Tottenham on Fire.

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

keK
Prolific

Re: Tottenham on Fire.

Post by keK » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 am

BBC reporter at Highbury Magistrates Court John Brain tells BBC 5 live the first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon.
not just rowdy kids it seems!

Power$hot
Prolific

Post by Power$hot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:50 am

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Lack of respect for themselves and others, bloated sense of entitlement, laziness, self centered. Defiantely not the right stuff.

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:17 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14514429

"The police leadership has also stepped forward in support of their officers and the service and now to be given this slap in the face by the prime minister and told that he wants to bring in Bill Bratton to cure all policing ills."

xD

However, Metropolitan Police Federation chairman John Tully said he did not think American advice would help. "The Americans didn't cure the social problems in New York. What they did is they locked people up. That's how zero tolerance works. We haven't got the heart for that over here," he said.

skullhead
Prolific

Post by skullhead » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:11 pm

This is a somewhat related article, I thought was kind of crazy. It seems in San Francisco they shut down underground cell phone service to squash a demonstration over a transit cop who shot an unarmed man. True or not, they say that social media is playing a really big part in riots these days, critics claim that cutting service is a violation of free speech.

http://news.yahoo.com/sf-cell-shutdown- ... 21699.html

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Media has a big part in just about everything.

Anyone who can solve a jigsaw puzzle and is capable of thinking should be able to understand that the media is a corporation. Their priority isn't giving the news and being optimistic, but rather ratings, just like any other high classy business. They decide what we are to hear.

If you were to watch a news station and they made up some story, such as a bombing or a shooting at our nations capital or a school, (doesn't have to be that extraordinary, could be something simple). People are probably going to believe it. Why? Because you aren't there, you dunno about it, you're not the one investigating it so we just go by what someone else says ^^

Some people blame the media for the morale of the US forces / public opinion being gone to shit during the Vietnam Conflict. If the media said something out of context, "Police beat a female teenager at a protest", everyone is going to outrage, but if the female teenager was being rowdy, disorderly and causing trouble or attacking officers, what may seem like a beating was simply an action to restrain here. I mean, shit...look at Rodney King xD we all know (anyone in the US and isn't ignorant) what happened there xD

TL;DR, media can be quite shit sometimes.

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:21 pm

keK wrote:Media has a big part in just about everything.

Anyone who can solve a jigsaw puzzle and is capable of thinking should be able to understand that the media is a corporation. Their priority isn't giving the news and being optimistic, but rather ratings, just like any other high classy business. They decide what we are to hear.

If you were to watch a news station and they made up some story, such as a bombing or a shooting at our nations capital or a school, (doesn't have to be that extraordinary, could be something simple). People are probably going to believe it. Why? Because you aren't there, you dunno about it, you're not the one investigating it so we just go by what someone else says ^^

Some people blame the media for the morale of the US forces / public opinion being gone to shit during the Vietnam Conflict. If the media said something out of context, "Police beat a female teenager at a protest", everyone is going to outrage, but if the female teenager was being rowdy, disorderly and causing trouble or attacking officers, what may seem like a beating was simply an action to restrain here. I mean, shit...look at Rodney King xD we all know (anyone in the US and isn't ignorant) what happened there xD

TL;DR kek doesn't know what social media is

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Holyman wrote:

TL;UDR(unfortunately did read) garbage kid doesn't know what /he's/ talking about. Social Media is practically the same as the media that I said about above there but EVEN WORSE. It could be posted by some 12 year old shitty who exaggerates things.

EDIT: some people apparently didn't get the point I was making, gg. social media is like traditional media but without the marketing agenda. the 12 year old sitting with his twitter/facebook/blog still wants people to view his news, read it and believe it, if its exaggerated, people who don't know about the details or the facts might take it out of context and get outraged as my examples above. hf

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm

keK wrote: EDIT: some people apparently didn't get the point I was making, gg. social media is like traditional media but without the marketing agenda.

nope.

Psunfragga
Prolific

Post by Psunfragga » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:10 pm

keK wrote:
Holyman wrote:

TL;UDR(unfortunately did read) garbage kid doesn't know what /he's/ talking about. Social Media is practically the same as the media that I said about above there but EVEN WORSE. It could be posted by some 12 year old shitty who exaggerates things.

EDIT: some people apparently didn't get the point I was making, gg. social media is like traditional media but without the marketing agenda. the 12 year old sitting with his twitter/facebook/blog still wants people to view his news, read it and believe it, if its exaggerated, people who don't know about the details or the facts might take it out of context and get outraged as my examples above. hf

media is a form of:
me·di·a
noun /ˈmēdēə/ 
media, plural

The main means of mass communication (esp. television, radio, newspapers, and the Internet) regarded collectively
- the campaign won media attention

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ogle.co.uk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media_marketing

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ogle.co.uk

What someone may say on twitter can be considered as social media, it does not border onto the term of media itself as it is not a main means of mass communication. I've seen a lot of Americans swap "news" and "media" around loosely, in fact thats poor english.

Also - the point of history is to look in retrospect to not make repeated mistakes. What happened in America (which has a completely different history and social structure to any other country!) cannot be compared to what the UK just had. This is the first of its kind, if there are to be more of it. The measures cannot be laid upon exactly, nor can you compare the terror felt knowing that your area is going to be hit at 6pm through social networking. Over here our press network does not grossly inflate stories to show what they want us to show as much as American press networks have shown throughout history. This isn't a corporate scandal. This is a bunch of fucktards ruining a country and the coverage sticking to the more "affluent" areas as that is where the most damage was done. In fact, your own reasoning of "social media and media" being the same kinda proves you wrong; social media is showing the same as the press themselves. Oh snap.

gg? I think so.

White Knight
Prolific

Post by White Knight » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:49 pm

I live in hackney, got some pretty bad rioting... nothing on the scale of Croydon though. Had to stay at work overnight as I wasn't sure how bad the rioting still was.

Anyway.

My two pence on the whole matter : Uneducated, lazy, poor, unethical morons have realised if they ALL start smashing and stealing shit at the same time, a lot of them will get away with it.

They're not in anyway politically motivated, or even angry in most cases. Just out to cause trouble / get some free kicks.

There are social issues, but the people looting / "rioting" are not aware of them.

The social / political issue that needs to be addressed is how lax the government have been with dealing with joblessness, no respect for authority, petty crime and failing educational practices.

I would put a lot of the blame purely on job seekers allowance being paid out regardless of whether someone REALLY needs it, like I have in the past, or someone who is just too f-ing lazy to get a job.

In my mind that sets a precedent of very low social / moral standing.