[Film] Star Trek [no spoiler version]

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

[Film] Star Trek [no spoiler version]

Post by dox » Mon May 11, 2009 1:43 pm

The wait is over. Did J.J.Abrams mess up a franchise that many have held sacred for decades? I don't think so.

Having spent more than enough time with these characters (and descendants) over the years I went in with a great amount of suspicion, trepidation and overall skepticism layered upon my sense of duty. I came out entertained and satisfied that I had seen yet another installment in the Star Trek series of films with the realization that every one of the movies (except perhaps the first one) have their share of over-the-top'ness; the camp, the action, the inside-jokes..

I think the cast nailed it where they could (admittedly some of the characters didn't have much of a source to work from), the special effects are definitely above-par, the plot's got some holes and is at times murky; but this is propped up by the fact that it's a prequel -- something our friend George Lucas failed miserably at (this becomes all the more evident when you watch this film, the contrast is palpable) -- so criticism is quickly pushed aside by your mind gathering up previous, err, future events and clicking them in to place. Oh yes, there's time-travel involved (/me rolls eyes) but it seems ok since as a viewer you're technically traveling back in time anyway.

If you're an ST fan you've probably already seen this, if you're not then you might want to: this isn't your average dark action flick, it's brighter, it's fun. Will it stand the test of time? I don't know. The previous cast(s) are legends and watching one of their films carries an additional weight, something this cast does not posses. It certainly won't come close to some of the cerebral challenges that some of the TV shows delivered, but it might just open you up in to a whole series of SciFi you hadn't explored before.

Good time for the nerds and the noobs - that's a significant accomplishment in and of itself.

Stardust
Prolific

Re: [Film] Star Trek [no spoiler version]

Post by Stardust » Thu May 14, 2009 9:54 am

I haven't seen it yet, but I will, soon... 8)

Hans
Prolific

Post by Hans » Thu May 14, 2009 5:53 pm

I thought it was a very good movie. My wife realy liked it, so take your women!

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Post by NoOutsTwice » Mon May 18, 2009 6:36 pm

Saw it yesterday. One of the best films in the franchise 2 date IMHO. Not stellar, but worth the price of admission.
win with honor