Help me :(

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

Safire

Help me :(

Post by Safire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm so stressed out. I got a virus on my laptop and took it to be repaired, 3 days later and £170 poorer the viruses are gone but now I cannot connect to the internet.
He replaced my wireless card because he said the old one was faulty, and installed the drivers for it and it looks to me like he uninstalled Intel Pro Set wireless and reinstalled it or updated it as it looks different to the old one.
I tried connecting to my family's network which is with Orange, I put in the key and everything and it still won't connect. The internet is working fine on my mum's computer.
I can however connect to a BT network (not ours) but still when I open Firefox it says it's offline, blah blah blah. I just don't know what to do, none of this makes sense to me, my brain hurts, I want to cry, please help :(

Cobra
Prolific

Re: Help me :(

Post by Cobra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:07 pm

What operating system is on the laptop? (Windows XP, Vista, 7) I help companies and individuals remove these type of virus infections all the time.

If it's Windows XP, the virus/spyware infection may have messed up the network protocols. There is a utility called Winsock XP Fix that can frequently heal the issues of lost connections after the removal of Adware/Spyware components. Run the utility, reboot the laptop and see if Internet has been restored. If you wish to try a more technical approach, and are comfortable with using the Command Prompt, you may try this solution too.

If you're using Vista or 7, use the Command line version to fix Winsock. Simply open a Command Prompt and enter the following commands and then reboot the laptop:

Code: Select all

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit
You can download an automated version of this in "script format" on a different computer and then transfer it to your laptop via portable USB disk if you have one available. The script can be downloaded here.

EDIT: Can you also check to see if the Internet works in other programs outside of the Web Browser? For instance an email program, Steam or a video game of some sort. I know of some infections that affect only web browser functionality.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. I'm happy to assist!

Safire

Post by Safire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Cobra - thank you for replying

I have Windows XP. Apparently the computer man could connect to his network fine after putting in the new card and updating intel pro set. I called him back and he said he doesn't understand why it won't connect for me. He put in a Intel 5100 card http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/ ... /index.htm

So if he could connect does that mean the virus might not be involved? :S

Cobra
Prolific

Post by Cobra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Since he was able to connect at one point, it does not sound like a virus issue. Rather, it might be related to the Intel ProSet Wireless software. I have seen it quite a few times where their software does not know how to handle certain Wireless networks.

My recommendation would be to disable it and use the built-in Windows wireless configuration software. Instructions follow:
  1. Locate the PROset/Wireless icon in your system tray (near the clock), right-click on it, and select "Use Windows to Manage Wi-Fi".
    • A screenshot of what the icon looks like:
  2. Once Intel’s wireless software is disabled, you'll need to enable a Windows Service called Wireless Zero Configuration Wizard.
    • Click on the Start Menu -> Run... and type in: services.msc and hit OK:
      • Image -> Image
    • Scroll down until you find Wireless Zero Configuration Wizard.
    • Right-click it and hit Start if it's not already:
  3. Once it's started, you can close down the Services window. You should see Windows' Wireless network icon appear in your system tray:
  4. Click on it and connect to your wireless network:
Let me know how it goes!

Cobra
Prolific

Post by Cobra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Continuation:

Once you've completed the steps above, you can make these additional changes to stabilize your Wi-Fi connectivity:
  • Click on Start -> Run... and type in: devmgmt.msc and hit OK.
  • Expand Network adapters and double-click on your Intel WiFi adapter:
  • Switch to the Advanced tab at the top and make the following changes:
    • Boldface represents the "Property".
    • Green, the "Value":
      • 802.11n Channel Width (2.4 and 5.2): Auto
      • 802.11n Mode: Disabled
      • Ad Hoc Default Wireless Mode: 0. 802.11b/g
      • Transmit Power: 5. Highest
      • Wireless Mode: 4. 802.11b/g

Mothy
Intermediate poster

Post by Mothy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:05 am

Jesus cobra, I for one, now know who i'm asking for help if the internet gods frown upon me :shock:

Cobra
Prolific

Post by Cobra » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Hehe. :D I hope it fixes her laptop's Wi-Fi issue!