Burn the books! wtf?

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

skullhead
Prolific

Burn the books! wtf?

Post by skullhead » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwdOwgD5OsY[/youtube]

Some crazy people out there?

redfireant3
Prolific

Re: Burn the books! wtf?

Post by redfireant3 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:18 am

he had one point with the marketing then his obsession about brainwashing and and anarchyburgers just made his credibility points flush to zero.

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:20 am

Wow that woman came across as ridiculous...if only she could articulate as well as our president.

My prediction is this... as this movement grows there will be more and more snapshots/clips like this that will attempt to portray everyone involved as fringe lunatics. They will try and deflect from the real message and focus everyone's attention on people who sound and look radical in attempt to paint the whole movement as such.

For sure this will be interesting to watch. If it grabs hold there's no telling where it will go because it grounded in our constitution and bill of rights and not based on a hatred of one individual. Hopefully it stays that way and doesn't turn into an "Obama thing".

Power$hot
Prolific

Post by Power$hot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:46 am

Pack your bags, your going away choppo and Hans and me. :D

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... -on-right/

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:56 am

Power$hot wrote:Pack your bags, your going away choppo and Hans and me. :D

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... -on-right/
Actually, you and I should go join Hans.....http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/12227/

Spare bedroom Hans? Power you can sleep in the basement, oh wait they don't have basements in Texas right?

ranknfile
Prolific

Post by ranknfile » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:04 am

("..we long ago reported that strict parenting and a variety of personal insecurities work together to turn people against liberalism, diversity, and progress. But now that we can map the brains, genes, and unconscious attitudes of conservatives, we have refined our diagnosis: conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death.")

This in not in an insulting way at all to anyone, just found it to sound about right.

skullhead
Prolific

Post by skullhead » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:15 am

Wow, this is kind of a scary thing. A lady yells burn the books and you guys honestly support that statement? Really? I guess maybe send your kids to Orel Roberts U? It has nothing to do with being articulate either we all know that these people are extreme but thats what makes it so funny, and scary.

That guy is gunna stop paying taxes because he doesn't like how its being spent? Now he knows how I felt the last 8 years. I guess he's not as light hearted as me.

Obama has been president a few months and Texas wants to secede? Really? Get a grip Tex we need you. A texan ran the country into the ground and now you want to bail on us as we rebuild? We need you guys now more than ever!

What exactly is the issue? What has our new president done that has effected your life in a way that you would want to join a separatist movement. Is it just the rhetoric? Do you feel threatened in some way? Has a right been taken from you that maybe hasn't been felt by me yet? I am honestly curious as I am the first to badmouth the government. Is it a religious thing? Help me to see where this is coming from.

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:18 am

I'm not sure who actually supported that statement...I sure didn't. I just was trying to get the point across that she doesn't represent the vast majority of us who are sick of our government and the way it has been run for the past 60 YEARS, not just the past 60 DAYS. Scary? She's scary? The only people who have ever come into my home packing heat are employed by our government, now that's scary, that's who scares me, not some woman talking non-sense about god and church.

This is not a right wing - left wing, republican - democrat, Bush - Obama, it's a whoever is in charge is raping us over and over no matter what party they belong to. What amazes me is that more people don't feel threatened. They stole our money and gave it away, how does that not anger you? They stoked anger against private citizens. How are you ok with that? The employees of AIG had death threats, they had mobs standing outside their houses and this was all done and promoted by our government to pass their bs through. One tenth of 1 percent of that money went to bonuses for AIG employees while the rest of the billions went elsewhere and some of it overseas to European banks. Do our dollars belong going overseas? Should we as individuals fund private companies?

The issue is our constitution, our freedom, our liberties.

On that note... I was hood winked by our last President, he did plenty to anger many of us. Honestly most of us who supported him were probably not vocal against him because we felt as though we are picking between the lesser of two evils. Well that doesn't work because you still end up with evil in the end.

Remember divided we fall.

Would you rather get behind a man or would you rather get behind the document that gave you your rights?

Rank you tell me what you think the attitude of a conservative is because it has nothing to do with personality. We are all victims of putting people into boxes...it's bad practice.

Edit: Linking conservatism with Bush and Liberalism with Obama is ignorant. Bush persuaded conservatives to vote for him by lying and Obama did the same with liberals. Conservatives feel screwed by Bush as liberals will feel from Obama.
Last edited by Choppo on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Power$hot
Prolific

Post by Power$hot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:30 am

Just not people on the right who refuse to pay taxes, the left also.

http://needsofthemany.blogspot.com/2007 ... taxes.html

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:41 am

I'm curious to what everyone thinks they pay percentage wise in taxes in relation to to their gross. It's tough to figure because your paying so much of it everywhere you go.

