Forum boast leads to conviction

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Forum boast leads to conviction

Post by dox » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Short version: A man boasts that he was speeding on a residential street in a forum discussion thread. Someone calls the authorities in his area and reports him. The braggart receives a hefty conviction.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/ ... on658.html

How is this possible? Does there not have to be a witness to the crime? What if there even is photo/video evidence: does its veracity not need to be confirmed by someone? Does this kind of thing worry you at all? I'll admit I'm a bit concerned since I just finished performing a bunch of doughnuts with my Bugatti Veyron in a school parking lot while blasting loud Opera music and downloading stolen ringtones on my phone at the same time: AND I posted about it on these forums -- what to do?!

Sure, an admission online is like an admission in hand-writing or in person, but what if someone admitted to murder but there was no body or motive - would they be arrested?

(PS: I'm not saying that speeding isn't stupid or that bragging about crimes isn't stupid)

Vengeance
Prolific

Re: Forum boast leads to conviction

Post by Vengeance » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Wow - he entered a plea for it? Seriously now. I'd say that's his fault for admitting it in court! Surely he could've lawyered up and they would've seen how stupid they really are!

Also, I just called the authorities on you dox. I didn't care about anything except the ringtones! Not cool! :)

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Doesn't seem like you'd even need to lawyer up... should have just taken a gamble on the judge he was going to get, because odds are the judge would have let him off.

Atomic
Opulent

Post by Atomic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Anyone with half a clue would have played the "I didn't post that, someone hacked my account" defence - at this point the prosecutor then has to prove it was you that did post the article, and if you have any kind of wifi setup at home (or posted from a public network) it's essentially impossible to prove.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 pm

I killed two homeless women in 1997.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Sorry about the account hack ent.

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:50 pm

doesnt seem to be enough info if it was a plea deal or he might have had other issues and it was pled to a lesser charge?

WolfPack
Exuberant

Post by WolfPack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:39 pm

ent wrote:I killed two homeless women in 1997.

Epic Lawl.

An army of sheep led by a lion, can defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

How much we ought to dread the jaws of hell, if the jaws of so small an animal as a wolf can make a whole city tremble through fear

Alien24
Exuberant

Post by Alien24 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:11 am

Looks like this post is at most dead. Conclusion so his little BMW gets parked for 6 mounts and he's on probation for 12. I give it a year or less and he will be running top speed down the streets again. Sounds to me like Vladimir Rigenco has more money and time then brains. One of those points as to why kids need there ass heated up when they get out of line.