Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Re: Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)

Post by NoOutsTwice » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 pm

I just finished playing through the first time. Even on insanity, I wish it had been a bit more challenging in spots. This is easiy one of the top ten games I have ever played in 25+ years of PC gaming. I have been playing it day and night for 3 days now; it's completely engrossing and immersive, and a satisfying sequel to the first Mass Effect.

One of my oldest friends was lead level design for this game. The guys really gifted. I know from (not) talking to him that his team really put blood, sweat and tears into this game. I think it especially shows in the cinematic and voice-acting detail that is lovingly rendered even into remote corners. Other than the silly planet scanning, and some unavoidable store hopping, there is very little repetition in the game.

Has anyone played the DLC? Is it worth it?
win with honor

Bradders
Fecund

Post by Bradders » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:19 pm

the DLC is is defo worth your money, the shadow Broker misson is great and the Thief and Zaeed are good too

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Bradders wrote:the DLC is is defo worth your money, the shadow Broker misson is great and the Thief and Zaeed are good too
Overlord is also great. It has awesome driving segments with the Hammerhead which is much more fun to drive than the Mako.

Interesting story, and a decent amount of gameplay too.

Bradders
Fecund

Post by Bradders » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Overlord was only ok i thought, i was playing on insanity and i still found it too easy

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:50 am

There is nothing "only okay" in the Mass Effect universe, everything is amazing.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 pm

ent wrote:There is nothing "only okay" in the Mass Effect universe, everything is amazing.
I could name a few "not so amazing" things about ME:

The Mako
Planet Scanning
The fact that they once again throw The basic Bioware story at you (you know, the same old "ancient threat" that they always throw at you)
The fact that they still haven't found a good balance between "too much" and "not enough" as far as inventory and abilities goes
The Mako

That being said, I am a huge fan of Bioware games, ME in particular, and totally put up with those little annoyances because most parts of the ME-games are just amazingly well executed. And with every sequel they make, they just seem to listen more to their fanbase.

If only Bioware and Obsidian could cooperate on a game, then we'd get an amazing game. Both just seem to lack what the other one have.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm with Shaddow on this almost word for word except that I think Mako > PlanetScan :)

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:08 am

Shaddowmaster wrote:The Mako
It's fun! Plus you don't have to upgrade like you do in ME2, so you only have to spent ~30 mins driving it minimum.
Shaddowmaster wrote:Planet Scanning
That was patched to become a lot less tedious, plus the upgrade makes it even easier. It doesn't take very long at all to find the requisite materials for all the ship upgrades, but if you're a completionist you should expect to get punished a bit.
Shaddowmaster wrote:The fact that they once again throw The basic Bioware story at you (you know, the same old "ancient threat" that they always throw at you)
Really? ME2 was a freakin heist movie. The idea that some species comes every so many hundreds of thousands of years to harvest our technology and wipe it anew is badass. So what if they're ancient? It's space. Space is really big and really old. Of course they're ancient. Here, let Carl Sagan teach you about the cosmic calendar.

Shaddowmaster wrote:The fact that they still haven't found a good balance between "too much" and "not enough" as far as inventory and abilities goes
I think ME2 hit the nail on the head, though the first one's inventory system was a giant PITA.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:50 am

Planet Scanning was a failure, but at least you could skip a lot of it by just picking Rich planets and only harvesting as much as necessary, usually you could do this by spending an extra few minutes before every sidequest without actually having to go out and farm.

With the mako, you HAD to drive that fucker around on vertical surfaces every god damn side-quest that wasn't on the citadel... (pretty much). Let's face it, that car handled like an ass.

As far as inventory and abilities goes, I think ME2 did a hell of a lot better than ME1, but I'm just saying I like a little more variety and cusomization. I'd like to see something along the lines of the system for ME2, but slightly more content. I mean, why can't I mod my weapons like I can mod my armor?
Also, as I played Vanguard, Adept and Infiltrator in ME1, I was kind of bummed out by the fact that you got global cooldowns on abilities in ME2. Running into a room and just wreaking havoc with biotics in ME1 was awesome, in ME2 I was forced to just sit behind chest-high walls and slowly but surely take the enemies out one by one by using the same 2-3 abilities over and over. You pretty much just pick one for each of your 3 party memebers and just spam. So more variation and more reason to actually use your stuff would make me happy.

As far as the story goes, I agree that Bioware pulled of a clever new angle in ME, although I miss having an actual antagonist to chase after in ME2 (Saren did add a lot of flavour to the game, Harbinger didn't). Also, although Bioware did what I would call "the best of the situation" with the reapers, I'm still getting a little bored with having to face the same old "Ancient threat about to wake up and come back and wipe out all sentient beings" story. Would be fun to see the bad stuff be someone who's just clever and imaginative rather than ancient and allmighty.

Also, there are a lot of things about the whole concept with the reapers that I question strongly. As a science fiction fan, I like some science to my fiction and there are a few things, mostly "energy cost efficiency" of the reapers' harvest process, that just don't add up in my opinion.

I still think ME is doing a hell of a lot better job than a whole lot of other games. It's still a diamond among the coal pits, it's just a chipped diamond, that's all.
Just sayin'