Favourite Games of all time?

Philosophy and Politics, from Aristotle to Trudeau, discussions that cover the gamut from civilizations, societies, how they're run and why we're here.

Moderator: Staff

justice7ca
Prolific

Favourite Games of all time?

Post by justice7ca » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Surprising to not see this kind of thread around here, considering we're kinda gaming enthusiasts. so i'll make one!

1. Grand Theft Auto IV

This has to be one of my favourite games ever. I've completed it 3 or 4 times now, and still want to go back for more. The trick with enjoying this game, is to play it as if you're Niko. Assume the role of a Russian dude fresh off the boat, you have a cell phone where people call you to do stuff, kinda like real life, and you have to manage your life / friends / girls all at once along with this crazy sim-style game in the background. When I play as Niko, I give him an honor code, he's moral, he's "trying" to do the right thing but he gets dragged into trouble by his cousin Roman. It's wonderfully acted, lifelike city and I often get the itch to play it some more. GTA is best played like an RPG than an action game, imo.

2. Mass Effect

The writing/acting/epicness of Mass Effect is completely unmatched. I have not played the third iteration of this yet, but I did complete the first and second games and am eagerly awaiting finding the time to get through the third game. I enjoyed the hell out of this story, and that's paramount to my personal connection with the characters involved and my own avatar in Mass Effect. This felt like I was experiencing a movie that I was a part of, and got right involved in it.

3. Skyrim

It's difficult to go through a list of games that I've played the shit out of without mentioning Skyrim. Bethesda did a fanstastic job with this game, so much so that I lost countless hours to it and barely scratched the surface of its contents. I plan to go back, eventually.

Honorable Mentions:

Battlefield 1942
Counter-Strike
Battlefield 3
Warcraft 2
Starcraft
Myth: The Fallen Lords
DOOM
Duke Nukem 3D

.. probably a bunch more.

what games are important to you guys, which did you enjoy most?
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]

Hans
Prolific

Re: Favourite Games of all time?

Post by Hans » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:47 am

Red Orchestra
Panzer General
Clash of Steel
Stronghold Kingdoms

Mojo
Intermediate poster

Post by Mojo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Good idea for a thread Justice! :) Nice choices too, all great games!

Im going to expose my age with a few of my choices so im going to restrict it to games that had a serious WOW! factor at the time or games that shall make my fingers arthritic through excessive hours of playing!

My mate down the road in primary school had an Atari with bat & ball etc. and i was super jealous but i never owned one. My first games playing machine was a BBC Microcomputer as my parents heard it was educational! :( I really wanted a Commodore 64 or an Amstrad but ah well. I think probably the best game was Chuckie Egg where u jumped around playforms avoiding chickens! Woohoo!

I got Legend of Zelda with my Nintendo 8 bit and i thought it was the best game in the world ever! Mario was good as well but i think Zelda felt like more of an achievement to complete the second quest.

I also had a Megadrive (Genesis to our American friends) and then a Super Nintendo and i think the game i got the most competitive fun out of was Street Fighter 2 which has incredibly stood the test of time in terms of game design! Blanka wins! :D

My first PC was a 386 and i have to thank cc//Irish for getting me a dodgy copy of Civilization which showed me how much more in depth and involved pc games could be over console and Civ2 was probably one of the best games of all time!

Im going to speed this up as there have been lots of great games but i have to mention Half-Life as probably the 1 player game i have completed the most number of times and then of course the incredible Counter-Strike which was my first taste of proper competitive online gaming and i put serious hours into it! Probably more than any othr game i have played!

Honourable mentions: X-Com: Enemy Unknown (I think UFO in USA), Q2/Q3A, BF2, Baldurs Gate 2, TF2 and Fallout 3/Skyrim are both incredible! I could easily name plenty more but these are the games that stand out first! :)

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Okie ill bite..

1. Ultima Online 1997: This has to be my #1 all time favorite game ever.. For one it was pretty much the first "graphical" mmo world that had very very dangerous persistent world! Not to mention I had SOOOO much fun with my friends growing up on this that once i played this game i was addicted to multi-player games and pretty much since then i have an incredibly hard time playing single player games.

