Tottenham on Fire.

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

Power$hot
Prolific

Tottenham on Fire.

Post by Power$hot » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Holyman
Prolific

Re: Tottenham on Fire.

Post by Holyman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Greg
Elite

Post by Greg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:39 am

I apologize for earlier statements that bragged about Canadians being the hugest idiots and demonstrating to the rest of the world how to look like asshats while destroying their own community. We have been beaten fair'n'square.

Greg
Elite

Post by Greg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't these riots happening because some kid/man got shot and killed by armed police?

Enef
Fecund

Post by Enef » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:42 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/0 ... ers-police

Yep, its because some guy got shot by the police.

""It wasn't like this before," said one woman standing close to one of the two burned-out police cars. "It started out as a peaceful demonstration. The police shot a guy here last week and they lied about what happened. They said he pulled a gun but he wouldn't have done that with armed police. They shot him so badly that his mother could not recognise him.""

Quoted from the article.
 /l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

Sometimes Glass Shimmers More Than Diamonds Because It Has More To Prove.

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Why don't mobs burn their own house or store or car. Don't burn someone else's. Have some conviction, have some guts, have some courage. Break your own shit, then I'll believe you really care.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Hans wrote:Why don't mobs burn their own house or store or car. Don't burn someone else's. Have some conviction, have some guts, have some courage. Break your own shit, then I'll believe you really care.
Amen! ..but what are the chances of disillusioned youths dousing themselves in gasoline and touching a match these days? Almost none. Not even the emos. It's too bad because it'd clear the streets out AND make a statement -- sigh, no guts these days, just channel-flipping and store-smashing..

Power$hot
Prolific

Post by Power$hot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 am

Killing Floor?

Psunfragga
Prolific

Post by Psunfragga » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 pm

These riots are causing myself and my family to be anxious. Last night my young cousins couldn't sleep out of fear that their home would be petrol bombed. My grandparents weren't safe to go out for their morning walk because there were still thugs about. I fear more for tonight should these riots continue, especially in my grandparents town. This isn't the first experience the town has had of riots, therefore I'm pretty sure there will be a death due to the violence. I'm lucky that where I live now is managed by Thames Valley police, so theyre not stretched as thin as those are in London.

Its sad to see that as we're on the brink of change with the London Olympics, we're having hooligans ruin London's name in anger of their "bleakest future." London doesn't have the mental age of an 8 year old. I'd like to see this stop tonight. Our politicians can urge parents to control their kids all they want, however you cannot stop a near grown adult from leaving the house without physical restraint. I'd like to see our emergency services get the support they need (e.g. water cannons etc) to control a situation. At the moment, fire services cannot put out burning homes because theyre unable to be protected by police.

I'd also like to see these idiots who stand there gawking and recording criminals actually put their phones down and stop what is going on. All it needs is one person to make a change in a crowd like this.

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Clearly worked for these three right?

Highlight at 1:22

As noble and brave as it may sound, about one person making a difference, it honestly really isn't likely unless they had the motivational speaking skills of Hitler.

Vancouver riots over a hockey game. These people started a peaceful protest which then escalated when reports of a police officer allegedly attacked a teenage girl during the protest. I think their fuel/rage + the idiotic hooligans are going to be much stronger than a hockey game.

I expect your guys' national guard to come in soon enough and have a armed solider on every corner just like the Detroit Riots.

Atomic
Opulent

Post by Atomic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:30 pm

keK wrote:I expect your guys' national guard to come in soon enough and have a armed solider on every corner just like the Detroit Riots.
That has been publically ruled out (for the time being) by the police.

It's all beginning to get a bit hairy though - the riots are meant to be heading south of croydon tonight and my parents/brother's town (redhill) is meant to be getting hit tonight. Thankfully my parents are away visiting family this week but I'm thinking I will probably go over after work & try to hold the fort (the house is a little way out from the town center but it's still conceivable it might get caught up in things).

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 pm

...as critical mass hits with Turkish shop owners and community clean up crews you'll [hopefully] find the hooligans slinking in to the shadows -- you'll still have them in your neighbourhood sharing your streets but the crime and violence will likely be on a much smaller scale and sporadic. Maybe then you'll be able to look at fixing whatever is broken..

Psunfragga
Prolific

Post by Psunfragga » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:02 pm

keK wrote:Clearly worked for these three right?

As noble and brave as it may sound, about one person making a difference, it honestly really isn't likely unless they had the motivational speaking skills of Hitler.
I dont think saving a truck is the same as saving a life, nor are these retards drunk as fuck! ^^

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Uh, whos life in particular is being threatened? If it was a race riot where particular people were targeted, then it'll be different. I mean, riots are unpredictable obviously. They're built off of rage, violence and anger + hoodlums just lookin' to have a good time. So far from what I know, only one person has been shot and killed due to these riots.

One is certainly one too many but considering what day and age we're in and how shitty people's ethic values are fucked up, wouldn't surprise me that they won't stop until they realize what they have done or until they par-take in taking someones life or witnessing it happen. Maybe that 'one person to stand up' would be the unnecessary sacrifice to show people who stupid they are-but then again, it'll probably only shock and eye-open those who like I said, witnessed it or were apart of it while the people blocks away or wherever continue on.

EDIT: I dunno, I'm intrigued about the psychology of people and criminals (forensics class ^^) as well as police tactics during riots / corrections facilities. After living in America and knowing about the past riots we've had and how natural disasters such as Katrina can stir up looting / rioting, etc. Something i'm sorta passionate about.