Did I miss the Obama Bows Thread?

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Hans
Prolific

Did I miss the Obama Bows Thread?

Post by Hans » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:15 am

Did I miss the discussion? Was it on any National news source? Was there a thead in the forums?

I have seen the video and the still photo and I have to say I am stunned. He bowed to the head of a foreign state. WTF? No US President should ever do that. Does his bow represent an inward feeling?

What do y'all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihCGy6YuFH8

billflu
Prolific

Re: Did I miss the Obama Bows Thread?

Post by billflu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:42 am

Does this mean the terrorists have won?

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 am

It's a bow or a trip. Whether it be the former or the latter it's quite a weak one to be honest, but there's definitely an over-bending of the back there. My feeling? I think he caught himself mid-bow and aborted the gesture when it dawned on him that what he thought was a cultural gesture could also be perceived as a subservient pose (that's some quick thinking there). Michelle groping the Queen of England lacked that same concern. These two are learning fast!

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:04 pm

I think Dox hit it right, and this is realy a non-story because he does appear to "catch" himself. Now sending the queen an Ipod and the PM DVD's now that is absolutely classless.

And it's not Terrorists but rather Freedom Fighters.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 pm

That was a full on Bow, it was long enough & he bent far enough over there is no mistaking it. No, I don't think he should of bowed. Although a bow shows respect, it also means submission.... which is something our President should not do. I personally will never bow to anyone except as a gesture of thanks & respect, & even then it will only be my head.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Choppo wrote:I think Dox hit it right, and this is realy a non-story because he does appear to "catch" himself. Now sending the queen an Ipod and the PM DVD's now that is absolutely classless.

1) What's classless about not wasting taxpayer dollars on some stupid customary gift noone gives a shit about?

2) The queen gave Obama a picture of herself. lol.

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Bet you any money Liz is listening to that i pod right now while she walks her Corgi's. lol

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 pm

3ntropy wrote: 2) The queen gave Obama a picture of herself. lol.
worth a damn site more than your whole country!

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Holyman wrote:
3ntropy wrote: 2) The queen gave Obama a picture of herself. lol.
worth a damn site more than your whole country!
..someone forgot that I was keeping track of their trolls: steeeeeeeruihke!

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:00 pm

3ntropy wrote:
Choppo wrote:I think Dox hit it right, and this is realy a non-story because he does appear to "catch" himself. Now sending the queen an Ipod and the PM DVD's now that is absolutely classless.

1) What's classless about not wasting taxpayer dollars on some stupid customary gift noone gives a shit about?
DVDs? WTF is that? Compared to what Brown gave him...yes it is classless. And a big LOL @ not wasting taxpayer dollars...Are you kidding me, what world do you live in because as far as I can see NOONE in our government gives two shits about about wasting taxpayer dollars, especially President Obama. I highly doubt his gift was chosen with the thought of saving us a few bucks.

Anyways, he continues to show his ignorance and the rest of the world is laughing at him....though the world thought Bush was a dunce atleast they knew better than to mess with him.

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm

dox wrote:It's a bow or a trip. Whether it be the former or the latter it's quite a weak one to be honest, but there's definitely an over-bending of the back there. My feeling? I think he caught himself mid-bow and aborted the gesture when it dawned on him that what he thought was a cultural gesture could also be perceived as a subservient pose (that's some quick thinking there). Michelle groping the Queen of England lacked that same concern. These two are learning fast!
Why didn't he bow further to the Queen? Why does he just happen to bow to a middle eastern monarch and not a western monarch? Is it a subconsious display of an inner feeling? Any body movement/posture etc experts out there? The flat of his head was facing the monarch and his face was pointed toward the floor! Would he bow to Putin like that too! Is his body gestures and tone telling the toughs out there that we are vulnerable?

ranknfile
Prolific

Post by ranknfile » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:00 am

Sounds like a case of paranoia Hans :P
Maybe he just thought it was the right thing to do.
Maybe not everyone thinks in terms of power.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 am

Hans wrote:
dox wrote:It's a bow or a trip. Whether it be the former or the latter it's quite a weak one to be honest, but there's definitely an over-bending of the back there. My feeling? I think he caught himself mid-bow and aborted the gesture when it dawned on him that what he thought was a cultural gesture could also be perceived as a subservient pose (that's some quick thinking there). Michelle groping the Queen of England lacked that same concern. These two are learning fast!
Why didn't he bow further to the Queen? Why does he just happen to bow to a middle eastern monarch and not a western monarch? Is it a subconsious display of an inner feeling? Any body movement/posture etc experts out there? The flat of his head was facing the monarch and his face was pointed toward the floor! Would he bow to Putin like that too! Is his body gestures and tone telling the toughs out there that we are vulnerable?
This one is easy: I can't recall any mental images of people bowing to the Queen (though curtsying, yes) nor Putin (though getting pwnt by his Judo, yes) though I can recall many mental images of people bowing to Arabs, Sultans, Popes and Dalai Llamas. I think it's a fuck up plain'n'simple. If people read in to it (friends and enemies alike) they're probably reading too much -- I find myself nodding my head a lot when I talk to elderly Chinese people, I find myself talking in an accent when I speak to French people that are speaking English. It's a cultural bias and in my books an understandable reaction; though pity that he didn't get trained on it beforehand with all that expertise and money!

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 am

ranknfile wrote:Sounds like a case of paranoia Hans :P
Maybe he just thought it was the right thing to do.
Maybe not everyone thinks in terms of power.
Rank we are talking about the President of the United States not a manager at Burger King.

It could be just a distraction...politicians are great at that. Remember President Obama wants another term so his actions and priorities will be politically motivated still.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 am

So...

You voted for McCain, he lost, and now you're nit picking every move that Obama makes to make yourself feel better? Sigh