2. Half Life 1998 + Mods (TFC, CS, DOD, NS): Seriously this was my "first" online fps shooter and it was fucking amazing.. I stumbled across Team Fortress which in turn lead me to Counter Strike in the late 90's.. and ALL i can SAY IS FUCK ME!!! i got hooked in this competitive online world were it was balls out or nothing at all! Not to mention when Day of Defeat was released being the 13 year old i was WW2 games were not played out them and its was FUCKING AMAZING!! lots and lots of good times here..

3. Dark Age of Camelot 2001: Well what can i say.. This game was also fucking AMAZING.. it was release after a pretty big hitter (EverQuest) it had amazing graphics for its time and it was set in a medieval fantasy of King Arther! To me it was a game that took the graphical beauty of EverQuest and the cut throat PvP from Ultima Online and smashed them together to create what some people call the best PvP MMo ever!

4. Battlefield 1942 + Mods 2002: What can I say that has not already been mentioned? A WW2 game that lets you take to the Skies, Seas, and the GROUNDS! Not to mention full on 64 player DESTRUCTION! SIGN ME THE FUCK UP!!! this game had so many fucking amazing memories to the point they are coined "battlefield moments" now days. Hell i havent even mention the mods. Desert Combat dropped you into modern Combat!

5. Cant think of another game ATM that changed my life or was a huge impact to gaming in general that i played atm.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Peggle Deluxe
Farmville
Words with Friends

All life changing games.

Mojo
Intermediate poster

Post by Mojo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:58 am

How could i forget Elite on my BBC Microcomputer!!!

One of the greatest games of the 80s by far! Not sure if it became popular in America but it was a rock hard space trading game with "sort of" 3D graphics! It was incredible at the time! U started off with a crappy ship with a cargo hold and a bit of cash and u earned money by buying goods in one system then flying to another and selling at a profit. Then u could buy upgrades to ur ship or even buy a new one. My problem was that i couldnt resist the larger profits of dealing in narcotics which had me in bother with the law or forced me to more lawless systems with people who wanted to steal my stuff and also had lower narcotics profits. The most money was to be made by getting the narcotics to civilized systems.

Pretty incredible for a game that came out in 1984! :D

The more people u killed and rep u made for yourself the higher ur rating went up. I think i definitely got my rank as high as Deadly but i never reached the incredible status of being named "Elite" which was quite a gaming achievement in those days!

Check it out,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

Ive just seen that u can get it for free now on Abandonia but the screen shots show more colour than the original i played which was mostly all black and white. Perhaps there were different versions on different computers. Here is the version i played,

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BBC_Micro

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/113/Elite.html

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Deus Ex (2000)
Extremely well written cyberpunk dystopia fps/rpg game with engaging environments and scenery, memorable characters and soooooo much content you can replay it over and over and still find new things

Legend of Zelda: A link to the past (SNES)
Best Zelda game ever

Battelfield 1942 + DC mod
Well, got me into CC and lasted a couple of years. That's got to be a quality sign.

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Best game in the series (all of them are worthy pass-times though) with an in-depth writing and increadibly entertaining banter from NPCs

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Buggy and unfinished as it is, it's still got great setting and music, giving what most games fail at: Giving you a setting that you can feel.

Jagged Alliance 2
Turn based tactical RPG, difficult as fuck even on normal difficulty (at least towards the end).

Beneath a steel sky
Try it, it's freeware. Very good classical adventuring game

Mirror's edge
Short as it may be, it's fast and managed to get your pulse up like no other game I've played before. It's the first game since I've was a kid that's got me leaning in my chair with every move.

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 pm

BF:1942 DC
I can never forget DC since that was the game I started playing online.

Contra III
Always been a fav. always always always

I would have mentioned something from the NES days but god those and Atari games fucking games pissed me off.

Smooth

Post by Smooth » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:17 am

Socom2
GTA Series
BF3
Gears of War
SKYRIM

Merryem
Has barely posted

Post by Merryem » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:44 am

CAVE STORY
changed my life forever
[img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc420/Agualera/HungerGamessignature.gif[/img]

gravitytr1

Post by gravitytr1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm surprised no one has chosen Oblivion!

As sad as this is, Oblivion changed certainly my life, for the better I hope.

The HL series and mods would be my number 2, while Fable (only the first one) would be my number 3.