Dubstep whaat?!

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Dubstep whaat?!

Post by dox » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:37 pm

After rolling my eyes for a long, long time at the try-hard, no-talent dubstep 'genre' that I felt fell way, way short of what I'd deem as "good" music (or anything close; really, I friggin hate most of it) I found a track that forced a paradigm shift on me and has messed with my head..

KERRRSNAP! (The sound of internal conflict)

..that is just a bad-ass fusion right there and consequently a siiiiick choon (wait for 1:12 to feel it; your subwoofer'll give you a foot massage) - total redemption there, so what do I do? It appears that I need to be seeking out a particular dubstep sub-genre? Or is this just not Dubstep (I don't think it is though it fits the definition!)?! How do I find more without going insane listening to the other stuff? Honestly, it just sounds/feels like a contemporary take on Dub..

Same producer drops another one that works for me as well:

These are clearly related to 'proper' dub that I love, such as:

and

Hopefully this is enough an explanation to you savvy dubsteppers to point me in the right direction!? ..or is it so far removed from "Dubstep" that you'd just call it "Dub" (tsk tsk) and don't like it at all?

Note in advance -- easy on the hate in this thread please and thanks, am trying to get something done here :)

Atomic
Opulent

Re: Dubstep whaat?!

Post by Atomic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Definitely sounds like you're into the the dub side of things.

Most of what I come across when I'm looking for tunes is just really hard, dirty bass and not alot else (not what I go for personally - having to wade through loads of tracks like that makes finding decent tunes a chore). Can't say I've heard many tracks like the ones you posted.

I just went and trawled the first couple of pages of dubstep on trackitdown (where I tend to get most of my mp3s these days) and put together a little sampler of what I can find from the various corners of dubstep.

http://www.trackitdown.net/playlist/show_public/1001573

track 1 - It ain't over: dirty bass, nice vocals. Almost the kind of thing that would get into the charts here right now (if you toned down the bass anyway).
track 2 - cloudburn: the track really starts to come together at the 2-minute mark. Probably the kind of thing I'd listen to in the office while coding.
track 3 - cardiac arrest: guaranteed to wreck your speakers. It's got enough going on over the top of the bass to keep the track alive
track 4 - pillowtalk: this most definitely comes from the garage end of dubstep. Reminds me of my college days :)
track 5 - proppa: this can probably be best described as deep & glitchy. It's somewhat toward the tech house / electronic end of the spectrum.
track 6 - thriller: Deep, angry, but not as violent as alot of dubstep tracks get. Feels a bit industrial in a way.

As far as looking for tracks goes, I'd suggest beatport and trackitdown as options. They both have good selections and they both let you sample decent portions of tracks to see what you're getting into before you buy anything.

Disclaimer: that list isn't necessarily stuff that I'd buy, but I figured that it represented a section of the genre.

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:26 pm

C'mon dox, not this fight again :P

How can you say this shits not HAWT!

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Live recordings of me, and bailey at dubstep night

keK
Prolific

Post by keK » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Dubstep is black or white for me, I know how ya feel dox.

There's only a certain/specific type of dubstep that works for ya.

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:28 pm

dox just doesn't like to feel his old bones rattling when theres a big drop....

I think for everyone theres some dubstep they'll hate and some they'll love, like most of the stuff jack throws up(except Doctor P) makes me want to uppercut him, but theres alot I listen to that I absolutely love, mostly the dubstep remixes of other songs though tbh.

Cobra
Prolific

Post by Cobra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:50 pm

How about some Dubstep Beatbox?

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Holyman wrote:dox just doesn't like to feel his old bones rattling when theres a big drop....

I think for everyone theres some dubstep they'll hate and some they'll love, like most of the stuff jack throws up(except Doctor P) makes me want to uppercut him, but theres alot I listen to that I absolutely love, mostly the dubstep remixes of other songs though tbh.
Too much for you Holy?

Some nice Commercial softstep for you :)

Atomic
Opulent

Post by Atomic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 pm

jackash wrote:Some nice Commercial softstep for you :)
meh, I still would

Crystal
Prolific

Post by Crystal » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:44 am

The first videos Dox posted - I like them all. But if id have heard these before tonight id have put them all down as Reggae - what a nub I am hehe :)

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:54 am

Fell in love with this instantly

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:56 am

Old but relevant!

Power$hot
Prolific

Post by Power$hot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

There is a documentary film on Hulu called "Copyright Criminals". It discusses the artistic value of sampling music along with issues of copyright law and money.
Clyde Stubblefield(funky drummer) is the most sampled drummer, but has never received one penny.

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Power$hot wrote:There is a documentary film on Hulu called "Copyright Criminals". It discusses the artistic value of sampling music along with issues of copyright law and money.
Clyde Stubblefield(funky drummer) is the most sampled drummer, but has never received one penny.
I'd put that up against the Amen Break which spawned several genres of music based on one sample.

(ahhh, thread hijack, lol)

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am

Proper Chilled out dubstep