[Movie] TRON: Legacy

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

ent
Prolific

[Movie] TRON: Legacy

Post by ent » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:47 pm

On Flixster I rated the movie 5/5 with the following note attached: "It's not as 'good' per say as other movies I've rated five stars, but it absolutely delivered on everything I wanted from it and then some."

I'm just going to copy and paste some stuff I wrote on Facebook because I'm lazy:

As for the five stars, I didn't come to the movie for the plot, I fully expected it to be an eye candy / fun actiony movie, kind of like Avatar. Ebert said the plot was a complete trainwreck. I don't think it was *that bad*, and it didn't get in the way or break the suspension of disbelief. (Michael Sheen's scenes were bad though)

Ultimately, film is designed to evoke emotion -- in more prestigious movies like There Will Be Blood or The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford you have a more upper level intrigue going on. You're trying to get into their heads and figure out what they're thinking, what the other characters are going to do, etc. With a movie like Tron you have it touching on more simple, raw emotions -- action, excitement, suspense, wonder, etc.

While the movie might not be as much of a technological marvel as Avatar, the action sequences were so much more engaging and exciting. I felt chills run down my spine at pretty much every action sequence in the movie. Outside of the action bits, there were some really badass things going on. There were probably four times when I wanted to turn to my friend and go "THIS IS SO COOL", but I didn't want to ruin the movie for him, haha.

Don't think that it's just going to be a bunch of computer moon language, there's really not any of it. (unlike the original). Tron's world is just a whole new secret universe to a few that have found it, kind of like in the Chronicles of Narnia.

(Note: I *HATE* the Narnia movies and don't want this compared to them in any shape or form. It just made a good metaphor)

The whole thing looked really, really awesome, and then Daft Punk's soundtrack multiplied that by five. Even if you thought the movie was stupid and hated the characters, you would probably still enjoy this movie as a two hour long Daft Punk music video. (a slightly more exciting one than Electroma :P )

Cobra
Prolific

Re: [Movie] TRON: Legacy

Post by Cobra » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Nice review, thanks. My brother and I were deciding whether or not to see this movie, and based on some online reviews (including yours) we'll probably go see it in IMAX 3D this weekend.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm gonna see it in IMAX on Monday, we'll see if I have a bigger boner for this movie after that. I saw it in RealD 3D so: 2K, typical theater sound. IMAX: 4K, 40 minutes worth of IMAX aspect ratio footage, and loud clear Daft Punk being blown from all directions. I'm guessing that my desk will be getting a fifth leg.

Psunfragga
Prolific

Post by Psunfragga » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 pm

saw it at the IMAX, loved the effects and nerdiness but was left far from satisfied :( characters too flimsy, thus hasnt lived up to the hype.