Chrome

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Chrome

Post by dox » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:52 pm

..I can't believe there hasn't yet been a post on the subject (unless I should be judging by how many of you still use IE, lol) -- Google's Chrome web browser has been out for a while (in beta, of course) -- thoughts?

XtracerD
Elite

Re: Chrome

Post by XtracerD » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:02 pm

I've read a few danish articles on it, it looks like a really nice browser, looks like it VERY simple to use and has some nice features, I might try it out. Although, I think I'll stick to Opera :)

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:35 pm

downloaded it half an hour ago, trying it now, there doesn't seem to be a massive reason for me to change to it so i think im going to stick with firefox, oh what the hell it has a spell checker built in?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03 ... ula_sucks/

lololololol uninstalling this trash now.

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Holyman wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03 ... ula_sucks/

Exactly. Releasing a browser that violates people's personal rights is NOT a good marketing move, imo. But what do I know?

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 pm

That article about the EULA is a bunch of hyperbole. Even if they were honestly collecting everything, it wouldn't matter if you used the browser or not, Google has more than enough information on you to suit their needs -- to profit by selling targeted advertising. Do you use Google to search? Do you have a gmail account? Have you ever visited a site that employs AdSense? Have you ever visited a site that uses Google Analytics? If you said no to all four of those, you're a goddamn liar. The application is open source, you can peek inside the app yourself to see if they're doing anything shady.

Chrome completely snuck up on me until I saw an accidentally released comic getting kicked around tumblr a few days prior to the beta release. I like how Google explained Chrome's architecture in a comic instead of some boring technical document -- it really got me excited for the beta release.

Chrome is fast, even in comparison to Firefox. Even if it only loads pages in their entirety a few tenths of a second faster than Firefox, because of the way it splits everything up into its own thread -- the javascript, any flash, other plugins, etc., the content is displayed almost immediately. You don't have to wait a second for the ads to load, and then let the server poll their hit tracking site, and then load some images before the meaty content of the site loads. If Chrome didn't honestly feel snappier than Firefox, I probably wouldn't be nearly as excited about it as I am.

Anything that uses AJAX or Javascript in some form or fashion performs much better than Firefox or Internet Explorer -- the Google apps, meebo, Facebook's new image gallery, in fact Microsoft's Live Maps actually run faster than Google Maps on Chrome. Chrome has half the memory footprint that Firefox has, and has almost no problems with memory leaks whatsoever -- you can use the browser day in and day out, and the process won't turn into some 500mb behemoth. Every tab has its own process in the Task Manager, and even if one seizes up, it won't kill the rest of your windows. Chrome, even in the infantile 0.2 beta that it is, is more stable than Firefox 3 Final.

Also, I like the way it's laid out, I'm a fan of minimalism. :) There's no compromise either, all of the features are still there. Chrome is taking off in a big way. Even in Beta 0.2, many people including myself have switched to Chrome as their primary browser, so much that after just a day of being released Chrome already occupies 3% of the browser market share, overshadowing Opera overnight.

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm

lack of having my RSS feeds on my tab bar is stopping me from changing over yet(i read a different article about the EULA and im fine with it now :P ) but so far it does seem to be slightly nicer just need to wait for a few addons to be made for chrome now!

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:47 am

I've tried Chrome and like it, but I'm not giving up firefox just yet. Like everyone else says, I can't lose my extensions.

Can't wait to see the new firefox engine in action.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/03/mo ... enchmarks/

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:08 am

Testing out the browser right now, it IS faster. I will still miss my magic wand for sure (no sex jokes please). Unless someone writes a magic wand for it :D

LittleMinister
Intermediate poster

Post by LittleMinister » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:39 am

hated it slow and heavy tbh,

firefox>chrome

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 pm

LittleMinister wrote:slow and heavy
How is it any slower or heavier than Firefox?

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:48 pm

XtracerD wrote:
LittleMinister wrote:slow and heavy
How is it any slower or heavier than Firefox?
exactly. half of the memory footprint, noticeably quicker? O_o

RingoCalamity
Prolific

Post by RingoCalamity » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Wow, I was going to give this a pass until I read Entropy's post, I was very happy with FF3 but I guess I'll give Chrome a whirl.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:14 pm

Firefox still has an edge with Greasemonkey.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:11 am

BarSteward
Prolific

Post by BarSteward » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Holyman wrote:downloaded it half an hour ago, trying it now, there doesn't seem to be a massive reason for me to change to it so i think im going to stick with firefox, oh what the hell it has a spell checker built in?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03 ... ula_sucks/

Well this is legal speak and you will find this in nearly everything from facebook to Flickr. Basically it means that you grant them a temporary license to show you what you create, look at or otherwise do anything with their browser...