Spore

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Re: Spore

Post by dox » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:45 pm

ah, so some caution required after all! ok; sitting back and watching the reactions then, ty!

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:02 pm

if you like building things with a very basic builder with peices that dont actually fully fit together then you'll love it!

Crymson
Prolific

Post by Crymson » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Interesting way to voice displeasure with EA.

So this game is out, and reportedly has lackluster to mediocre gameplay, but perhaps most baffling is EA's new, and freakinshly opressive DRM on a legit copy.

you get 3 installs. That's it. Hard drive's die, new version of windows, swapped pc's -- don't matter. Afther the third install your 60$ is gone. People are obviously furious, and as a result, in order to protest to ea (and i think this is a BEAUTIFUL grassroots way to do so) Amazon.com is being spammed with 1 star reviews of an otherwise decent game, until EA reverses the DRM policy.

http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Pc/dp/B000F ... 442&sr=8-1
See these older 5-star reviews from 2006 (two years before the game was released)? Well, they had a reason to be excited. Spore was supposed to be a revolutionary experience, combining multiple genres while concentrating on evolution and genetics.

Fast forward two years and here we have the finished product, ready to be installed on our hard drives.

First of all, the game incorporates a draconian DRM system that requires you to activate over the internet, and limits you to a grand total of 3 activations. If you reach that limit, then you'll have to call EA in order to add one extra activation. That's not as simple as it sounds, since when you reach that point EA will assume that you, the paying customer, are a filthy pirating thief. You will need to provide proof of purchase, reasons why the limit was reached, etc, etc (it has all happened before with another recent EA product, Mass Effect). EA, of course, is not obligated to grant you that extra activation or even provide that service. In a couple of years they might very well even shut down the general activation servers, because "it's not financially feasible" to keep them running. What you will be left with is a nice, colorful $50 coaster. And you will be required to pay for another copy/license if you want to continue playing.

This basically means that you are actually RENTING the game, instead of owning it. The game WILL stop to function in the future. That's inevitable, because even if EA keeps the activation servers going, there IS going to be a time when EA will simply cease to exist because of financial issues or federal laws (like most business eventually do).

Second, the game was dumbed down to oblivion. Evolution doesn't even matter anymore. You can add as many legs to a creature as you want, but it won't be any faster than a one legged creature with higher leg stats. "Creating" your creatures is pointless (cosmetic only, because everything is based on stats), and brings you about the same excitement as dressing up a plastic doll.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Crymson wrote: in order to protest to ea.... Amazon.com is being spammed with 1 star reviews of an otherwise decent game, until EA reverses the DRM policy.
Done.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Crymson wrote:
This basically means that you are actually RENTING the game, instead of owning it.
...and here I thought I could buy a game from the store, and being an 'owner' start making copies and selling them on eBay! OF COURSE YOU'RE RENTING A GAME. Beyond that, yea, ugly DRM FTL. Sounds like this will be a decent console release so long as the gameplay isn't horrible..

Crymson
Prolific

Post by Crymson » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:35 pm

Agreed, I'll wait for the console version.

Alien24
Exuberant

Post by Alien24 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:31 am

Here if you what to give it a try Dox.
http://v3.newzbin.com/browse/post/3190333/

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:44 am

Alien24 wrote:Here if you what to give it a try Dox.
http://v3.newzbin.com/browse/post/3190333/

I downloaded this one and it works flawlessly:

http://v3.newzbin.com/browse/post/3184160/

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 am

Is it bad if I don't even care enough about this game to spend 45 minutes downloading it off Usenet?

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:21 am

Well, I pirated it and I like it so far.. The creature creator part of it just eats up half of your game time, even on the early levels! I definately recommend downloading/buying this :)

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:57 pm

I toured EA in LA on Monday & they had a employee gift shop where I picked up Spore, Mercenaries 2, & Command & Conquer 3 for $32.10 (total). I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to buy it so cheap.... now I just need to get a working DVD drive :S.

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:05 pm

BlackHawk5 wrote:now I just need to get a working DVD drive :S.
So technically, your pc doens't have the required specs for either of the games? :lol:

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Black - lemme know how Mercs 2 is.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 pm

XtracerD wrote:
BlackHawk5 wrote:now I just need to get a working DVD drive :S.
So technically, your pc doens't have the required specs for either of the games? :lol:
Drive went bad a month ago & I haven't had the need to get a new one since I've only been playing steam based games.... just ordered it & should be here in 3 working days.

Veng, I'll let you know... I only picked it up because it was going to be so cheap, from what I've seen so far I'm not expecting much.

BlackHawk5
Prolific

Post by BlackHawk5 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:37 pm

It starts out extremely simple and each stage of evolution multiplies in complexity from the previous one. Each stage adds more structure to the game, which basically means your unlocking the features of the game as you play through the stages. But, once your in the civilization stage all the progress you've made up to that point become obsolete except for the appearance of your character (which has to be finalized before you enter the civ stage). Many of the stages are just as they have been described in reviews, rpg in one, rts in another, etc. Only the last third of a stage is really enjoyable..... once you understand what your supposed to do & have the necessary unlocks, abilities, & funds to do so can you really start to enjoy playing the game.

The space age takes a huge leap from the civ stage, I've spent as much time in space as I did in all the previous stages combined.... but once again it's only enjoyable in the last third of it's time line. I've used a money cheat to give me the funds to actually keep up with the space ages demands. Throughout the space age the interaction between your neighbors & the missions your given progress faster then your ability to handle them. Missions will require more tools then you've got unlocked or can afford to buy, & random civilizations (that you never saw or provoked, & randomly asked for mob like security payments that you didn't have the funds to pay) will declare war on you. This makes the game very reactionary, anytime you try & do a mission or colonize a planet you'll be interrupted by multiple communication messages (at the same time, which is very annoying!) from your colonies or allies, asking for assistance against attacks from enemies or pirates, or to prevent ecological collapses.... all of which have to be completed within a time frame. It's fun fighting in your custom space ship where you'll fly around a planet from a third person view & blast away at alien ships & colonies.... although it's annoying at times that the enemy can attack you while in space yet you can not attack back, battles have to be fought on a planet. If you have an ally you can get a ship from them to act as a wing man (up to 4 I've seen so far, but they each has to be from a different alliance) but their AI is incredibly annoying as they will lag behind your ship in battle & get chewed up very quickly (which also reduces loyalty from that alliance). One thing that I didn't expect is that I came across my own creations.... on my home planet I've got 4 versions of my non-sentient character that populates the planet & I was once at war with a computer controlled sentient version of myself. I rocked me.

Although I haven't yet finished the space age, I assume that's when you'll have all of the abilities unlocked so you can have some fun doing your own thing.

One of the games redeeming factors is it's ability to allow a user to be creative in building their character, buildings, cars, ships, or space craft. Up to the space age you'll spend a lot of time in the creator though, even if you don't want to. With your character you unlock new parts that add to it's stats, but you've got to determine what you can afford, if it looks good & where to place it. The graphics are sub par & the engines allow character parts (such as arms & wings) to travel through each other... and occasionally a string of skin will attach one appendage to another if placed too close. Each vehicle & building are made from scratch. In the scope of one's imagination the options available can be quite limiting.... although they do make it easy to retrieve your previous creations or sub in someone else's.

7/10
Worth the $10 I spent on it.