Vancouver on Fire.

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Power$hot
Prolific

Vancouver on Fire.

Post by Power$hot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 pm

imo, looks like anarchist taking advantage of the situation. :x

Holyman
Prolific

Re: Vancouver on Fire.

Post by Holyman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:37 pm

I'd be mad if the only sport my city were good at was hockey and then they still sucked and lost, an understandable reaction.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 pm

It's an embarrassment. I thought only Toronto was full of morons but it appears that proximity to the southern border is enough to bring the drooling idiot out of any of my fellow countrymen. All I can be thankful for is that the UK is some islands far, far away from here, else who knows what we'd be capable of?! :)

Of course, all joking aside, here's a bit of a difference: There's plenty of residents who stood up to this behaviour (lots of their beatdowns documented on video) to protect people and property as well as the subsequent efforts by caring residents to identify and bring to justice the brazen criminals. This, followed by a community clean up effort the next day. This happens where else?

Standing up to the mob (throughout, but 3rd minute especially crazy)

Pushing against dozens of car flippers

Knocking out an arsonist

Lone woman stands up to rioters

..did you see anyone standing up against the hooligans in the London riots? ..or any riot of recent memory?

PS: nutshot w/fun piano music FTW

mini
Prolific

Post by mini » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:06 pm

1/2 people are rioting the other half are on phones taking pictures
small and fierce.........
Alienware 15 R3
6700HQ, 16 gig DDR4 @2667, 1060 GTX 6 gig, 128 SSD boot, 1000 gig Storage.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:47 pm

dox wrote:it appears that proximity to the southern border is enough to bring the drooling idiot out of any of my fellow countrymen.
We almost never have riots like this O_o

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:53 pm

ent wrote:
dox wrote:it appears that proximity to the southern border is enough to bring the drooling idiot out of any of my fellow countrymen.
We almost never have riots like this O_o
I can count only 3 or 4 such events in Canada in the past 30 years whereas I lose count of the American equivalents.. When you say "like this", what do you mean? We can start looking in to numbers but a quick Google finds an estimated 10-15 such events in America per year. As for Canada I can only find reference to a few, key/memorable ones (Vancouver 2x, Montreal, etc). Perhaps it scales in a balanced fashion when you take population in to account? I don't know, I'm only gauging based on my memory which isn't exactly scientifically accurate but I am curious as to how you feel that you can say you "almost never have riots like this", from Superbowl to World Series through to NBA and just general College events there's so many I don't know where to start..

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Vancouver not typical sports riot, sociologist says

And when I say "we don't have riots like this" I mean that the sports riots we do have very rarely have this level of intensity in terms of duration, violence, and destruction.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Oh I see, well ent: just because we do it BETTER doesn't mean you don't try once a month \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:15 pm

did they stop yet?

Rage
Prolific

Post by Rage » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 pm

"I would change the world, but God won't give me the source code"

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 pm

it's pretty funny how people change when in a crowd mentality most of them kids wouldn't even look them girls in the eyes for fear of blushing and getting a boner

skullhead
Prolific

Post by skullhead » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:03 am

As I understand it, Vancouver is a pretty rowdy town. Lots of drugs and crime. I haven't been there myself, only what I've heard from others. During the Olympics it looked nice enough. I believe that it is a very expensive place to live too.

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:49 am

This video, and others, remind me of the plains of Africa and the life and death struggles that occur there. Individuals chasing off hyenas on one side of a stricken calf, while the other hyenas sneak in from the other side.

Scumbag criminals just waiting for a chance to steal, destroy or kill. It is everywhere, even in placid Canada where much is provided to all by the government.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 am

Now that you've put it that way I don't think I can see it any other!

Power$hot
Prolific

Post by Power$hot » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I wonder what would have happened if the USA won the gold medal game in ice hockey. I think all of Canada would've gone bat [email protected]#^. :D

I think this was anarchist groups causing trouble. In the videos I didn't see one middle aged guy with a beer gut breaking anything. The only old guy I saw got a beat down for trying to stop the punks.

Anyway the good people from Canada and even the USA are cleaning up Vancouver over the weekend.

Wait, that chick at the end is hot. You tell'em honey.