Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

ent
Prolific

Re: Win a game, don't apologize for doing so, get fired

Post by ent » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:06 am

lashley wrote:I think he had to be fired, and for one simple reason, he didn't apologize, not only that he sent an e-mail to a local newspaper stating that he wouldn't apologize, that sounds to me that hes trying to publicize their beat down even more.
He wasn't trying to advertise their beat down, he was as outraged as some of us are (if not more due to personal connection) that he was being forced to apologize for having a superior team.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:29 am

3ntropy wrote:
lashley wrote:I think he had to be fired, and for one simple reason, he didn't apologize, not only that he sent an e-mail to a local newspaper stating that he wouldn't apologize, that sounds to me that hes trying to publicize their beat down even more.
He wasn't trying to advertise their beat down, he was as outraged as some of us are (if not more due to personal connection) that he was being forced to apologize for having a superior team.
hes not being forced to apologize to anything, he came out and stated that he wouldn't apologize that's a sack-able offense (incompetence) and he deserves everything he got.
fish #641 wrote:The guy defended what he believed in, and he did it in a dignified way.
Their certainly was nothing dignified about the way he acted, unless you class the complete demoralization of a girls school team 'dignified'.
fish #641 wrote: I don't think that should be a good reason for termination, especially when what he believed in was not backing down in a game
He didn't have to 'back down' just mix your team up, try something new, at halftime the score was 59 - 0 did you know that. any decent coach would think, the game won the girls have had a blast, learned some stuff and we've got another win, lets hold back so we don't completely humiliate the opposing team.

i think your both underestimating the margin of the win 100 - 0, that's ridiculous, i get annoyed losing 1 point, i certainly wouldn't want to endure that 100 times over. that's the sort of score that makes you quit playing sports competitively.

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm

What about firing the other coach for failing to teach his team how to play the game?

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 pm

dox wrote:What about firing the other coach for failing to teach his team how to play the game?
you can't just teach random people to be good at game, it takes hard work and dedication from the players, and even if you get that, they still have to have some amount of skill in basketball. Some weren't born to play sports competitively, and i think the team that got trashed wasn't, that's what makes it even worse. You argue 'if your going to crush me, crush me' so you can learn everything you possibly could out of the game, but these girls didn't want to learn, they didn't even have the motivation or interest to rally and score one point, between them.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:16 pm

lashley wrote:these girls didn't want to learn, they didn't even have the motivation or interest to rally and score one point, between them.
and so they deservedly got crushed.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:24 pm

lashley wrote:he came out and stated that he wouldn't apologize that's a sack-able offense (incompetence) and he deserves everything he got.
Saying, "I'm not going to apologize" has nothing to do with how competent you are.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Fish #641 wrote:
lashley wrote:he came out and stated that he wouldn't apologize that's a sack-able offense (incompetence) and he deserves everything he got.
Saying, "I'm not going to apologize" has nothing to do with how competent you are.
In this scenario it is, because an apology would have amended the situation and he wouldn't have lost his job. But he failed to realise that.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:48 pm

3ntropy wrote:
lashley wrote:these girls didn't want to learn, they didn't even have the motivation or interest to rally and score one point, between them.
and so they deservedly got crushed.
no one deserves to get crushed in my opinion. The point i was making is that its not like its the NBA, these girls don't care if they win or lose, but if its by that margin, and that relentless, then their gonna feel real beat up about it. Their not gonna learn anything from this game. It seems like your comparing a varsity team to the LA Lakers.

Buzzed
Prolific

Post by Buzzed » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 pm

dox wrote:What about firing the other coach for failing to teach his team how to play the game?
Wasn't that the same philosophy that CrackatusPotts had? Shoot the commander because the soldiers failed to win the war.
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:02 am

Buzzed wrote:
Wasn't that the same philosophy that CrackatusPotts had? Shoot the commander because the soldiers failed to win the war.
It's not that they failed to win the war, it's that they failed to fire their rifles.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:04 am

lashley wrote:In this scenario it is, because an apology would have amended the situation and he wouldn't have lost his job. But he failed to realise that.
I really doubt he would have done that if he knew he was going to get fired for it. And there's certainly nothing wrong with having a spine.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 am

3ntropy wrote:
lashley wrote:In this scenario it is, because an apology would have amended the situation and he wouldn't have lost his job. But he failed to realise that.
And there's certainly nothing wrong with having a spine.
In this case there was, as he found out.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:23 pm

lashley wrote:
3ntropy wrote:
And there's certainly nothing wrong with having a spine.
In this case there was, as he found out.
Which is why this entire situation is silly. It's not preparing people for the real world- it's actually doing the complete opposite.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Hes an adult he should be ready for the big wide world.

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:26 pm

lashley wrote:Hes an adult he should be ready for the big wide world.
He was talking about the children. If you're coach gets fired for standing up for something he beleives in, what are the children going to learn?