Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

[email protected]|con
Elite

Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)

Post by [email protected]|con » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 am

Go buy this game. Go beat it. Afterwards, let a tear drop from your eye because you just completed the most EPIC and one of the most well made games to ever be released. A more detailed review will be coming within the next couple days. This game is a must buy.

dox
Prolific

Re: Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)

Post by dox » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 am

You beat this IN ONE DAY?! Buzzed: Falcon needs a job :)

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 pm

dox wrote:You beat this IN ONE DAY?! Buzzed: Falcon needs a job :)
CLEARLY

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 pm

A fair and balanced review: Gamespot

http://www.7daysite.co.uk - Websites in only 7 days!

Pengu
Exuberant

Post by Pengu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:21 pm

IT was epic Dox I finished it last night. SO EPIC. There's only a few things I didn't really like. Most of those things are spoilerific in some way though.

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Have they fixed the terrible AI and 99% of the planets you visit looking exactly the same?

If so I might buy it!

Pengu
Exuberant

Post by Pengu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm

The planets thing is definitely gone. All the side missions are actually fun now, and the Mako is fucking dead. I shot the corpse of that bitch up. All planetary exploration is done from your ship and if theres an actually mission on the planet you just go down to it in a shuttle. As for terrible ai, hard to say. Your teammates are way less prone to bunching up around you and not taking cover, at the same time though this can get annoying because they sometimes don't follow you close enough and you then can get overwhelmed by the enemy.

[email protected]|con
Elite

Post by [email protected]|con » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:37 pm

I have a job interview tomorrow morning :). Anyway, I will have a full review up by saturday I think. Some of my friends are wanting me to write one so, hopefully I will have it done! And gamespot is terrible for reviews. That site is junk. Go to IGN if you want the good one.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:50 pm

[email protected]|con wrote:
I have a job interview tomorrow morning :). Anyway, I will have a full review up by saturday I think. Some of my friends are wanting me to write one so, hopefully I will have it done! And gamespot is terrible for reviews. That site is junk. Go to IGN if you want the good one.
That's kind of tarring all the writers with the same brush, that particular review seemed entirely correct to me. But what do i know, I've only completed the game 3 times already :)

[email protected]|con
Elite

Post by [email protected]|con » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Gamespot just isn't as good as it used to be since all the drama happened. They named demon soul's game of the year, I think that would have made it obvious enough.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:23 pm

1. Game has the same renegade/paragon meter that the first one had. It works the same in this one slightly more in-depth, and it has greater consequences. What i would say is; if your looking to play the game more than once, than choose one. Go for being a bad-ass or a hero, if you stick with both, the next time you play through you may end up doing a lot of the same things you done the first time. But if you go for good, the next time you play evil, you really will have a totally different experience. And vice verse.

GunCrazy
Prolific

Post by GunCrazy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:09 pm

lashley wrote:That's kind of tarring all the writers with the same brush, that particular review seemed entirely correct to me. But what do i know, I'm only a computer hermit virgin.
fixed

second i only got a short play time with it at a friends house but it looks pretty good and alot less boring then #1 which i gave like 1 hour then gave it back to my friend.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:54 pm

I definitely miss driving around on planet surfaces; not sure if I dig the planet scanning alternative that they put in its place but otherwise it's pretty cool, a lot fixed - it's pretty deep, interesting story.

lashley
Prolific

Post by lashley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 pm

dox wrote:I definitely miss driving around on planet surfaces; not sure if I dig the planet scanning alternative that they put in its place but otherwise it's pretty cool, a lot fixed - it's pretty deep, interesting story.
Agreed it gets very tedious after a while and the mako was fun if not for all its flaws. Still some graphical issues that are annoying (Why give him a cigarette if he can't put it in his mouth?) but all in all a very good game.

P.S. Who deleted my second post? Why?

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:59 am

I stayed away from this topic until I had time to beat the game...

Scanning planets DO get tedious after a while, but boy, it's an enormous improvement compared to the mako. It was fun on, say, noveria and maybe the final prothean ruins, but that's about it. I only scanned for resources whenever I needed them, and there are way, way more planets with resources than you need. I only really bothered with the "rich" ones. On everything else, I just made a quick sweep to see if there were any high tops.

Story is indeed interesting and after my first run through of the game, I get this feeling that they really succeeded with having your actions from the first game affect the second game, which made me think twice on all my choices in this game.

The in-depth on all the side-quests was fantastic. And although I sometimes enjoyed customizing all weapons with mods, it was tedious and being overwhelmed with them only meant constantly reducing to omnigel. Not having that made the looting of the game a bit more enjoyable, but having some more of each of the weapons would be nice. Just a few more would be enough for me. The feeling I get as far as equipment and skills goes is that they dumbed it down, but with good reason. It wasn't very convincing with three people running around with 50 armors, 60 weapons and a scibillion mods. It didn't really matter either since you pretty much just used one or two armors throughout the first game anyway, besides... the weapons' capability was pretty much depending on the mods you put in them. Kind of.

Modding Shepard's armor and researching upgrades was a system that appealed to me. I sort of miss being a superbiotic rushing into a room filled with thugs and incapacitating them with 5 different powers in matter of seconds, though. But the shockwave you get as a vanguard kind of makes up for that... a bit.

As far as gameplay goes, it felt like five steps forward, one step backwards. As far as the story and main-quests goes, it was... interesting. You could tell it was the 2nd game in a trilogy (allways have a bit of a negative effect), but they pulled it off well for one such. Looking forward to the 3rd game!