F*CK THE CUTS, YOU TORY SL*TS!!

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Fish #641
Fecund

Re: F*CK THE CUTS, YOU TORY SL*TS!!

Post by Fish #641 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm trying to think of a single civil reform movement in the US that didn't happen because of students.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:00 am

Fish #641 wrote:I'm trying to think of a single civil reform movement in the US that didn't happen because of students.
The climate was different fifty years ago. Try within the last three decades. We're too complacent these days.

Also, the movements were typically by the affected groups rather than by sudents. Vietnam protests were by students because they were seeing their friends get drafted into an unjust war, Civil Rights were mainly by minorities and then a smaller group of non-minority supporters, suffragist movement was mostly by women... so the only real movement that US has had that was spearheaded by students was the Vietnam movement. I really don't think there's *anything* the US could do at this point to cause students to get up and start a movement about anything.

If you want to bring up the Rally to Restore Sanity (which I went to), do you really think anything would have happened if Viacom hadn't hoisted the whole thing?

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:06 pm

It's really kicked up over there 'round Westminster eh? With the way those coppers are swinging batons I'm surprised we're not seeing more shots of bleeding protesters on TV..

Good luck and be careful if you're one of the ones out there - be mindful that a trampling by a panicked crowd is often worse than just a smacked head, be safe!!!!

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:37 pm

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:11 pm

dox wrote:It's really kicked up over there 'round Westminster eh? With the way those coppers are swinging batons I'm surprised we're not seeing more shots of bleeding protesters on TV..
Boston Big Picture Article, plenty of shots of bleeding protesters :S

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:32 am

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm

ent wrote:
kid with a bias'd students did no wrong attitude reading a speech wrote by someone from the organisation he's representing, so awe-inspiring :roll: