[PC Game] Fallout 3

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

[PC Game] Fallout 3

Post by Shaddowmaster » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Ok, I wrote a long review that disappeared due to system crash (grrr)

we'll, here goes round 2:

Before trying this game I had some initial fears about how it might turn out to be:
  • Game's either too linear, or too repetitive (like say, Oblivion)
  • Character and/or monster design is lame
  • Story and environment is bad
  • V.A.T.S. suck and is naught but a poor excuse for replacing turn based combat
yes, I was sceptical, as I always am to sequels, especially when it's a sequel to a game I used to like and especially if there's been a long time since the previous game, say 10 years, and a different company developed the sequel. Not to mention that I was unimpressed with Oblivion :P

Ok, so then I tried the game

It starts with you being born and you get to pick gender and name, cleverly woven into an RP experience by your father saying something like "look, it's a..." <pick a gender> "... boy, a baby boy, we've got a son". "Your mother and I thought of a name for you, what do you think of..." <type a name>
Unlike previous games, you get to experience some of your childhood (You play snippets of it in a form of short tutorial). So you get to know some characters and learn a bit of your own backstory, after which you're not told by someone something along the lines "We love you, now go out and save our ungrateful asses", instead you escape the vault to search for your missing father. Personal, new and we can relate to the motivations of our protagonist, be they good or bad. Kudus for that, Bethaseda :)
Story is wellwritten and easy to follow, the capital wasteland is vast and sidequests are not at all repetitive like they were in Oblivion. Character-, monster- and leveldesign is good, allthough it took me a while to get over the lack of limping with the ghouls :P
The feeling of the game is great! Lots of elements contribute to the game getting that good (fictional) post nuklear war apocalypse feeling. The wastes are dead and full of ruins, dust and irradiated water. There are all kinds of colourful characters, both major and minor. We've got the good ol' raiders, slavers, muties, loonies, survivalists, scavangers, traders, cults and people scraping together whatever they can find to survive, not to mention some old-time favorites like the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave.

You also have to scavange for supplies quite a bit. You often run low on ammunition in the beginning and it's really hard to become rich in this game, bottlecaps disappear as fast as they come in on buying supplies, ammo, etc.

There's also lots of things you can find by just stumbling upon them by chance while walking the wastes, for instance I found a radio-relay and when I activated it (just saw the lever by chance) I started picking up som scrambled signal, and it had a very short reach, so I actually decided to triangulate it (spelling?) and found a sewer grate leading to a little underground base with some supplies and a couple of baddies. Another time when I found one of those, the terrain was rockier but I found the base a lot easier by just looking around at logical locations (no triangulation this time) since I knew there would be one :P

There are also companions in this game, some demand bottlecaps, others just like your style. Oh, and Deadmeat's back, found him in a scrapyard... ofc, unless the irradiated dogs have a severely increased lifespan, this is a different Deadmeat :)

Companions, however, bring me to my first point of nit-picking on this game: They are strangely durable. They can probably take twise as much a beating as you, maybe more, and it seems once the enemy is defeated they instantly heal up. This feels a bit dull to me, however to some degree it seems necessary since they aren't very clever and you have no control whatsoever over them once battle begins. I think they could've made them a little less durable and a little more clever... like, say, they run away when they get too hurt (like in previous games), or maybe they could give you the possibility to give orders to them in realtime (you can still tell them to stay close or far away from you, or to use ranged or melee, like before). So I guess their durability is needed, I mean, they never felt like they made the game too easy, they did die sometimes, forcing you to reload, and if you were to feel they were too good, then you can allways turn up difficulty or simply leave them.
Another odd thing is that they seem to have some weird secret weapons / ammo system. You can't see their weapons, even when they are unequipped (or so it seems) nor can you see their ammo, all you know is sometimes they run out and run forward for melee, but then in the next battle they start shooting again

Which brings me to my next point: Ammo
Eventually you start packing a nifty ammount of ammunition, but when your inventory is full you notice that picking up a surgical tube overencumber you but you can still carry 20 extra missiles without breaking a sweat... so ammo is weightless... handy, perhaps, but a step back in reality-level. Don't get me wrong though, you need every bit of inventory you can get, strong back is still a useful perk, however I'd have liked to see them making the ammo weight stuff and instead promote the use of the flat you get, maybe adding some more features or focus on it, to me it didn't really feel necessary, just a place to sleep every once in a while, maybe store some stuff towards endgame. I mean, you could fit it with stuff, but bottlecaps were needed elsewhere and the stuff you could fit in could often be found elsewhere anyway :)

and speaking of sleep... you fully heal in one hour of sleep, no matter what. Only the radiationlevels are unaffacted.

