[Film/Documentary] Frag

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

Humor
Prolific

[Film/Documentary] Frag

Post by Humor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Yo.

i just downloaded the documentary Frag made by Cohesion Productions.

Their info on this:
In the new age of technology, entertainment, and sports, a new breed of athlete is born. The Cyberathlete®.

Video Games, a real sport? Can video games be played professionally? The idea of professional video gaming to most people is unreal. In reality competitive gaming has been around since the early 80's. More than 20 years later, gamers still struggle to make the world understand what electronic sports are all about.

Every revolution has its leader. The Cyberathlete Professional League is that leader. Nine years ago their dream was to take competitive gaming to a professional level through the CPL. The league has battled through the years to raise the level of play and standards for the gaming community. Now, E-sports are on the verge of breaking into mainstream media. Will these leaders succeed? Is this idea a pipedream? Will the world accept this concept? This is the true story of professional gaming developing into the phenomenon it is today.

IMDB link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1266566/plotsummary

I found it sobering and really depressing at several points.
Deception, exploitation and late if ever prize money...
Truely shocking. Go see it.
cc// -------------> Never a dull moment!
My Cod_4 Videos
"The juice is worth the squeeze" =>Forrest Griffin, coach TUF07

dox
Prolific

Re: [Film/Documentary] Frag

Post by dox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Though pretty dated now (CPL folded, e-sports has definitely broken in to mainstream media, etc) it's quite a fascinating watch!

Humor
Prolific

Post by Humor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Dated?
I sure hope so and then surely some major changes....

Over the last years I think I've seen a lot of (c)lan footage, game clan movies and documentaries.
Maybe this one puts it on the "dark" side, dunno cause I am not in that scene fysically.
It sure raises a LOT of questions with me about "professional gaming" as a whole.

The lans here in Holland mostly give pc's vid cards etc for prize and yes you can take em home @ 1nce 8) .
Nothing "pro"wise though.

Even on our forums i've seen some small debates about lan prize money.
My Cod_4 Videos

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Oh wow, I didn't know you guys would get around to seeing this! I actually know a lot of people involved in this movie. I actually went tooling around Dallas with the guys that made the documentary and some of the more involved people at the AFI Film Festival. (Jarod Reisin and then Danny, the guitar hero player) I've probably seen this documentary about six times now, and frankly I'm sick of it -- but I thought it was great!

People I know that I can think of off of the top of my head:

* Jarod 'Streetrunner' Reisin - Has longer hair, baggy jeans, comments a lot in the documentary. He's Fatal1ty's roommate. I've been buddies with this guy for a few years now, he was the assistant editor for Pro Gam3r magazine, and has been involved in some other stuff. I gave him a call while I was in Kansas City for a funeral and he invited me out to his place, I got to see all of Fatal1ty's cool stuff. He's currently starting a new Quake-centric gaming tour, called the AGP Tour, of which I may become a community organizer or something.

* Tyler 'digismack' Morgan - Doesn't really have much of a part in the documentary, he's the kid with the goofy nose (broken in a golfing accident) flashing the horns at the camera, the clip was used like three times. He was involved with Pro Gam3r magazine as well, having a part in hiring Jarod into the parent company, MyGameRoom. Tyler had a part in creating FragArcade, GamingJunky, and other failed but still cool ventures.

* Rafik 'Lost Cause' Bryant - I met him at a local LAN. I went to Ghetto LAN Party, a local LAN that had a Quake tournament just to get myself a new Razer mouse. Things didn't go as planned when I found out Rafik was there. I called Jarod to tell him that I didn't think I was getting that mouse (and to prod him for tips against Rafik) and Jarod said that he was an old friend of Rafik's and to say hi for him. I said hi for Jarod, and we hung out for the rest of the LAN. Real cool guy, and I found out the extent of Rafik / Jarod's friendship when I saw Frag.

* Livia 'liefje' Teernstra - she's the cute girl in the towel telling Jarod to get in the sauna. She was one of the writers at Pro Gam3r. I think she's married / engaged to PURRI, one of the best Quake players in the world. I'm going to go ahead and say Jarod has slept with half of the girls in this documentary. What a player. (hurr pun)

* Daniel 'Sephi' Serna - The guitar hero guy, I met him at the AFI Film Festival. They were having a small promotional Guitar Hero event at the nearby Americans Airline center. We talked him into entering, hilarity ensued. I'd like to note that the cute asian girl seen in some of the Guitar Hero spots is named Kelly, she lives in Dallas, and she has some risque pics that got leaked on the internet. (edit: turn safesearch off)

* Daniel 'carnage' Sturdivant - He's the guy that pissed on his laptop. He's from Dallas too. We end up hanging out at most of the big Dallas tournaments, pretty cool guy. His parents are rich, own Kawasaki dealerships.

I'll add more if I think of any more / wind up watching the damn thing again.

Humor
Prolific

Post by Humor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:34 pm

As I posted I watch a lot LoL.
Surely anything more then the usual short stuff about lans.

I think the fnatic story about their origins is a good one as well.

Same goes for a videoblog I saw about the team that made the Hidden MOD as they went for a contest to the US.

Txs for the feedback 3ntropy. Is it really that dark in the industry?
My Cod_4 Videos

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:59 pm

How do I obtain this? Is it hard to get? I'd like to watch it and share my opinion.

Humor and 3nt, you should really check out King of Kong. Now there's some real competitive gaming! :lol:
8.4/10 on IMDB and 97% on Rotten Tomatoes

Humor
Prolific

Post by Humor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:32 pm

billflu wrote:How do I obtain this? Is it hard to get? I'd like to watch it and share my opinion.

Humor and 3nt, you should really check out King of Kong. Now there's some real competitive gaming! :lol:
8.4/10 on IMDB and 97% on Rotten Tomatoes
Frag is on usenet in several newsgroups.

I saw documentaries on Billy Mitchell and others. Nice to see they had old scholl mechanics to keep the old game machines running. :)
My Cod_4 Videos

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Humor wrote:Is it really that dark in the industry?
As far as CPL and other organizations not paying cash prizes, and large gaming organizations screwing players out of money, yes. The whole documentary is pretty much spot on.

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:27 pm

I watched the first half of this last night - and it was a bit depressing I have to admit.

Not quite as 'glam' as I would have liked to think it all was...

Adam
Prolific

Post by Adam » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:03 pm

very interesting documentry - throughly enjoyed it