Appeal denied for cheerleader who rfused to cheer for rapist

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

ent
Prolific

Appeal denied for cheerleader who rfused to cheer for rapist

Post by ent » Mon May 09, 2011 5:56 am

At a party, jocks Rakheem Bolton and Christian Roundtree forced a cheerleader into a room and assaulted her. Others at the party heard her yelling and forced their way into the room and the two jumped out the window without their clothes. The cheerleader says they raped her. Bolton copped a plea to misdemeanor assault (2 years probation and a $2500 fine). He continued playing basketball and the cheerleader refused to cheer for him specifically and was booted from the squad. She sued the school district and lost, and was ordered to pay $45,000 to them in legal fees. The Supreme Court turned down her appeal, so her family will now have to pay that.

The cheer she refused to perform was: "2, 4, 6, 8, 10! Go Rakheem! Put it in!"
(05-02) 17:12 PDT WASHINGTON -- A Texas high school cheerleader who was kicked off the squad for refusing to chant the name of a basketball player - the same athlete she said had raped her four months earlier - lost a U.S. Supreme Court appeal Monday.

A federal appeals court ruled in September that the cheerleader was speaking for the school, not herself, and had no right to remain silent when called on to cheer the athlete by name.

The Supreme Court denied review of the case Monday without comment.

The girl, identified by her initials H.S., was 16 when she said she was raped at a party in her southeast Texas hometown of Silsbee in October 2008. She identified the assailant as Rakheem Bolton, a star on the Silsbee High School football team.

Bolton ultimately pleaded guilty in September 2010 to a misdemeanor assault charge and received a suspended sentence.

At a February 2009 basketball game in Huntsville, Texas, H.S. joined in leading cheers for the Silsbee team, which included Bolton. But when Bolton went to the foul line to shoot a free throw, H.S. folded her arms and was silent.

H.S. said the district superintendent, his assistant and the school principal told her she had to cheer for Bolton or go home. She refused and was dismissed from the squad.

H.S., joined by her parents, sued school officials and the district. They claimed the school had punished her for exercising her right of free expression.

An appeals court in New Orleans ruled against her, saying a cheerleader acts as a "mouthpiece" for the school.

Federal courts have also ordered H.S. and her parents to reimburse the district more than $45,000 for the costs of defending against a frivolous suit.

The family's lawyer, Laurence Watts, said the ruling means students who try to exercise their right of free speech can be punished for refusing to follow "insensitive and unreasonable directions."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...L#ixzz1Ln2ZlLVg

The cheerleader was getting harassed in school, so school administrators told her to avoid the cafeteria and not to go to her homecoming dance. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for that and for letting him return to the team. Anyone who looks at this and doesn't think "Holy shit, this is a complete failure of our Justice System and an indictment of our culture" needs to do some heavy thinking.

This is appalling.

dox
Prolific

Re: Appeal denied for cheerleader who rfused to cheer for rapist

Post by dox » Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 am

Dear USA: Please continue to travel around the world forcing countries with your great strength to undertake your systems of government and justice, you are clearly experts and the rest of the world can only benefit by being your carbon copy. Thank you!

Seriously though: it's hard to imagine how this happened but there's many examples of similar things happening all around the world - some end up with people innocently incarcerated for years.. I don't know how this story above was even possible, if it was written the way you put it down I'm fairly certain the vast majority of people would agree that it's an outrage -- but does that mean the story is missing something or presenting something in a skewed light? It seems so unfair that it's got to be far-fetched in some way?

GD_Fritz

Post by GD_Fritz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:08 am

dox wrote:Dear USA: Please continue to travel around the world forcing countries with your great strength to undertake your systems of government and justice, you are clearly experts and the rest of the world can only benefit by being your carbon copy. Thank you!
Dear Canada

We the United States of America appreciate your wise and pertinant imput. However, due to the size and as you said "strength" of our military it turns out we do not actually need your permission to go and rape the shit out of terrorist douchebags in foreign countries that support terrorism and are responsible for it's funding and personnel. I'm sure taking the "high moral ground" and stating that our system is flawed and thus we have no rights to invade our enemies seems a valid argument to you. If on the other hand terrorists crashed 2 planes into highly populated buildings in the one of the biggest cities in your country killing roughly 4,000 people in one day, maybe you would feel differently. So to finalize my statement, and in response to yours. We will, we here in America feel our most successful decades our those in which we absolutely crush and demolish an entire civilization into the dust.

P.S. - Pray we do not get bored overseas and come knocking on your door because if we did, and I stress IF as it seems an unlikely scenario, NOT one single country would try to, or could stop us from taking it to that fine Canadian ass.