Inventory is way improved, you now finally have a sorted tab-based inventoryscreen and it's even implemented to be a part of your pip-boy. Only flaw of the pipboy is that I'd have wanted a way to switch between the 3 major pipboy-categories (Status, Item, Data) with a hotkey in the PC version

To end I suppose I should go through my list in the beginning with the result:
  • Game's not at all linear or repetitive, I could run around exploring all I wanted
  • Character and monster design is good, in some cases even great
  • Story and environment is great, personal and it just sucks you in
  • V.A.T.S. can't completely replace turn-based combat, but I'd still say it's about as good as it gets, so I like it
The only really negative things I experienced with this game were things that, if altered, could make the game greater, but nothing that really made the game "bad" :)
Well, maybe one, I'd have wanted to see a wee bit more bossfights, you know like when taking down the king mole rat in fallout 1 (or was it 2?). There were some, but not enough imo :)

Overall score 8/10
(note: in my book, for a 10/10 it's got to be an epic game of legendary awesomeness (You know, like the first "Deus Ex") and for a 9/10 it would need to fix the few complaints I had)
still... 8 is a great score, I rarely give games 8-10, so suffice to say I recommend it, it sucked me in and seeing how I'm a fallout fan, that says a lot :)

Stardust
Prolific

Re: [PC Game] Fallout 3

Post by Stardust » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Nice review... keep up the good work ;)

Love the game

Pengu
Exuberant

Post by Pengu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:50 am

From what I have played of it so far it is a good game, but it is not fallout. Too different in too many ways to be called fallout 3. Honestly the only enemy so far that has given me any real trouble were deathclaws, and aside from that everything seems to die too easily, hell even the death claws die to easily. I could maybe understand my chaotic rampage through downtown mowing everyone down if i had power armour and a laser chaingun, but honestly with leather armour and a hunting rifle I should not be able to casually walk into the capital building and clear it out.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:34 am

as I said, up with the difficulty setting :)

but yea, it's not completely fallout, but I don't think it's too much un-fallout either... people said the same about fallout tactics, I say now what I said then: It's still fallout, just a different way of portraying it. As I said, not enough Fallout to deserve a 10/10, but still enough Fallout to be a pretty good game.

oh, and I figured out the companions' weapon and armour system... like in the 2nd game, give them a weapon / armor better than their current and they'll equipp it (don't ask me where they get ammo from though, still seem like a mystery). On the downside, you can only have 1 companion + Deadmeat, at a time. A step back from previous games I'd say, but then again it all comes down to Bethaseda being too lazy to put some real work into the companions, so they feel more like a bonus than a major part of the game... then again, it's all about "you" in this game anyway :)

oh, and maybe I should add that I've only seen like one bug in this game, and that's a graphic glitch that once turned a texture in a cavern all glowing and flickering, however the next time I entered the same place it was gone.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:17 pm

Pengu wrote:From what I have played of it so far it is a good game, but it is not fallout. Too different in too many ways to be called fallout 3. Honestly the only enemy so far that has given me any real trouble were deathclaws, and aside from that everything seems to die too easily, hell even the death claws die to easily. I could maybe understand my chaotic rampage through downtown mowing everyone down if i had power armour and a laser chaingun, but honestly with leather armour and a hunting rifle I should not be able to casually walk into the capital building and clear it out.
deathclaws are trouble? ..you've a few more baddies to meet that'll redefine that, sounds like you're playing on too easy a setting as well.. Also: no one really cares that 'it is not fallout' because it is a good game.

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Alien Blaster: With an energy weapons level of 60, it took me three headshots to drop a super-mutant Behemoth :)

Nothing has been worse than being surrounded by five Yao Guai that scared the hell out of me. If you're not paying attention and they initiate attack, it really doesn't take long to die.

