Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

First Orbit

Post by dox » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:23 pm

..50 years ago today!

Beautiful film on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKs6ikmrLgg
A real time recreation of Yuri Gagarin's pioneering first orbit, shot entirely in space from on board the International Space Station. The film combines this new footage with Gagarin's original mission audio and a new musical score by composer Philip Sheppard. For more information visit http://www.firstorbit.org/
..the crackly, gushing, warbled, excited reports from Yuri are enough to give goosebumps as the team that made this film coincides footage of the earth (taken from the ISS) with the historic audio to match what he would have been seeing as history was made..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vostok_1

Vengeance
Prolific

Re: First Orbit

Post by Vengeance » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Now we just gotta work on landing on the moon instead of landing in Hollywood! :D :D :D

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Post by NoOutsTwice » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:11 am

Getting to the moon and back repeatedly with slide rule tech is something that will forever stand out to me as one of the greatest monuments to ingenuity, courage and curiosity in recorded human history.

I think it's indicative of the insignificance, mental laziness and apathy of the current generation(s) that we would even try to disbelieve this feat. Or is it just that we are such a pale reflection of the 'Greatest Generation' that we can't stand to live honestly in their shadow?

That generation was a whole crop of men and women culled and hardened by privation and war in a way we can't even really comprehend in our current state of moral and financial bankruptcy. It was a time when the whole country was united with a single voice and purpose.

When those men and women enjoyed the peace that resulted from the defeat of totalitarianism, they did so with a maturity and drive that is only born from real suffering and sacrifice. Can you picture Obama saying that within the decade we will go to mars and back? Can you picture our generation delivering on that seemingly impossible promise?

Think about that next time you go through and old box of photo's and spot some hornrimmed-wearing crew cut family member.
win with honor

Vengeance
Prolific

Post by Vengeance » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:14 am

Oh, don't take me seriously NoOuts. I don't actually believe it was created in Hollywood.

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Vengeance wrote:Oh, don't take me seriously NoOuts. I don't actually believe it was created in Hollywood.

Way to kick his dog bro.. :-({|= Cool movie dox.. was a bit log tho... i watched about 15 mins here at work and enjoyed it..

WolfPack
Exuberant

Post by WolfPack » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Despite my natural distaste for math, I enjoy physics. And I hope recent breakthroughs in LEO propulsion and Interstellar Propulsion will commence so that our generation can start colonizing and taking advantage of all the value in space. I am thinking about majoring in aeronautical/aerospace engineering with a double major in industrial business or manufacturing. I would very much like to design a space going craft that is low cost (relatively), and make them in numbers to encourage space exploration.

This is why i like EVE.

An army of sheep led by a lion, can defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

How much we ought to dread the jaws of hell, if the jaws of so small an animal as a wolf can make a whole city tremble through fear

NoOutsTwice
Fecund

Post by NoOutsTwice » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Aerospace is one of the most math intensive areas there is Wolfie. :) I was a physics major first time around, and the aerospace guys were thrown into our core classes; most floundered. You'd better either re-examine your goals or your feeling about math cause you're in for one heck of a tough ride even at the undergraduate level.
win with honor

Force
Has barely posted

Post by Force » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:07 pm

If you don't get on with maths, dont try aerospace engineering or it will take you a very long time to comeplete, trust me. Math comes back into many aerospace courses and you will need to use it in the physics based courses.