Quit Facebook?

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Quit Facebook?

Post by dox » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:14 am

Hell, I never used it -- with no disrespect intended, I just never saw it more than a place for people that want their private lives posted and archived on the Internet and then piss all over their [ex]friends :) Did anyone drop their account?

http://www.quitfacebookday.com/

ent
Prolific

Re: Quit Facebook?

Post by ent » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 am

No reason to really quit now if you're suddenly concerned about privacy, seeing as how you've already forked over everything meaningful... might as well continue to post fart jokes on friends' walls

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:46 am

im gonna try to take this at each step why Facebook is like everyone else:

-if you want my name and address use the county tax collector site. unfortunately not everyone owns a home so Facebook reveals only the information you provide like i live in a house in Tampa... no address.
-make my likes/dislikes public wah! if I didn't want to be social then I wouldn't want to be on a social site. and if you join to keep in touch with someone and then don't type yo business!
-photos, thats really had to explain because if you were the star track runner in high school most likely your team or you were publish in your local newspaper which you tie that and your name and volla! your pic is on Google Images! and your "im so drunk i forgot my name" pictures well... maybe your face should be blurred out for your own protection.
-employment, are you serious? unless you are a 7-eleven clerk with no asperations to become anything better by all means put where you work otherwise be general like your address. or if itsa private business put the industry it is in.
-email spam, man I love gmail.
-finally, if you cant understand privacy controls I do want those people off Facebook because I BET you those are the people still using IE8 :D

I use facebook because "those people" are the guys on my paintball team and they cant check our team forums to I pester them on facebook to do that.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:16 am

I still use mine. For me, it's the easiest way to communicate with family, seeing as how I can't make calls on my phone and most family members don't have text messaging. I don't however, have much revealing information on there, and anything that is I have hidden from anyone except for friends.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:03 pm

I have no information on my Facebook profile I wouldn't give out to people in real life.

I mean, if someone really wanted information about me, all they need is my name and age, browse some sites I didn't sign up to.

The national registration system in Sweden is public, mainly meant for companies to hook up to their databases so they can send shit my way, but can be used by anyone. Some websites use this for "fun" features, like finding out when your friends' birthdays are, what celebrity is born the same date and with a login you can also find the entire social security number and adress of that person. Sure, you get the info of all people of the same name and age, but you're technically just a few qualified guesses away from sitting in a tree outside his/hers bedroom window.

So as long as I stick to what I consider common internet sense on facebook, I have about as much to fear there as I have on any other social network. I never discuss sensitive stuff on facebook, nor do I put myself in situations where embarassing pictures can be taken of me (nor do I have friends who would publish them on the internet) so I doubt there's going to be any problem with that either.

Heck, having spent some years working for various associations and organisations as chairman, projectleader and various posts that demands more or less networking and public relations, I'm used to people knowing shit about me before I even know their names :P
That being said, I have NOTHING on facebook I consider private, and I aim to keep it that way.

There are only two things I fear with facebook at the time being:
1) There's stuff on facebook I don't want there that I don't know about. I do however doubt there is, for the reasons explained above (i.e. Me not being an idiot, and my friends not being ones either)
2) People use my pictures without my knowledge. I mostly dislike this because I think it's just common courtesy to ask first. I know that this happens from time to time, because I've found people I know using my pictures without my knowledge (for instance once in a student magazine and once on a poster for a project I participated in) and I usually tell them why they're being fucktards, then let them use the pictures anyway, because I mostly care about the principal more than the actual action.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:16 pm

But it's not all about what you put up there -- think about what others put up w/out your knowledge and that is widely disseminated and you can't do a thing about it. I know plenty of asshats that take advantage of this nevermind the people that do it by way of ignorance.

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm

cant you untag yourself from photos? also someone else cant say you like something or can they?
dox likes: goats
3 other people like this too!

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:32 pm

You could still be tagged w/out having an FB account

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:46 pm

dox wrote:You could still be tagged w/out having an FB account
the best way to avoid this is having an account. And yes, that piece of fact rubs me the wrong way by principal...

However, this can be done anywhere, anytime. Before facebook people used to do this shit over MSN, or over other social networks... people do shit like that all the time on blogs

With the internet being as it is today, there's no way in hell you can avoid it. People will pull bullshit like that because that's how they are, not because FB grants them the opportunity to do so

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:31 am

dox wrote:You could still be tagged w/out having an FB account
But this can also happen on flickr or anywhere else for the matter

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:36 am

Of course it can, but Facebook is also so searchable and facilitates easy searching by social network, more so than most others (well, besides linkedin)

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:14 pm

I like facebook stalking my friends too much, |8]

But in all seriousness, I use to hate facebook, until I actually started using it. It's sorta became a nice way to stay in contact because most of my friends did move away from home to go to school.

It's a +/- facebook is really. One way it can be nice for your social/personal life and staying in contact with people, and on the other hand it could lead to embarrassing social upsets by people peeking in on your privacy and posting shit about ya.