Moose
Has barely posted

Post by Moose » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:42 pm

I played the game to level 20 with hard and I found the deathclaws to be the hardest opponents in the game. They're fast enough and can handle enough damage to close the distance between you and them before you're able to shoot them down with most weapons, even when I had small an energy weapons at 100. I tried to avoid them before I found the alien blaster. That gun then took one deathclaw down with 2 shots (and never missed when using the V.A.T.S.). With the same fire rate as laser pistol, the deathclaws didn't get anywhere near me anymore. But the other enemies in the game didn't have much of a chance either when using it.

I liked the game but some things bothered me quite a bit. For example, the guy who wanted me to rig the a-bomb to explode shot the town sherif in a crowded bar and no one besides me even noticed it. Everyone just continued their "what a beatiful day it is today" routine and his corpse stayed on the bar floor for weeks without anyone doing anything about it. That's poor scripting if I've ever seen any and I was about to quit playing the game then and there. I'm glad that I continued though because the game turned out to be great anyway even with such small flaws. Too many of the guests were "go there and kill everything that moves" type, fitting for the post apocalyptic world perhaps but I would have preferred some variance. I'd still give it 9/10 though, haven't enjoyed a single player game this much in ages.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:44 pm

My brother was playing hardest setting on his 360, he shat is pants over Mole Rats in the beginning... then again, he never got the "repellent" stick :P

Pengu
Exuberant

Post by Pengu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:44 pm

dox wrote: deathclaws are trouble? ..you've a few more baddies to meet that'll redefine that, sounds like you're playing on too easy a setting as well.. Also: no one really cares that 'it is not fallout' because it is a good game.
When your level 5, and all you really have is a hunting rifle, yeah deathclaws are pretty damn hard to kill. The thing is everything else is just stupid easy to kill. I'm not playing on easy either. It just feels too much like an fps where your expected to solo kill entire enemy armies, and then you can do it easily. In fallout 1+2 having those extra party members early on signifigantly helped out, because until you had power armour, and a plasma rifle(or some other late game gun) you could not really solo more than a couple of people, and definatelly could not trample supermutants armed with miniguns at lvl 5 with a bolt action rifle. I just find it way way too much of a departure from the earlier games in terms of difficulty, plot, and gameplay to call it fallout 3. I expected that from the beginning and I was right, so while it is still fun it is not fallout.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Pengu wrote:
dox wrote: deathclaws are trouble? ..you've a few more baddies to meet that'll redefine that, sounds like you're playing on too easy a setting as well.. Also: no one really cares that 'it is not fallout' because it is a good game.
When your level 5, and all you really have is a hunting rifle, yeah deathclaws are pretty damn hard to kill. The thing is everything else is just stupid easy to kill. I'm not playing on easy either. It just feels too much like an fps where your expected to solo kill entire enemy armies, and then you can do it easily. In fallout 1+2 having those extra party members early on signifigantly helped out, because until you had power armour, and a plasma rifle(or some other late game gun) you could not really solo more than a couple of people, and definatelly could not trample supermutants armed with miniguns at lvl 5 with a bolt action rifle. I just find it way way too much of a departure from the earlier games in terms of difficulty, plot, and gameplay to call it fallout 3. I expected that from the beginning and I was right, so while it is still fun it is not fallout.
I can see what you mean, however I set the setting to Hard first thing I did, and my current lvl 6 char can barely take 3 raiders with firearms alone with a combat shotgun / Chinese Assaultrifle in close quarters, if I faced more than 1 supermutie at a time I'd either run out of stims or die :P
I'm even thinking of setting it to even harder if possible, to get that thrilling "survivalgame" feeling :)

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:13 pm

im not a fan of RPG Games, but i really enjoyed playing this game, my misses was hooked to it too lol. 9/10 for me

twister
Prolific

Post by twister » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:00 am

Im not going to review the game etc but all i can say is that i am loving it and by far my favourite game atm thats cod5 and far cry 2 into account as well.
Batten down the hatches, theres a Twister a coming

XtracerD
Elite

Post by XtracerD » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Good game, finished it yesterday :) A bit of a fast ending though...

Lembit
Elite

Post by Lembit » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:32 pm

At lvl 14 and 45 hours of playtime, I find it a very good game even though it is not a falloutgame rather then a game with fallout theme. My problem with the game is that Im far too hooked with just exploring and gathering and not with following the main story, hope I can pick up the trail again and finish the game before I get bored with. :wink: