Soo.. Windows 7?

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

ent
Prolific

Re: Soo.. Windows 7?

Post by ent » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Crystal wrote:It seems to hang when i'm using multiple programs, and I find Photoshop especially slow.
Your thoughts and feelings cannot suffice in an argument involving empirical data.

And don't forget about the features you're missing out on with XP:
  • The option to decode HD video on a graphics card rather than on the CPU
  • A search that relies on indexing rather than thrashing the drive each time you search for a file (Admittedly, the new desktop search was eventually thrown back to XP, but the point stands.)
  • No longer running everything as an administrator and instead requiring elevation prompts when software requires system access
  • Being able to push window rendering to the GPU rather than the CPU, an all around performance increase compared to XP on a similar specced machine
  • Copying multiple files and encountering an error on one no longer aborts the entire file copy operation
  • Search integrated into the start menu making it more accessible to launch applications when many are installed
  • The death of Outlook Express
  • DirectX 10 support
But wait, that's just in Vista! And I glossed over a whole lot of the technical and security improvements! Let's move on to what we get in Windows 7 now!
  • Libraries! Virtual folders that don't have to be set up in a completely retarded and convoluted manner that breaks a lot of applications! Now you have a completely transparent method of organising files in a single location without having to actually store them there!
  • Desktop slideshow that, unlike the OSX version (admittedly better in Snow Leopard) won't completely chug the system on occasion.
  • Search can now incorporate online resources, rather than just local and networked ones
  • Wireless networking is no longer a fucking trainwreck.
  • Actual multitouch support that actually works!
  • The new taskbar which merits another list that I'm creating RIGHT NOW!
  • Alt-tab now shows previews of the applications you're running!
  • Quicklaunch is gone, now replaced by pinning applications to the taskbar!
  • Thumbnail preview from Vista now allows the user to close windows from the preview itself, supports tabbed applications and will update ALL non-mimized windows in a grouping instead of just the foremost one.
  • Jumplists allowing you to do things like open recent files/pages/whatever the developer sees fit from the preview itself
  • The notification area no longer sucks dicks when trying to organize it and can be done entirely through drag and drop motions!

billflu
Prolific

Post by billflu » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:01 am

Just installed 7 x64 and it's running well. It picked up on most drivers by itself.

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:02 pm

So, I'm gonna ditch XP altogether then. First I want to know a couple of tings...

Will I need to use my motherboard driver disk at all, if so - for which drivers?

Secondly, to set up my hard disks in RAID-0, must they be of identical size/brand, and has anyone done this in Windows 7 yet?

Lastly, is there anything different I should know about how to get an optimum setup with this so it runs quicker than it has been - thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong?

3ntropy - wanna hop on vent and explain that setup we were discussing the other day when you got time? :D

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:36 pm

Crystal wrote:It seems to hang when i'm using multiple programs, and I find Photoshop especially slow.
Yeah i noticed that too, little annoying but i love W7

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 pm

More RAM coming on Wednesday - if it doesn't improve with 8GB I'll be disappointed.

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Crystal wrote:More RAM coming on Wednesday - if it doesn't improve with 8GB I'll be disappointed.
What bit you using?

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 pm

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Crystal wrote:64
Sound, Let me know how the 8GB sticks work out. If it fails. Maybe theirs something to fix the hang?

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:36 pm

jackash wrote:
Crystal wrote:64
Sound, Let me know how the 8GB sticks work out. If it fails. Maybe theirs something to fix the hang?
reformat.

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:36 am

Will update when install is done. Will post up what progs I have installed aswell so might be worth comparing etc. Hoping to ditch XP this week for good, it's gonna be a big change for me, I've always been an avid fan but I really want this to work out!

Quex

Post by Quex » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:32 am

I really want 7, but i cba re-downloading and re-installing all my hardware, i might upgrade when XP is as old as 98 ;)

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:57 am

Quex wrote:I really want 7, but i cba re-downloading and re-installing all my hardware, i might upgrade when XP is as old as 98 ;)
The built in driver base for 7 is incredible.

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:46 pm

i think im gona wait.. sucks because i want the x64 version but my process atm is 32 bit.. unless thats just with my current version of windows.. how can i tell?

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:01 am

What processor is it?

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Amd 4400+ X2

but i did the find what bit thing your running it it was the X82 or some shit.. i know its 32bit windows.. but what governs what bit u can run your cpu mobo wat? obviously your OS but does the other 3 have an effect on it? what is the advantage of running 64 over 32?