Second chances?

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Second chances?

Post by dox » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 pm

So there's this homeless fellow who's panhandling with a sign that says he's got a god given gift of voice..

..a fellow pulls up, takes a video, posts it (anyone got a link to the original?) and it goes mental -- the homeless fellow does indeed have a great radio voice..

..this homeless guy, Ted Williams, begins to get job offers (including someone that offered to pay a mortgage on a new home), TV spots and more and more pieces about him -- life totally turned around in 48 hours..

--or is it?

The Smoking Gun reveals he's a felon, even his ma ain't thrilled while he's up on NBC's Today Show which steers well clear from mentioning his shady past..

What's the deal? Is this guy just getting his 15 minutes in spite of being a trouble-making, career-destroying fellow? Or does he really deserve a second chance? ..or is this a second chance at all -- looking at TSG it seems like it could be his 4th or 5th "chance"..

Are we like horses with blinders going down the path that the channel we're watching guides us on? Or do people really deserve second, third and more chances?

ent
Prolific

Re: Second chances?

Post by ent » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 pm

It's hard to say, a lot of those crimes could just be a function of him being a drug addict / homeless. So for me it really comes down to if he's really actually kicked the drugs or not, and if he's going to get back into them when he starts making money.

Adam
Prolific

Post by Adam » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Ranger
Intermediate poster

Post by Ranger » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 am

If you saw his interview with NBC, the guy is just overwhelmed with gratitude and humility. I seriously think he will not screw his life up again if given the chance, since he's seen what it's like to have nothing

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:42 pm

yeah people fall on hard times.. hopefully he can see that this is his second chance and makes the best of it... i sure hope he does!

Evil Ed
Prolific

Post by Evil Ed » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:56 am

I got only one thing to say to this.

"When you're listening to nothing but the best of oldies, you're listening to Magic 98.9!"

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm waiting for someone to make a mashup video which I will use as a "told ya so" -- it needs to flip between this guy saying "clean for two years" (or whatever the sound bite was) followed by his admission that that was untrue to Doctor Phil (he's checked himself in to rehab).

Change anyone's mind yet? The guy's a lousy bum who gets yet another chance at cleaning up his act and blows it AGAIN..