[FPS pad] Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

redfireant3
Prolific

[FPS pad] Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

Post by redfireant3 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:41 am

after 3 days im adapting to this thing and im not turning back (i used a gamepad for my w a s d keys). my pervious setup was a PS2 to usb adpater which i had the d-pad and the 2 trigger buttons, in order for me to use the other ones i had to let go of the pad and return. on the Saitek pad the thumbstick is a little different only cause i used a d-pad b4 but it is pretty sensitive. the plethora of keys accessible now is overwhelming but you can adjust by only assigning a line or 2 in game.
i found it for $25USD

only con is it does take a few days of a learning curve but the melee key is much closer now;)

billflu
Prolific

Re: [FPS pad] Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit

Post by billflu » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:07 am

Is it difficult to set this thing up? I'm guessing you don't need to unplug your keyboard every time you play a game.

On a side note, I didn't know Mad Catz bought Saitek last year. I always thought of Mad Catz as making inferior products, hopefully they won't kill Saitek branded products too fast.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Putting my left hand on the home keys on a qwerty keyboard I have 28 keys available, the typical wasd gaming setup has 24, this keypad at max has 21.... am I missing something, or are you?

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Looks like a horribly uncomfortable gimmick that would take far too long to get used to and wont reap anymore rewards than using a normal keyboard would, hell you'd have to move off that thing to even type, definatly not something i'd spend money on!

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:40 am

bill, on the saitek site there is a download for the manual, it has 3 prfiles (set on the fly with a switch) the first is joystick input and the other 2 assigns keyboard keys to each button.

blackhawk, im not knocking the keyboard users but for me i never used the keyboard. since bf1942 ive used a gamepad for the wasd and i wanted more keys available w/o giving up a d-pad

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Holyman wrote:Looks like a horribly uncomfortable gimmick that would take far too long to get used to and wont reap anymore rewards than using a normal keyboard would, hell you'd have to move off that thing to even type, definatly not something i'd spend money on!
harsh but true

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:13 pm

I would concider one, but not for FPS. Maybe for MMORPGs, where you want as many spells/abilities close to your hand as possible (I had the whole WASD-area bound in City of Heroes when I played, except for WASD :P).

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Sun May 11, 2008 11:29 pm

I've got one of these, can't say I'm getting on with it that well, but it will come in handy for somestuff no doubt in the future.