P.S.S - The reason I said "unlikely" up there .... it seems like a failure to invade a country that already does everything you ask it to. :finga:
[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/2vwtk05.png[/img]

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:35 pm

GD_Fritz wrote:If on the other hand terrorists crashed 2 planes into highly populated buildings in the one of the biggest cities in your country killing roughly 4,000 people in one day

your own government did that, blatant inside job you would be stupid not to think that.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:37 pm

GD_Fritz wrote:
dox wrote:Dear USA: Please continue to travel around the world forcing countries with your great strength to undertake your systems of government and justice, you are clearly experts and the rest of the world can only benefit by being your carbon copy. Thank you!
Dear Canada

We the United States of America appreciate your wise and pertinant imput. However, due to the size and as you said "strength" of our military it turns out we do not actually need your permission to go and rape the shit out of terrorist douchebags in foreign countries that support terrorism and are responsible for it's funding and personnel. I'm sure taking the "high moral ground" and stating that our system is flawed and thus we have no rights to invade our enemies seems a valid argument to you. If on the other hand terrorists crashed 2 planes into highly populated buildings in the one of the biggest cities in your country killing roughly 4,000 people in one day, maybe you would feel differently. So to finalize my statement, and in response to yours. We will, we here in America feel our most successful decades our those in which we absolutely crush and demolish an entire civilization into the dust.

P.S. - Pray we do not get bored overseas and come knocking on your door because if we did, and I stress IF as it seems an unlikely scenario, NOT one single country would try to, or could stop us from taking it to that fine Canadian ass.

P.S.S - The reason I said "unlikely" up there .... it seems like a failure to invade a country that already does everything you ask it to. :finga:
:lol: =D>

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 pm

And the Holocaust never happened either...

The check is in the mail...

I won't cum in your mouth...

She's just a friend...

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:05 pm

ooh, I'll jump the wagon on this :D

I sense an insinuation that the states haven't been acting world-police earlier than 9/11 and that they never stooped to terrorism in the name of their own sense of justice, so here goes two rows, two words each:

Vietnam War
Agent Orange

I could also go on about how CIA trained and armed the very Afghani terrorists that the states have been chasing for years, with the initial intention that "they will attack soviet, not us, 's all cool", but that would just be a low-blow

Trolling aside;

I agree that the story that Ent posted (which is what this thread is actually about) seems too unfair to be true, but frankly, sometimes things are. Even in our "just", "developed" and "modern" societies. I also think that there are all kinds of people in the world, both those that would rape and try to get away with it no matter what, those that would let it happen and those that would accuse someone of rape given a chance (out of something as petty as simple spite) and go very far to convinve people it's true.

I don't think I know enough to decide which is true in this case, but no matter the case, I doubt that girl feels very good right now, so I pity her none the less.

GD_Fritz

Post by GD_Fritz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Holyman wrote:
GD_Fritz wrote:If on the other hand terrorists crashed 2 planes into highly populated buildings in the one of the biggest cities in your country killing roughly 4,000 people in one day

your own government did that, blatant inside job you would be stupid not to think that.
If you really think that then there are some video's I would like to show you that prove the holocaust wasn't real .... in fact there were only about 200,000 people who died in the "holocaust". Those are Red Cross numbers by the way not the ones doctored by the US military. As a mater of fact the "concentration camps" in Germany were way better then the ones the US put their Japan interns into. Auschwitz actually had 2 olympic sized swimming pools and a game room. The reason some people died there is due to disease. Anyway I just thought if you believed all those retarded youtube videos about 9/11 being a government setup or some shit .... which by the way I worked for the government for 4 years and you are giving them way too much credit ..... then I thought you might be interested in some of this other shit, cause hey if it's on the internet it can't possibly be photoshopped or be in any way wong ...... RIGHT????? :finga:
[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/2vwtk05.png[/img]

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 pm

GD_Fritz wrote:
Holyman wrote:

If you really think that then there are some video's I would like to show you that prove the holocaust wasn't real
Please show me, although im not quite sure how that has anything to do with 9/11 :S

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:44 am

And I'm not sure 9/11 has anything to do with an upset cheerleader :)

Fish #641
Fecund

Post by Fish #641 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:51 am

Vengeance wrote:And I'm not sure 9/11 has anything to do with an upset cheerleader :)
Think harder.

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

oo ooo i'll play.

What do Cheerleaders have to do with 9/11? Probably nothing. THAT SAID.

Whether or not 9/11 was an inside job remains completely irrelevant to the fact that it has been used to remove civil liberties and invade multiple countries. It was the reasons stated by the United States and its allies to attack Afghanistan, Iraq and to install body scanners, increase mega-funding to the TSA and basically go all 1984 on American Citizens. So, even if 9/11 wasn't an inside job, it certainly has been used as if it was one.

It was terrible, sure.. 4,000+ people died (even some Canadians!), thing is... it was blown way, way out of proportion. Some guy in a cave in Afghanistan poses no real threat to the United States. The only threat he poses, is overreaction by the United States to put them into debt and make them spend all their money on endless wars trying to find the boogeyman.

They can't do anything to you, and if they did, launch an investigation, find out who did it.. and send a drone after him. Or, I suppose you could just invade another 10 countries and bankrupt yourself.

US Foreign policy is a freaking joke, at least it appears as such. I don't believe they have their own citizen's interest at heart when they call this an anti-terrorism campaign, I think they've got the banks and big-business in their coffers, along with the military industrial complex that wants nothing more than huge endless wars to keep profits high. If you consider how large the Military Industrial Complex is, in the United States and around the world... there's no stopping that huge money making man-slaying machine.

The United States will be remembered in history as a fascist capitalist pseduo democracy run by lobbyists and big business.

Now eat your cereal.
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 pm

4000 dead people is "can't do anything to you." OK dude, whatever.

What if they get hold of chemicals to attack water supply? How many dead from that? Is that nothing?

What if they spread a deadly chemical on hand rails at airport, mall etc? How many dead from that?

Dirty bomb?

Going through a body scanner isn't losing freedom. Unless your talking about the freedomn to bring weapons on board an airplane. Which I am fine with.

I guess we need to go back to appeasement to placate people like you. Just wait till even people like you can see the threat before we do anything. Remember WWII when the US waited till we were attacked to do much of anything to stop fascism/Nazism. Hitler had conquered basically all of Europe and we had done nothing!

Oh well arguing on the internet is like...

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:52 pm

On topic, holy crap that sucks for the Cheerleader. Probably not worth being on the cheerleading team, and not support what they do if they can't seem to allow people freedom of choice. This could have been easily avoided by allowing her to sit that one cheer out.

Hans wrote:4000 dead people is "can't do anything to you." OK dude, whatever.

What if they get hold of chemicals to attack water supply? How many dead from that? Is that nothing?

What if they spread a deadly chemical on hand rails at airport, mall etc? How many dead from that?

Dirty bomb?

Going through a body scanner isn't losing freedom. Unless your talking about the freedomn to bring weapons on board an airplane. Which I am fine with.

I guess we need to go back to appeasement to placate people like you. Just wait till even people like you can see the threat before we do anything. Remember WWII when the US waited till we were attacked to do much of anything to stop fascism/Nazism. Hitler had conquered basically all of Europe and we had done nothing!

Oh well arguing on the internet is like...
I love fear tactics. Including ones that can conjure up wild ideas of what "they" (and i finger quote "they") can do to a powerful first world nation, especially the United States. Yes, 4000 deaths is tragic, and it happened. I don't think for a second that it was the worst event in history, it just happened to be one of the most talked about and televised incidents ever. The United States, ever since then, has been absolutely obsessed with ensuring it doesn't happen again, and if we were to compare the number of lives lost in Afghanistan, Iraq and other nations while carrying the war on terror flag, 4000 is a very, very small number compared to the completely untelevised atrocities committed by the western armed forces.

I wasn't actually going to respond to your comment because you started into personal attacks based on my opinion alone. I won't mention anything further in THAT regard.

Comparing a CIA-created headless organization (al-qaeda) to the Nazi's is sort of ridiculous. We're talking about a total autocracy vs an extremest terrorist organization. They are not the same thing, I don't see al-qaeda taking over Europe and launching bombing campaigns against London any time soon. I'm sure they'd like to kill 6 million Jews, but that ain't happening either.

I maintain that Al Qaeda (while they ARE an actual threat), are no real threat in comparison to bigger players like China and Russia. The real threat to the United States is their own government, their own people and their own misguided foreign policy. Until the people of the United States have a say in their foreign policy, the Military Industral Complex will continue to find ways to create war, create new weapons and find new enemies. Humans are not always Lawful Good.

Hey lets start endless wars instead of actually addressing the issue, and catching those involved. Lets make a boogeyman out of Osama Bin Laden (dead now), and use it as an excuse to get public buy-in on eroding civil rights. I also believe the world economy would be in much better shape, if the United States had handled the wars differently, and handled its bailouts and stopping the corruption in Washington... but hey, there are hundreds of books written on that subject alone, don't take my word for it. This is all in hindsight of course, but remember Canada did not join the United States in Iraq for the aforementioned reasons.

Wise words from a very wise Jean Chretien, who was Prime Minister of Canada at the time.
http://canadaonline.about.com/od/terror ... dairaq.htm
Prime Minister Chretien has also said that he is very uncomfortable with forcing a regime change from outside a country. He argues that only the country's people have the right to change a government, and imposing a regime from outside could set a dangerous precedent. "If we change every government we don't like in the world where do we start? Who is next?"

and that's just like, my opinion man.
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]

Rhiraden
Has barely posted

Post by Rhiraden » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 pm

Championships > Women's Feelings
[url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/76dba0b5938e1ef5.png[/img][/url]
www.youtube.com/chappyman524
www.youtube.com/rhiraden