18 weeks in jail for trolling

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

18 weeks in jail for trolling

Post by dox » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:05 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-14897948
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/1 ... -teenagers
The Guardian wrote: An internet troll who posted videos and messages mocking the deaths of teenagers, including a girl hit by a train, has been jailed.

Sean Duffy, 25, targeted Facebook tribute pages and posted videos on YouTube taunting the dead and their families.

Among his victims was Natasha MacBryde, 15, who died instantly when hit by a passenger train near her home in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.

The day after Natasha's death in February, Duffy posted comments including "I fell asleep on the track lolz" on the Facebook tribute page created by her brother James, 17.

Four days later he created a YouTube video called "Tasha the Tank Engine" featuring her face superimposed on to the front of the fictional engine.

Duffy, who is unemployed and did not know any of his victims, pleaded guilty to two counts of sending malicious communications relating to Natasha.
Also, it looks like he acted similarly on the reading festival forums (where the majority rejoices at this news) and here's the record.

Yep, online trolling with real-world consequences.

Has the UK finally turned in to an over-protective, incarcerating nanny state or should we be taking the vast amount of UK-based trolls to task and collecting forum posts to press charges?

Smithy
Prolific

Re: 18 weeks in jail for trolling

Post by Smithy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Holy better get in line or hes going to shop out

](*,)

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:14 pm

No need to jail them, just put the family members of the deceased on probation after they "make it right."

BarSteward
Prolific

Post by BarSteward » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56 am

trolling is a "trendy" way to say what he did, but in reality harassment is what he did. He just forgot that this world _is_ the real world and there is no difference between the two. Plus he a) clearly has too much time (he was unemployed) and b) is an idiot.

Luckily, I think Holy does not fit into those categories, but it is worth noting that what you say here is no different to what you say anywhere.

Leicesterirish
Exuberant

Post by Leicesterirish » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 am

BarSteward wrote:He just forgot that this world _is_ the real world and there is no difference between the two. Plus he a) clearly has too much time and b) is an idiot.

Luckily, I think Holy fits nicely into those categories, but it is worth noting that what you say here is no different to what you say anywhere.
Edited for correctness :loser:

....shit have I just trolled?

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 am

..and coincidentally, an even more chilling happenstance along the real-world-consequences-for-online-activity:
cnn wrote:A woman was hogtied and disemboweled, her intestines protruding from three deep cuts on her abdomen. Attackers left her topless, dangling by her feet and hands from a bridge in the border city of Nuevo Laredo. A bloodied man next to her was hanging by his hands, his right shoulder severed so deeply the bone was visible.

Signs left near the bodies declared the pair, both apparently in their early 20s, were killed for posting denouncements of drug cartel activities on a social network.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/ ... ?hpt=hp_c1

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:41 pm

I recall reading about this Dox, and I'm not entirely sure why anyone would consider the internet to be much different than real life. Anonymity on the internet isn't what it used to be, so best advice for anyone would be not to act differently than you would in public. Same goes for posting to Facebook, watch what you put on there because the world can see it, even if your privacy settings are configured, doesn't mean facebook won't change them on you (they have, several times).

People build real relationships, business partnerships and political movements online. I don't think most trolls understand that everything they do is recorded forever. Space is cheap.
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]