Brink

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

[email protected]|con
Elite

Re: Brink

Post by [email protected]|con » Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 am

It is already getting bashed pretty hard. Makes me laugh.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Tue May 10, 2011 7:43 am

[email protected]|con wrote:It is already getting bashed pretty hard. Makes me laugh.

My experience has been that it's really fun. It's like Mirror's Edge meets Enemy Territory.

jackash
Prolific

Post by jackash » Tue May 10, 2011 8:05 am

Any good?... wont be picking it up this month.

[email protected]|con
Elite

Post by [email protected]|con » Tue May 10, 2011 8:27 am

Never said I did or didn't like it ent. So that youtube vid can shove it :). I am saying the game itself is already being trashed, and looks like it is becoming yet another over hyped, and disappointing FPS.

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Tue May 10, 2011 8:29 am

[email protected]|con wrote:I am saying the game itself is already being trashed, and looks like it is becoming yet another over hyped, and disappointing FPS.
It lives up to its hype. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

edit:
Jeeves wrote:Let me lay down some history on ET, since I very briefly worked with the original mod team that eventually became Splash Damage back in 1999 when they were working on Q3F. This will explain "BUT IT LOOKZ LIEK A TF2 CLONE!!!!!!"

This isn't an exact history, but this is it to the best of my knowledge.

In late 1999 - early 2000, when Quake 3 came out, there were a few modders that saw the awesome modability of that engine, and decided to update the original Quakeworld (Quake1 multiplayer over IP) Team Fortress. This was about the exact same time that Valve was making money hand over fist with Half Life (released in what, 98?) so they began investing their money by buying up other mod devs-- one of which was the guys behind QWTF.

The pre-Splash Damage folks (I was very briefly attached to the team [but not the main coder team] as just a mapper trying to do a nice conversion of Canalzone before I quit due to going to and focusing on college in summer 2000-- I wish I would have stuck with them though!) originally started the project with the goal of wanting to make an exact clone of TF only in Quake3's engine as the original QWTF was pretty good. But soon different factions began emerging, some people wanting purist play, and others realizing that the engine couldn't handle some aspects of the old play-- like corpses fading into the ground after 10 seconds meant spies feigning death would stand out like a sore thumb. This is kind of where spy's invisibility for TF2 came from, as that game engine has similar 'corpses don't stick around too long to blend in as a feigned corpse' as Quake3's did.

This all became a moot point when Valve filed an injunction against Q3F, as they had bought up the "Team Fortress" name and original modders and were quickly releasing Team Fortress Classic for the HL engine, meaning they didn't want competition on a non-valve platform. The group tried to turn the game into a non-copywrite infringing "Quake Fortress" or such, but I think the project began faltering.

That's when the Splash Damage (now formed into a legitimate company) folks decided to say fuck it to purism, and make changes to TF that they wanted to do-- and Enemy Territory was born. In ET, there were only 5 classes, but your specialization changed depending on what weapon you picked. Cov-Ops could be a sniper if their main gun was a sniper rifle, or a spy if their main gun was a silenced uzi, etc.

They've been stream-lining the game quite a bit since, and Quake Wars was one stop on that stream-lining. However, the lack of steam support really hurt that game, in my opinion, so no one really ever got into it. Plus it was in direct competition with TF2, which was a lot easier to learn how to play and a lot more accessible. However with TF2 being almost 4 years old now, the field is ripe for Enemy Territory to come back, and hopefully it will be around to stay for a while.

tl;dr: BRINK is the most recent game to come from the Enemy Territory gameplay, and the most streamlined so far. ET was a direct decendant of Quakeworld's TF, with folks taking some basic gameplay ideas and tweaking them to be better-- like getting rid of so many classes to balance, but giving players more freedom within the classes. If you like TF2, you'll probably like BRINK. If you hate/are bored with TF2, you'll probably definitely like BRINK. If you loved the fuck out of Enemy Territory, BRINK is for you!

Enef
Fecund

Post by Enef » Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 am

Dox's opinion is most valid for me here, waiting on what he says tbh.
 /l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

Sometimes Glass Shimmers More Than Diamonds Because It Has More To Prove.

