Laptops?

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

Smithy
Prolific

Laptops?

Post by Smithy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Im looking to buy one for my wife this holiday season.. and i have no xperiance in this department what so ever... i was hoping maybe some Crack Heads could help me out..
Things my wife wants on her laptop

Built in Wireless
Built in Web Cam
Cd and or Dvd Burner..
Lots of HD Space
And maybe the potentioal to play games like Bio Shock but this is defiantly not a gamers laptop..

please help!

Cobra
Prolific

Re: Laptops?

Post by Cobra » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 pm

I've always loved Dell laptops, especially the home/personal ones. They are fast, with great CPU, lots of RAM, ample HD Space and excellent integrated graphics cards...and usually all for under $500.

No offense to Toshiba, Sony, etc, and I might be biased since I own a Dell laptop myself, but I have had no complaints nor need to contact their support whatsoever. Their Inspiron line has to be one of their best.

One I just saw on their site:

Model: Inspiron 1545
CPU: Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4300 (2.1GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB cache)
Memory: 3GB DDR2
Hard Drive: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Video Card: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
CD/DVD: 8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Wireless: Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Webcam: Integrated 1.3 MP Webcam
Service Plan/Support: 1 Year Basic Service Plan

Price: $499

Some of the items are usually upgradable too, like pay a bit extra for a larger battery, longer warranty service, etc.

I own the Inspiron 1521. It's about two years old but it runs faster than any laptop I've owned before and have had no reason to upgrade.

Just my two cents.

Atomic
Opulent

Re: Laptops?

Post by Atomic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 am

Personally my last two laptops have been dell and one thing I'll say is to watch out for the built-in webcam and for the love of all that's holy make sure you get a 3-year warranty with the thing. My first laptop had everything bar the monitor and the battery replaced within 3 years (this was back around 2001-4) and my current one (an XPS 1530 if I remember right) could do with a service and getting a few bits looked at on it and it's coming up on 18 months now.