To paddle or not to paddle

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

BlackHawk5
Prolific

To paddle or not to paddle

Post by BlackHawk5 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Battle brewing over paddling students

I grew up in a state that didn't allow corporal punishment. My parents did spank me as a child but the school wasn't allowed to. So I know what physical discipline is first hand, but I don't know what it's like in a school setting. I'd like to hear from our members that might live in the six states (Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia and Tennessee) that do allow it, or did encounter it as a child.

Were you paddled when you went to school? Did you know of anyone that was? How did if affect you or them?
If you have kids, do you agree or disagree with the methods. Have your kids been or know someone that was paddled, & what were their reactions to it?

And what about other countries that are represented here, does your country allow school teachers to paddle (hit a child on the bottom with a flat board) to discipline them? What are your thoughts on the subject?

I have a nephew that is a very troublesome kid. He'll do something bad (right after you tell him not to) & he'll out right lie to your face that he didn't do it.... & this is with family, he's worse at school. You can tell when he's about to do something wrong cause he gets a certain look in his eye, basically, he hasn't learned how to identify right from wrong. IMO "time out" just doesn't cut it for him & a series of butt kicking would make him think twice before he does something. Although his parents don't practice it, if he was paddled at home & the school were allowed to discipline him as well (the state they live in has banned it) the lessons would be consistent & he'd have a chance of growing up to be a well balanced person.

Hans
Prolific

Re: To paddle or not to paddle

Post by Hans » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 pm

I went to school in Texas. I was paddled once in 7th grade and deserved it. I never got paddled again and never deserved to be paddled again. I.E. I straightened up my conduct. It hurt and I didn't want to be spanked again. No lasting harm. Did lasting good. (In my opinion.)

I am for it when indicated, but only if parents give permission and in the presence of two school officials.

I think children can be different in how they respond to discipline. You need to discern what punishment will work with each child. Some forms to use; time-out, grounding them from something or everything (tv, playing outside, video games, etc.); scouldings, talking too's, hard lookings at, stern voice, yelling at them, spanking, positive reinforcement, treats, more time with a parent, etc. What do they react to? What works? What is appropriate?

Just read some of that article;

"The bottom line is that if we don't allow beatings in prisons or in mental institutions, then it's time we stop allowing it in our schools," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-New York."

Actually, that is a good reason to paddle in school. Get paddled in school, grow up to follow the law. People are trying to make the world safe from all harm whatsoever. That's just crazy. People need to grow up to be strong, resourceful, resilient and well developed. Every little slight can't be litigated or "corrected."

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 pm

I agree with the following statement:
Hans wrote:I think children can be different in how they respond to discipline.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:03 am

I wouldn't like a school administrator having the authority to hit my kid whenever (since it's basically leaving it up to arbitrary judgment). I'm not saying that it should be banned in the house though, as long as it doesn't tread the line of abuse. It's a gray area, unfortunately. :/

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:24 pm

I grew up in a school district where hitting children was never an option. However, the school was given special permission to spank my brother should he get out of hand. My brother has several mental issues that are now under control, but at the time was uncontrollable. Won't go into details, but spanking was one of the only things that would essentially teach him that his behavior at the moment was inappropriate. The school did, however, have to call my parents before administering this punishment and had to provide documentation that all other possible means of calming him down were used.

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Being 19, I got spanked, smacked, bar of soap, timeouts throughout my childhood from my parents.

In Michigan, teachers aren't allowed to touch students nor are students allowed to touch teachers.

A simple "No-Touch" policy.

If a kid acts up in...

Elementary School - "FROST". You have to stay inside during the 2nd recess of the day. If worse, principal.
Middle School - After school detention, suspension, principal, expulsion.
High School - Call security, Principal, after school detention, saturday detention, suspension, expulsion.

I do think though the schools need to be a lot stricter.

In my math classes I took with the same teacher my Junior and Senior year, the kids ran the class room, and the teacher would /always/ threaten to hand out 'pink slips'. Saturday detentions. But he never, so the students learned it was an empty threat.