Buzzed
Prolific

Post by Buzzed » Tue May 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Brink received a whopping 6 out of 10 from IGN.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1166987p1.html
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Enef
Fecund

Post by Enef » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 pm

XBOX360 brink received a 6/10

Why does everyone ignore the XBOX360 part of that review?
 /l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Tue May 10, 2011 12:44 pm

It'll take me more than 45 minutes of playtime to place an evaluation on the title :) ..furthermore: with all the hype leading up to launch every single review will, by definition, be less glowing (hype never looks at things critically, reviews do - they're two totally different things).

From what little I've seen so far; I wasn't thrilled with having to make a choice after launching the game and watching one cut scene (it's a relatively blind one) but I was surprised with some of the textures - not as muddy as I thought. Hopefully I get more time soon to play and take it through the paces. I know from that particular IGN review that, at the very least, I differ on the subject of sound: though I agree that explosions should be different I wouldn't have graded it as lowly as the reviewer given that the rest actually seems pretty decent (firefights sound cool, the concussive effect from explosive detonations is compelling).

Buzzed
Prolific

Post by Buzzed » Tue May 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Enef wrote:XBOX360 brink received a 6/10

Why does everyone ignore the XBOX360 part of that review?
Most places do not do PC reviews hence the console reviews. Experience has taught me that low scores on the Console usually translates to sucks hairy ass on the PC. Do I expect this to be any different? Not a chance.

Videogamer.com gave the PC version a 8/10.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/brink/review.html

Joystiq gave it a 2/5 for their PC review.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/brink-review/

Looks like it will be up to individuals as the scores for the game are all over the place.
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Enef
Fecund

Post by Enef » Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 pm

considering the PC version is supposed to be more than a port, i'd say ignore the console reviews for the most part (half of them spend time whining about a lack of matchmaking system, which doesn't make sense for a PC title as that would be the opposite of what you would want (you want a server browser) etc etc).
 /l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Tue May 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Buzzed wrote:Joystiq gave it a 2/5 for their PC review.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/brink-review/
Apparently the Joystiq reviewer 'Griffin McElroy' only played the game for an hour or two before giving his 2/5 review (currently the lowest around).

He played with a reviewer from ve3d, and only has the basic "turn the game on" and shit achievements, which you get from barely any gameplay.

Source: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60202 ... e-Thoughts

Journalistic integrity in 2011, alive and kicking.

The IGN review is also lunacy for quite a few reasons I don't really have the time to get into right now. From what I've seen so far the majority of the bad reviews are either because the game didn't run very well on their system (it *does* have some issues with AMD / ATI hardware but that'll be hotfixed), because it's not more like Call of Duty, because they played with bots which have pretty awful AI (not that we'll ever have to deal with that), or "waaaah teamwork is hard".
Euro Gamer -- 8 / 10 wrote:"Nonetheless, Brink is an exceptional team shooter, smart, supremely well balanced and with a unique, exciting art style. Splash Damage struggles to ease the player into its workings – evidence, perhaps, of the studio's background creating free mods for hardcore Quake players, who never needed much hand-holding.

But the clean menus and HUD have a slickness and simplicity of interaction that elevate the squad-shooter genre to a new level of style and polish. Likewise, in moment-to-moment play, this is often a more engaging, tighter experience than Valve's Team Fortress 2. For those who can leap that first hurdle, Brink should run and run."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... ink-review

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Tue May 10, 2011 3:24 pm

well i had 30 mins with it last night..

I quite enjoyed it.. Tons and tons of custmization on weapons and charecters..

The Recoil on the guns felt great... hip shooting was a bit to accurate but seemed legit.. Imho the sounds were pretty decent and the gfx not to shabby.. (i am on medium btw)

only complaint i had is i couldnt find the fucking multiplayer browser.. from what i understand is you just play the campaign and it drops you into games?

Enef
Fecund

Post by Enef » Tue May 10, 2011 3:37 pm

I've been watching some streams today, looks great!
 /l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

ent
Prolific

Post by ent » Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Smithy wrote:only complaint i had is i couldnt find the fucking multiplayer browser.. from what i understand is you just play the campaign and it drops you into games?
Click "Freeplay"
Enef wrote:I've been watching some streams today, looks great!
I could get a stream going if you guys were interested.