To paddle or not to paddle

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Fish #641
Fecund

Re: To paddle or not to paddle

Post by Fish #641 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Actually, he first got reported, and the person who reported him got fired for "insubordination." (Nice one, administration.)
But I don't know if he was approached and asked to resign or if he just did it to get out of there. He claims he left because of his father's health, although he moved to Austin, when his father is in Houston. He didn't get much closer, if at all, to his dad. GG.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Fish #641 wrote:Actually, he first got reported, and the person who reported him got fired for "insubordination." (Nice one, administration.)
But I don't know if he was approached and asked to resign or if he just did it to get out of there. He claims he left because of his father's health, although he moved to Austin, when his father is in Houston. He didn't get much closer, if at all, to his dad. GG.
well technically austin is like < 1.5 hours away from houston and is probably much closer than michigan, but gg on getting rid of a molestor-teacher

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:27 am

Sorry I had that wrong. His father's in Dallas, and he's either moving to Austin or Houston (not sure of which). Plus I'm near Kansas City, so he's moving like, 2 hours closer? But yeah, sorry about getting off-topic

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 am

Fish #641 wrote:Sorry I had that wrong. His father's in Dallas, and he's either moving to Austin or Houston (not sure of which). Plus I'm near Kansas City, so he's moving like, 2 hours closer? But yeah, sorry about getting off-topic
We're really getting off topic but your idea of Texas geography is really off-kilter X'D

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Yeah it's one of the few states I've never been in, so that probably has something to do with it. Oh, and that I don't really care all that much about Texas :P (Don't tell Hoggy ;) )

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Hoggy isn't from TX ;)

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 am

Pff yeah right. "Virginia" ohohokay

WolfPack
Exuberant

Post by WolfPack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:42 pm

Black Eye Would Fix most problems

An army of sheep led by a lion, can defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

How much we ought to dread the jaws of hell, if the jaws of so small an animal as a wolf can make a whole city tremble through fear

T_Patch36th
Elite

Post by T_Patch36th » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:15 am

I got smacked and dragged and rapped [yes, two Ps] in school -- all it taught me (seriously) was: "don't get caught".

You didn't get paddled hard enough then Dox! :) Let a couple of my old coaches unload on you and not only will you pause and think before misbehaving again, you would actually fold your arms and scratch your chin while you contemplated it.
I will say paddling worked wonders on this class clown, and 99.9% of the swats I got were well deserved. Today, I say yes sir, yes ma'am, please, and thank you to the myriad of people I encounter in daily life and can't help but think that a firm hand at school and at home had a lot to do with that. For that, I am grateful. I can't say that I felt that way at the time, but looking back, I am sure of it.

That said, I have administered corporal punishment in school, and it is no picnic. Stressful, depressing, and led to some sleepless nights. Texas allows CP in schools, but districts have the option to not allow it in their schools, and then, only school administrators can administer it with witnesses present and in most districts, parental permission.

I would say that CP is mostly a thing of the past except for smaller school districts here in the Lone Star State.
wwii-ww2-hitler-demotivational-post

DennisTheMenace
Has barely posted

Post by DennisTheMenace » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:06 am

I've never ever been grounded, but spanked once when I was like 5 or 6. Tried started a fire in the basement in an ashtray because it was cold as hell and I knew that the thermostat was too high on the wall for me to reach. Good thing my Dad came home literally 20 seconds later. I've never intentionally wanted trouble, or to ever have to be disciplined. It's just not worth getting a lecture about something that i've already thoroughly thought out before from spare time. That and I don't quite like people touching me in any way. I couldn't exactly tell anybody an exact reason why i've been laid back all my life, even my Mom and Dad say that I was never a hassle when I was an infant. I literally just smiled and never did once cry or whine.

I also find that laughter helps from being a total asshat; it just puts you in a good mood. I remember in middle school, always sitting next to my best friends and we'd just laugh the entire time we were there. Never got into trouble. Even now, playing games and having some fun with online buds, i'm pretty much laughing all day and never in a bad mood for the rest of the day.
(15 almost 16 year old speaking here.)

[ A pretty haphazar(ous?) wall of text here, but i'm talking with some friends as I write this. Also laughing. ]

But all in all, I think physical discipline such as paddling can be avoided (for the most part) if life lessons can be taught and linked to a teenager's everyday life activities. Although there are those teens that are just rambunctious and really can't be quite controlled enough to have them sit down and listen for a few minutes; to break the "I can do whatever I want" to "There are other people in this world too... maybe I should think about that."

Psunfragga
Prolific

Post by Psunfragga » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:24 pm

My parents slapped me as a kid when I was bad :P It made me resent my parents more and less likely to get caught the second time!

Yelling at me just made me think, well they can only yell once? After that I've already heard it before so it made no difference to me unless I clearly understood the reasoning why what I did was wrong. I need to understand justification for wrong, thats how I am.

In school I was a good kid pretty much because I was too shy to draw attention to myself. The kids who were difficult to control, I think that "paddling" is a solution that needs to be used. I'm talking proper wild childs who repeatedly did the same thing. The most annoying thing I felt growing up was having my class disrupted because of some asshat who couldn't keep his hands to himself and his mouth shut. Some kids don't take this form of punishment the right way, much like how yelling at me doesn't have an affect on my behaviour. I think teachers do not have enough time or proper standards to be able to judge whether physical punishment is an ideal solution for one of their students.

For that reason I don't think it should be implemented in schools. Sure it'd be nice to have these kids stfu and study, but not at the risk of it causing more ill behaviour. Removing a child from class is good enough.

LunaTiK

Post by LunaTiK » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:37 am

Paddling was normal where I went to school. I can see points from both sides of the argument but growing up I never seen a problem with it. As far as an hour of detention goes after school, just give me a lick or two and let me on my way. It wasn't normal for me to be receiving either but I had things to do after school and taking a paddling isn't that difficult for many boys.

Awesome castle sig lol.