Overall, IMO, I don't think spanking in schools should be allowed.

Havoc
Prolific

Post by Havoc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:33 pm

See most of all of your discussions on this topic so far is what I see wrong with this world today. A kid in school does something wrong and gets detention wow (it sucks to be there but hey whats an hour or so going to hurt) the kid will most likely do it again because that hour he spent didn't do jack. Its kinda like a guy that lives here shot his wife to death outside a bar that I was in one night and I saw her take her last breath. This guy spent about 10 years in prison and is now a free man. In my eyes he should have gotten a needle in the arm for it. Guess I am trying to say that neither of the two people in this example got enough punishment for the crime.

All through school for me I got paddled quit a bit. Just about every one that I got was for something different. Even though I got alot of them I did learn something from them and didn't want to do it again. We didn't get beat in school as children but more of a teacher really getting our attention. Now days there does have to be other teachers present at the time of a spanking and they do have to have the permission of the parents before they can do it.

My kid is actually a pretty good kid he is all "boy" and is going to play and get bored very quickly if what they are doing doesn't interest him. I do spank my kids when they need it. Now my kids know that I will tear their little butts up so now most of the time all I have to do is raise my voice at them and they correct themselves. Now my wife on the other hand does not spank them like she needs to and they run her over and don't mind her like they do me.
So to get on with this story, one day I get a call from the school teachers wanting to have a teacher parent meeting about my boy acting up in school. I show up and their are 3 female teachers sitting at a table and they start yapping away about my boy talking in class, not paying attention, poking the kid in front of him while in the lunch line etc. They go on for over an hour with my wife back and forth asking her what can they do to help correct the problem. After several failed attempts of finding the problem I finally spoke up and asked if they had ever taken him into the teachers office and paddled him for any of these things. They said no and then I proceeded to tell them the same story about my wife not spanking the kids. Told them the very next time they ask him to stop doing something and he doesn't stop doing it to take him in there and get his attention with a paddle. I then told them if they didn't that he would and the other kids would just run them over like my kid does my wife.

So in the end 100% YES to kids getting paddled in schools as long as its not a beating then Daddy gets to go have fun at school again. Most of our teachers now are scared to do it because some people try to drag them into court about it so whatever. I made sure that my kid is on the list to be paddled if he needs it and my little girl just moved into the bigger school now and I will be giving them permission to paddle her also.

If you let kids do what they want and not give them real punishment like they need without beating them or really hurting them then they wont learn crap and stay in trouble. Just look at how Alien turned out. He didn't get spanked near enough when he was a kid. He might have been dropped on his head a time or two but that was probably good for him:)

Beating and hurting kids I will kill you over it but spankings and such yea.

Oh Yea I'm from Mississippi btw...

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:51 pm

I agree with Havoc, altho my dad never hit me. he just yelled.. LOUD.. and that was good enough for me.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 pm

My dad always just treated me with respect, so I have never acted out. Funny how that worked.

Also, the entire prison/punishment system in America is totally screwed up. There have been countless documented cases of a person getting sent to jail for a non-violent crime (like laundering) and when they get out, they go and stab/shoot someone. Obviously whatever's happening right now is working against us.

Oh, and:
In Michigan, teachers aren't allowed to touch students nor are students allowed to touch teachers.
Yeah my ex band teacher would have benefited from this rule.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:46 am

Hehe - you had a molesting band teacher too?!

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 pm

No, it's that Fish was all over him <drumhit>

I got smacked and dragged and rapped [yes, two Ps] in school -- all it taught me (seriously) was: "don't get caught". I suspect that I'm far from being the only one to have taken their physical punishment and used it to become better at the activity for which I was being reprimanded.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:20 pm

dox wrote:... rapped [yes, two Ps] ...
rap battles, the most terrible form of punishment.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Ent wins.

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Vengeance wrote:Hehe - you had a molesting band teacher too?!
Yeah, he Nixon Resigned last year.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Before getting caught? lol. Ours got busted!