[Game] Battlefield 1943 First Impressions

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

[Game] Battlefield 1943 First Impressions

Post by dox » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 pm

First off, as I've been beating the drum before: that Frostbite engine is fun! It's fast, it's pretty and man does a lot of stuff blow up!

Now, with today being the first day we're experiencing the same thing that we see with every despicable launch that makes every Battlefield early-adopter experience complete: unplayable lag, rubber banding, lack of servers. It's only, like, their tenth time launching something like this so let's cut them some slack.

If you are lucky enough to get on a decent server you're going to be brought back to the good old days with the familiar Battlefield theme trumpeting away and your eyes will open wide as you re-visit maps that you haven't likely seen in many many years. This is what my mind remembers Battlefield as being; having revisited 1942 and DC a few times I've been dismayed at how my head made it all grander than it actually was.

This time around you may find yourself on a shiny new Wake island, completely familiar in many ways but altered such that old traps aren't really there anymore: a few new paths for tanks to drive on (rather than having to navigate a counter-intuitive bit of terrain) more trees (that you can shoot down) and in you go! Just like old times you hop in to battle, though limited to three classes.

How does the unlimited ammo work? Well, it just does - you can expend what ammunition you've got at which point the bullet icons are replaced by a timer that counts down and turns back in to ammunition. How this will play out in the long term we've yet to see, but being a tank and counting three rocket-propelled misses doesn't mean you're in the clear: you'd better kill that infantry before his timer replenishes his rocket count or you're going to be facing three more!

As with every iteration of Battlefield it gets easier and more accessible in terms of controls. It was a sad/pleasant surprise to see the return of something that requires skill in FFOW but I doubt it'll ever happen again in a proper BF title. That said, dog fighting is fun, bombing is a joy (once you figure out how to aim) - made all the more so when you experience it on the ground: the explosion, the high pitched squeal and resulting disorientation from your crumbling surroundings makes it all the better to force your victims through the same experience. Granted: this is done on the 360 controller with analog sticks (joystick flying being almost a thing of the past) but it's not as dumbed down as Battlefield Heroes.

Will this game have legs? I don't know. I still think BFBC2 is something we'll enjoy more but I can definitely see us spending many hours reliving old memories and introducing the PC gamer to the Frostbite engine in October when that version is released.

Vengeance
Prolific

Re: [Game] Battlefield 1943 First Impressions

Post by Vengeance » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Oh wow - this is out? Sigh. Still waiting for the PC Releaseeeeeeeeee :(

novamute
Has barely posted

Post by novamute » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:02 pm

given the lack of anything even vaguely fun looking on the PC, i think i'll give this a go on the 360...

on that note, is there a thread somewhere listing anyone's xbl gamertags, or a cc//360 section of the forums i've missed? i have to add everyone again (using a new gamertag on xbl, 'novamethod')

redfireant3
Prolific

Post by redfireant3 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:06 pm

the whole work around was stupid how you have to download a different EA game and sign in there instead of bf1943. as far as playing it it was fun like any other BF title but like BFBC is anyone else gonna play this?

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm [still] having quite a bit of fun with this one -- I'm toying with the idea of launching a proper 1943 division on the 360 for later expansion in to PC in October..

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:44 am

Not like I have much time for it, but I might have to check it out when it's released on PC.

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:21 pm

Im loving it, been playing it non stop. Can't wait for PC release.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:32 pm

Don't like this game, taking valuable players away from the hardware they should playing on!! :)

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:34 pm

I can't wait for the PC release either -- though I think flying with analog sticks is superior to mouse/keyboard.

I've also been playing this when I get a chance. There's still connectivity issues (though it's short lived and far less frequent than launch) and now that I've spent a little more time with it I've got five gripes:
  1. The long/range anti-infantry rifle seems like it's overpowered. Sure you can't zoom in as closely but it seems easier to take someone down that way than it does dealing with the brutal reload time of the sniper.
  2. The bombs on the planes have next-to-zero splash damage. I have literally dropped bombs 1ft away from tanks and infantry and they have survived -- I've also been on the receiving end of that and walked away unscathed despite all the dirt being kicked up around me.
  3. Private games MUST have 16 players (it's not a tragic flaw, but a bit of an annoyance)
  4. The squad system, though simple, is counter-intuitive at first. It might just take me getting used to.
  5. Microphones (at least on the 360) seem to have issues.
..to be honest, that's a shockingly small list if I really consider it. Definitely enjoying this, definitely worth $12 or whatever it cost.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:07 am

dox wrote:I can't wait for the PC release either -- though I think flying with analog sticks is superior to mouse/keyboard.
the wonder that is the pc allows you to plug your controller straight in and enjoy that steady flying you crave for, problem solved :)

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:04 am

lashley wrote:
dox wrote:I can't wait for the PC release either -- though I think flying with analog sticks is superior to mouse/keyboard.
the wonder that is the pc allows you to plug your controller straight in and enjoy that steady flying you crave for, problem solved :)
That's assuming a LOT on the part of PC game developers these days..

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:34 am

dox wrote:
lashley wrote:
That's assuming a LOT on the part of PC game developers these days..
And yet pretty much all games that have ANY sort of vehicles in them are well equipped to support X Box 360 controllers..

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:20 am

..and yet those games are crap because they're on PC

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:12 am

dox wrote:..and yet those games are crap because they're on PC
:( :cry:

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:30 am

PS3 Controller works like a charm for Street Fighter IV