Did I miss the Obama Bows Thread?

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Choppo
Exuberant

Re: Did I miss the Obama Bows Thread?

Post by Choppo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:01 am

I guess that would be American politics then, as I recall our last president was bashed for over 8 years. Personally I'm as mad with our congress as I am with our president and even more mad with the republicans because they didn't hold up to their promises. At least we got to stack the court a bit but with Justice "Foreign Court Living Breathing Document" on her way out President Obama will surely get at least one in.

And If that sigh is a right off then that will only make it easier so....Keep it up

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 am

Well, it isn't every day that the President of the United States bows to a foreign leader. I thought that was newsworthy. And, cracker jack that you are Vengeance, you will notice that I in fact haven't criticized the President in quite some time. I don't think I have commented on him critically since before his inauguration. That would be January 20, 2009 through April 14, 2009, a period of nearly 90 days. So, if that is your definition of nit picking, both time wise and quality wise, then I guess so. I honestly don't believe that is nit picking. I recognize that many don't think it is important that he bowed, but I do. You are amazed that I think it is relavent and significant. I am equally amazed that you don't.

This blogger made some interesting points. http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2009 ... owing.html

"The first thing we should contemplate is the simple question of: were the other Leaders of the World bowing to King Abdullah, or was President Obama the the only one? Are the other Leaders of the World that lacking in "simple courtesy"?

Secondly, were the other World Leaders bowing to each other? Again, if not, is every other World Leader lacking in "simple courtesy"?

Thirdly, did President Obama bow to any World Leaders other than King Abdullah? If King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia was the only World Leader bowed to by President Obama -- why? Are the other Leaders of the World not entitled to "simple courtesy"?

Last, but certainly not least -- was this "simple gesture of courtesy" returned? Did King Abdullah courteously return the bow?"

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:38 am

I dunno, it still just seems to me that the Republicans are having a field day nit picking Obama to try to, I dunno, cover up their 8 year mistake. :?

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:59 am

I don't doubt many are, because they make a living doing it. They make money doing political commentary, unlike the rest of us who have to go to work each day for our families.

One thing I want to look into is the benefits packages for US Representatives and Senators. See what type of health care and pension and salary etc. they get. And we need to stop some of these idiotic fact finding missions that do no more than pay for their famliy vacation at our expense. It's basically dishonesty. They are making us pay for something that they should pay for. And its maddening to me. Most people in the US can't even afford a vacation and these peoples representatives are living high on our tax money.

My main concern is honesty, integrity, waste and fraud in our government that affects all of us. The sense that its become the government, by the government, for the government. Not so much the president(s), but the Reps and the Senators and the whole entity.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:50 am

I guess I don't really see the point here -- Hans: he bowed, and if he didn't it sure looked like he did. Did others bow to the Saudi? I don't know but Bill O'Reilly is not going to be the one to show you that because it'd weaken his rhetoric. Did Obama bow to others? I doubt it - you'd have a YouTube video going around of that already (probably to the tune of the Benny Hill song).

So, what's the point? Are you querying us as to whether we see it as a sign of weakness? If so: From my perspective, I'd call it unpreparedness more than weakness, which I suppose is a weakness in and of itself. As to how your 'friends' in the Middle East would react to that: I'm going to guess that the hardcore still think you're Satan's kiddies and the softcore might have a small percentage that was flattered by the bow and think better of you. When all tallied up I don't think this 'gesture' carries any real significance, there's other actions that have spoken much louder than this (eg: bombs on Baghdad, etc). Perhaps I'm just not getting where you're going with this? I'd entertain reading a theoretical scenario as to why this could have implications, but I'll admit I'm predisposed to laugh. It's still just a bending at the waist.

Power$hot
Prolific

Post by Power$hot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1_3DzsIO44[/youtube]

This is the real story, is Bo a second chance dog.

p.s. Kennedy with a water dog :lol: RIP Mary Jo

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Vengeance wrote:I dunno, it still just seems to me that the Republicans are having a field day nit picking Obama to try to, I dunno, cover up their 8 year mistake. :?
Republicans? Republicans are almost non-existent right now. We are much more than just republicans, we are democrats, we are independents, we are so many more things than the little box we are trying to be shoved into.

Power, I never even thought of Kennedy and water dog in those terms...That is just too much...Nobody could make this stuff up...LMAO

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:11 pm

This is indicative of the issue. You don't see it as bad. I do. My representative, the representative of the entire US bowed in submission to a monarch. It is a sign of submission. It is a sign of subservience. It wasn't just a social miscue. It isn't funny.

The point of the blog is, why does he only bow to a Muslim monarch and not a Christian one?

It was an outward expression of his inner feelings. It was a spur of the moment, involuntary expression of his beliefs.

I wonder what physical behavior analysts make of this? What would detectives or interviewers make of it?

It's also relavent because the issue of his religious background has been criticized. The issue of whether or not he is a US citizen has been questioned. Why he wouldn't just release his Birth Certificate to quell all that I don't know. But one or two people in Hawaii said he's cool. Then there is the little issue of him attending a hate mongering "church" akin to the K fing K fing K for how many years. But I never heard any of that hate speech cuz I missed those days. (Striaight out fing LIES to us) Then there are the friends that he keeps. ANY white person who did those things would be called a fing RACIST! So, no biggie at all. Forget I even mentioned it.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:21 pm

I definitely see it as bad; there's no doubt that it can be a sign of subservience and highly inappropriate for a President of the USA. Whoever 'prepared' him for this meeting didn't even bother going through a dry run and should therefore be fired.

As to the religious stuff - I'm not the right one to comment: I see people are religious or not religious, the distinctions between the various tales they believe in are of little significance to me.

ranknfile
Prolific

Post by ranknfile » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:46 pm

I think it's pretty obvious he saw money on the floor, went to pick it up, but didn't want to look cheap in front of them :lol:
Or he realized he needed to tie his shoe, but then realized it may look like a bow.
Or maybe he was unsure of the cultural way of greeting in the country.

I will put you guys in a box because it seems as if conservatives or republicans are the most paranoid. OOO Obama bowed, not a big deal. He was most likely unfamiliar with the customary tradition of greeting and may have thought it was bowing. This does not require extensive scrutiny- it was a mistake.
Yeah every country that saw that is going to attack us now because our president is such a weak guy.
Your logic doesn't make sense guys, bowing=american weakness?

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:21 pm

That's my one political post for this 4 month period. I'm done for another four months. :)

I need to block this section of the forums. I'll let Choppo and Power carry the torch!

Choppo
Exuberant

Post by Choppo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 pm

ranknfile wrote:I think it's pretty obvious he saw money on the floor, went to pick it up, but didn't want to look cheap in front of them :lol:
Or he realized he needed to tie his shoe, but then realized it may look like a bow.
Or maybe he was unsure of the cultural way of greeting in the country.

I will put you guys in a box because it seems as if conservatives or republicans are the most paranoid. OOO Obama bowed, not a big deal. He was most likely unfamiliar with the customary tradition of greeting and may have thought it was bowing. This does not require extensive scrutiny- it was a mistake.
Yeah every country that saw that is going to attack us now because our president is such a weak guy.
Your logic doesn't make sense guys, bowing=american weakness?
Your going to need a big box.

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:22 pm

OK, and I guess all you liberals are pussys.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:06 am

ranknfile
Prolific

Post by ranknfile » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:30 am

Hans! :oops: [-X