sports to competitive gaming.
and you've spent how much time in the realm of 'pro' gaming? oh right

And you spent how much time in the realm of sports ? Oh right. Fuck off you twit!!!!!
Image
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

ent
Prolific
Posts: 4136
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:46 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by ent » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Buzzed wrote:And you spent how much time in the realm of sports ? Oh right. Fuck off you twit!!!!!
two years of tennis, two years of golf, two seasons of paintball, one year of airsoft

but then again I didn't go around being all like "sorry to say buzzed but having played video games all of my life and sports for for over 7+ years I think I am in a better position than you to to be comparing sportsmanship in physical sports to competitive gaming"

and I didn't make a blind assumption towards you like you did with me and sports, unless you have some secret pro gaming career you've been holding out on us

oh and I didn't tell you to go fuck yourself either

Buzzed
Prolific
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Vancouver Island
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Buzzed » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:55 pm

3ntropy wrote:it's pretty obvious you aren't really in much position to be comparing sportsmanship in physical sports / leagues to competitive gaming in the first place.
Actually Ent, you did say I was in no position to be comparing or did you forget what you posted earlier. I never said I had a Pro video gaming past and I never will. But, I have played many video games in many competitive AMATEUR arenas over 10 years as many in this clan have. I must have however, missed your Pro gaming resume as I never saw it posted on these forums.

I am neither a Pro gamer nor a Pro athlete (never claimed to be either one) but I do have experience in both amateur gaming and Sports.

I never told you to go fuck yourself. I told you to fuck off. There is a difference.
Image
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

WolfPack
Exuberant
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by WolfPack » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:06 pm

when did this become a discussion on who's more qualified to make an opinion, its getting hostile in here really fast.
Image



An army of sheep led by a lion, can defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

How much we ought to dread the jaws of hell, if the jaws of so small an animal as a wolf can make a whole city tremble through fear

ent
Prolific
Posts: 4136
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:46 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by ent » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Buzzed wrote: I must have however, missed your Pro gaming resume as I never saw it posted on these forums.
Went to four CPL events, competed in two of them, attended Quakecon three times, wrote for 'Pro Gam3r' magazine, a small print magazine that was aiming to be the Sports Illustrated for e-Sports (not surprisingly it tanked), associated with a lot of pro Quake players. I've been to Fatal1ty's house a few times, I drove Gellehsak* five hours down to Austin, hung out with LoSt-CaUsE* a few times, and am friends with a lot of other Quake players that are less prominent but have still made quite a bit of money. Basically, if I wanted to pursue pro gaming I could have and had all of the help and training in the world, but I decided I would be better suited if I stayed in school and learned a real trade instead.

* google them

dox
Prolific
Posts: 18732
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:20 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by dox » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:03 pm

FINAL WARNING: Back on subject without resorting to name calling / insults. It was interesting until everyone whipped out their e-penises.

Fish #641
Fecund
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:55 am

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Fish #641 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:50 pm

I don't get why asking if Drum Corps is a sport or not is hilarious. Frankly, you have to be in better shape and use a lot more physical and mental stamina to march and play a 15 minute show non-stop perfectly than it does to do 30-second plays of football.
Again, athletics != sports. I don't consider gymnastics to be a sport because it's ultimately up to a third-party on who is the winner. Nevertheless, I consider gymnasts to be some of the greatest athletes in the world.
Image

lashley
Prolific
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:49 am
Location: Essex, England
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by lashley » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 pm

HiddenShadow wrote:alright, so there a bad team, you dont just hand someone victory because they are worse then you. In this case pity can be worse than pride, a team doesn't get any better by being handed a win or by the other team taking it easier. most sports teams are never successful when they begin, the basic drive of an athlete is to achieve something or to beat someone, if they win just because people feel sorry they never have any incentive to train harder or become better. You can only taste great victory if you have been handed a great defeat.
That is so untrue, if you get handed a beat down that severe, you just wanna quit. But if your losing by a large margin and the team goes easy on you, chances are their gonna have the courtesy to walk over to you after the match and reassure you that your doing ok and just need to practice a bit more. THATS sportsmanship.
Image

