[Game-Demo & Review] Dragon Age 2

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

[Game-Demo & Review] Dragon Age 2

Post by NoOutsTwice » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:47 pm

I just played through the brief demo for this soon to be released title. It's available now on steam.

The gameplay seems to be more of the same from the DA:origins arena. The graphics are MUCH better; really beautiful. The combat is essentially the same, but has more of a martial arts/street-fighter type feel to it.

I have a feeling this title is gonna be a real beauty. I'm pretty stoked about it. :)

edited 3-16-11
Last edited by NoOutsTwice on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
win with honor

WolfPack
Exuberant

Re: [Game-Demo] Dragon Age 2

Post by WolfPack » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:08 pm

The graphics are good, and you can run it on high at max resolution with a old machine, its a great engine, the same goes for the other bioware games such as mass effect 2 and DA 1.

An army of sheep led by a lion, can defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

How much we ought to dread the jaws of hell, if the jaws of so small an animal as a wolf can make a whole city tremble through fear

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:24 pm

..tried it; in spite of being a big fan of the genre it really did nothing for me. If I wanted action in my RPG I think I'd go about it slightly differently than the button-mashing this demo showed off.

haZard.239
Intermediate poster

Post by haZard.239 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:30 am

yea not a fan of dragon age either

and i have been looking for a good single player RPG to play :(

Atomic
Opulent

Post by Atomic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:27 am

Same here - I got DA1 with high hopes but I completely failed to get into it (same with the last rpg I bought - the Witcher). Sounds like DA2 is more of the same so I guess I'll have to wait for Skyrim (which looks like it's shaping up to be all kinds of awesome).

Roll on November...

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Man i just have such a hard time being captivaited by single player games..

When the orginal DA:O came out i loved it for about a week... was awesome.. then i just kind of stopped playing it.. and then i uninstalled it.. haha

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 pm

I don't know, I kind of liked the demo, it lacked a few things, but demos usually do.

It kind of feels like DA2 will have a few of the things DA:O lacked to involve you in the game and hopefully the class-balance won't be broken like it was in the original game. I'm not going to hype it but I'm sure I won't regret my pre-order.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:25 pm

You haven't seen me around for a couple of days, part of the reason is that the game was released

... it's so much better than the first game.

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Post by NoOutsTwice » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 pm

I've been playing this title for a couple of days now - here are some brief thoughts:

The interface and overall gameplay are much smoother than the previous incarnation: it's like windows 7 to XP. Combat is more challenging since enemies appear from behind you all the time, so tactically it's a much better game than it was before. The RPG elements of the new game are pretty much nerfed down to where this title is somewhat on par with dungeon seige. ie. more of an action title with some fairly deep role-playing elements.

There are still some compelling moral challenges and choices, and the characters are pretty well fleshed out and interesting. Dialogue is still great. The maps are a bit repetitive. Saving the world seems to be on the back burner, but that kinda got tiresome as a motivation for me anyhow. The music is ok, but a step down from the original IMHO. Introductory story and character development is uberfail.

Overall this game is probably a bit more accessable to the average gamer than the previous title, but the died-in-the-wool RPG'ers like myself are gonna be left a tad flat in that area.

Still, even at the brutal price of $60 USD, this game is VERY entertaining and has exceptionally high production value throughout.

Recommended. 8/10
win with honor

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Re: [Game-Demo & Review] Dragon Age 2

Post by Shaddowmaster » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:47 am

I agree with most of that, but not with the character developement and story

I love the story and main character of this game, it's so much more lively and plausible (as far as a fantasy rpg game goes). It feels more real. You're not some superhuman trying to save the world, you're just a human being forced into a cascade of pressured situations forced to make some choices that makes you more and more intertwined in the politics of a chaotic city ready to burst. There's more persona, more motivation that can be related to

I think they pulled this off way better than most of those "retelling a story" games and I'd say this game had what I've been looking for in a bioware game for a long time. I was getting sick of all those "ancient threat" or "memory loss" games they'd been hauling over me (not that I mind them really, I still state I'm a sad sucker for bioware games, it's just I'd been slowly getting less and less worked up about them)

I also think Hawke is a great character, the voice-acting is very well done and the reactions and replies are good no matter which you pick (I've replayed some parts just to test it out, and I like them no matter which type of reaction you pick, most of the times)

And the sarcasm... I love a game that allows me to pick sarcastic replies pretty much all the time!

It's got it's flaws still, but I agree with an over all 8/10 score but probably for other reasons than NoOuts. The game's lived up to my expectations and beyond so far :D