Quebec mega-city referenda

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Komet
Prolific

Quebec mega-city referenda

Post by Komet » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:37 am

Let's say that I'm quite unhappy with what happened tonight...
Montreal, my beautifull city, has been crippled. Same thing happened to it's south shore, Longueuil (where I actually live) where we lost 4 of our 8 cities... We even lost a part of where my parents live, in the Laurentians (Rivière Rouge city), a small village called La Macaza.
Way to go quebecers... What a great way to move forward. Oh well, if the citizens prefer to put their money time and efforts in a referenda that fucked our beautifull province up instead of building something better, it's their problem. Oh wait, it's my problem too, since my taxes will raise and municipal services management will become a nightmare. Thinking of all the people that went to vote today without even knowing what they were doing makes me sick...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

french link...
http://www.radio-canada.ca/url.asp?/nou ... NCHE.shtml
Last edited by Komet on Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

dox
Prolific

Well

Post by dox » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:53 am

Well, we had the reverse a few years ago in Toronto where we included more cities and towns in to Toronto, now we are the 3rd largest city in North America.. There's good and bad that comes with it, gotta love democracy though, eh?

Komet
Prolific

Post by Komet » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:09 am

Well, we did the same a few years ago, that's when the mega cities were formed. The problem is that these fusions were forced. The public got pissed and asked for a law that would allow the merger to be undone. Our prime minister, the "honorable" -rofl Jean Charest, made this possible and won his elections because of that. The thing is that Charest is a sneaky little guy. The law (9) he made was so screwed up that he tought that no one would want to break the new cities. Well, he was wrong. People voted massively today, the participation level was incredible, blowing all the past elections participation levels in percantage. The broken mega cities will become one major problem to manage, creating a new kind of municipalities that never existed. Taxes will raise for most, partly due to the cost of the referenda. All the money that was spent in the fusions is nothing compared to the cost of the restructuration we will now have to face. The old cities will by no means regain the power they once had, heck, they will even have less power than when they were part of the mega cities. If people would have read the damn 9th law, none of this would have happened. They ignored it but now they will have to live with it's heavy consequences... Let the fun begin.

Atlas
Prolific

Post by Atlas » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:17 am

[lame matrix reference]
I guess now, we'll have to live in a place called Zion...deep down in the earth's crust where it's still warm....

*pulls out a shovel* Time to get crackin on the building...

[/lame matrix reference]

Well, the city I live in is so poor the state had to take over its finances. Taxes are so high that the city will probably NEVER HAVE INDUSTRY AGAIN...so much for the brass captial of the world...