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

Buzzed
Prolific
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Vancouver Island
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Buzzed » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Fish #641 wrote:I don't get why asking if Drum Corps is a sport or not is hilarious. Frankly, you have to be in better shape and use a lot more physical and mental stamina to march and play a 15 minute show non-stop perfectly than it does to do 30-second plays of football.
Again, athletics != sports. I don't consider gymnastics to be a sport because it's ultimately up to a third-party on who is the winner. Nevertheless, I consider gymnasts to be some of the greatest athletes in the world.
Fish, Drum Corps/Marching Bands fall under the category of "The Arts" if you will. Music is one of the arts.
Though they have to be in shape to a degree can you honestly compare them to the shape that football players whom are going full out head to head play after play? Sorry but I don't see it.

You don't consider gymnastics a sport due to the fact it is up to a third party to decide who wins or not. So now I have to ask you, In a marching band competition who determines the winner? I am guessing there have to be judges involved whom would have to be trained making them the third party that determines the winner. By your previous statement it is not a sport by your own guidelines.
Image
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

[email protected]|con
Elite
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:13 pm
Location: Buzzed's House

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by [email protected]|con » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:11 am

lashley wrote:
HiddenShadow wrote:alright, so there a bad team, you dont just hand someone victory because they are worse then you. In this case pity can be worse than pride, a team doesn't get any better by being handed a win or by the other team taking it easier. most sports teams are never successful when they begin, the basic drive of an athlete is to achieve something or to beat someone, if they win just because people feel sorry they never have any incentive to train harder or become better. You can only taste great victory if you have been handed a great defeat.
That is so untrue, if you get handed a beat down that severe, you just wanna quit. But if your losing by a large margin and the team goes easy on you, chances are their gonna have the courtesy to walk over to you after the match and reassure you that your doing ok and just need to practice a bit more. THATS sportsmanship.
QFT!

dox
Prolific
Posts: 18732
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:20 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by dox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:56 am

So subjective, how can this be "true" to *everyone*? It's clearly not since I disagree, so giving this notion some kind of 'universal truth status' has to be wrong.

When I'm getting pwnt I take an opportunity to focus on a smaller part of the big picture and test myself against a better opponent on more narrow terms so as to extract as much as I can from the experience; learn, improve. I get pissed if someone starts pulling back on me: if you're going to crush me, crush me, I'm a big boy - I know how to make the most of it.

Perhaps these "sportsmanship" lessons might contribute toward a nicer society but they don't give you any preparation for getting your face pwnt on a bad business deal, corporate jockeying or being sorely outclassed in a street fight. Useless in those terms.

Fish #641
Fecund
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:55 am

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Fish #641 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:16 am

Oh yeah, I definitely don't consider Drum Corps to be a sport. I also know that it requires everyone to be in a top mental and physical condition (especially the people crazy enough to play tuba).
Image

lashley
Prolific
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:49 am
Location: Essex, England
Contact:

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by lashley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:47 am

A. this is all irrelevant to the crucial point, you guys can argue whats a sport and whats not a sport all day, but it still wont help your argument as to whether the coach should have been fired or not. I think he had to be fired, and for one simple reason, he didn't apologize, not only that he sent an e-mail to a local newspaper stating that he wouldn't apologize, that sounds to me that hes trying to publicize their beat down even more. Now i apologize, as i haven't been at the heights of pro gaming for, what was it? 7 years? and I'm not a high level of basketball (the only sport that matters in this argument). But I'm not an idiot, and if a coach of a varsity team destroys an opposing team 100 - 0, not bringing out reserves, not changing tactics, i can realize that yeah, that's bad sportsmanship. And furthermore, if he doesn't apologize when he is given the chance to, then he will and should get fired for incompetence.

B. what does QTF mean?
Image

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

Fish #641
Fecund
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:55 am

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by Fish #641 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:25 am

QFT stands for "Quoted for Truth" (essentially, "I agree").

The guy defended what he believed in, and he did it in a dignified way. I don't think that should be a good reason for termination, especially when what he believed in was not backing down in a game.
Image

Post Reply