Literally, I drive(that they tax me on) to work to make money (that they tax me on) so I can afford to live somewhere (that they tax me on) so I can sleep and be rested to go to work so I can make money (that they can tax me on) so I can buy food(that they tax me on) to feed myself enough that I want to buy beer (that they tax me on + the deposit 5c for every can) so that I drink enough to arrive at an eternal sleep (that they will tax me on).

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:00 am

The Governor didn't consult me before he had that press conference. Hell, Texas is so big I didn't even know about that press conference until this post. What, 5 days later?

I really don't have the time to get too involved in this discussion.

I have the impression that the federal laws are being selectively enforced. For years, not just recently. This leads me to the question which federal laws do we need to follow? Its really an Equal Protection of Law issue. Feds seem to say, pay your taxes or we'll come after you. Never mind all the other selective enforcement of laws. My accountant showed me a stack of about 100 notices from the IRS where they are garnishing Social Security benefits from elderly people. They tank like 10% of each check because they are behind on taxes. Wow, talk about taking money from people who need it. Our government is too monolithic. It's too big. We can't expect the feds to provide everything for us. Leadership, initiative or morals.

1. Immigration laws are routinely ignored along the border and elsewhere in the US, like at jobs. This promotes disrespect for the law, creates a class of citizen that is afraid to contact law enforcement when necessary, frustrates the enforcement of law, doesn't encourage the immigrant to plant roots in the community and become involved and care about the community, creates hostility from and towards the illegal immigrant etc. (Remember all the Mexican flags being flown at the march for thier rights awhile back. WTF, oh no you didn't.)

2. Don't need to prove you are a US citizen to vote. We can't even require someone to have a photo ID to vote. Shit, I need a photo ID just to drive. Do you need a photo ID to vote in Mexico or Canada? Is a photo ID really that much of a burden to provide before you cast a vote? Is someone really a racist to think its a good idea?

3. Pork being handed out to people, companies or causes not truly in the interest of the people of our republic.

4. Federal Government wasting money on non-core government issues and other general waste.

5. Any system is only as good as the people who are a part of it. Craven people, craven system.

Notice that I have tried to address issues (albeit extremely thinly), not personalities or parties.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:39 am

They don't store our photos in Canada and compare them at the polling booth: though we do have to prove our address with two pieces of identification (neither of which have to have a photograph) which is then matched up to and then crossed off the list - what do you guys do?! I can't believe you'd actually do less..

Points 3 and 4 are practically the same there Hans - unless I'm totally not catching the meaning of "pork".

My experience with #1 has been largely limited to the northern border, but it has varied from laughably bad to stunningly tight with pretty much nothing in the middle.

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:02 pm

just a note..

Texas does not want to succeed <- spelling

they are just Declaring Soverintiy which is the 10th amendment.. Of the Constitution

which states that Any power not give to the Goverment (Feds) by they constitiotion does not have to be implied to the state..

aka The fucken Feds cant tell Texas how to run Texas.. unless of course they add a amendment that says they can lol. but we all know that would never happen

T_Patch36th
Elite

Post by T_Patch36th » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:56 am

The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution does not deal with the issue of sovereignty. No state of the United States has sovereignty, which is the exclusive right of a nation to be the supreme lawmaking authority and free from external control. An example of a non-sovereign nation would be the Czechoslovakian and Romanian "puppet regimes" that operated under the Soviet umbrella in post WII Europe.

The Tenth Amendment deals basically with the idea of federalism in a republican form of government. Federalism is the sharing of powers between federal, state, and local governments. The 1oth Amendment outlines which powers can be shared (concurrent powers) and which cannot be (exclusive powers).

Gov. Perry misspoke when he intoned that Texas could legally secede from the Union (loosely paraprhased). Texas , like all of the other states, has no such rights. Texas does, however, have a stipulation written into their annexation language that allows them to legally divide into a total of 5 separate states.
wwii-ww2-hitler-demotivational-post

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:28 am

That would really f with the balance of power in the US Senate! I think a better idea is to tell all Texans to calculate their federal taxes as usual. Then, instead of sending them to the federal government, send it to Austin. The state government would then use the money as they see fit. You see, its all about the money. That's the power. That's what the feds want. They want our money to send to their stooges so they can get rich while we scrape by from year to year. Americans don't even know how much in taxes they pay. ASk them and they'll say, oh I got a thousand dollars back this year. Well, that's nice, but how much did you pay in? I don't know. Then you add property taxes, and local sales tax, and state sales tax, and phone taxes and fess, and car registration fees and water sprinkler back flow tests each year, and water fees, and etc etc.

Our money is taxed when we earn it, its taxed when we spend it and its taxed when we save it and when we die.

We must be close to an effective tax rate of 50%. That means we only get 50 cents for every dollar we earn. That means the government is broken. I don't care what the name of the party to whom the president belongs to.

I wonder which state is in better overall shape? Texas or California? Stats anyone? Anyone have the time to do this research?