Skyrim?

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

dox
Prolific

Skyrim?

Post by dox » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm holding off on it because I'm afraid it will suck me in..

My biggest concerns are:
  • It'll be poo on PC (I'm convinced this will be the case anyway, so I'm looking at it only as a console option)
  • That it'll barely be improved from Fallout 3 in terms of textures
  • That the post-10-hour-mark is good (with this kind of game the first 10 or so hours are easy to wow people - I don't place much value on opening reviews)
  • That it's buggy/fail like the last few titles
..anyone put more than 10 hours in? Feedback?

Smithy
Prolific

Re: Skyrim?

Post by Smithy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:05 pm

i want it bad... lol but its SP and i know i wont get my money worth.. lol im holding out for now

Holyman
Prolific

Post by Holyman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:10 am

it's very good and should be a definite purchase for everyone who loves RPG's(this is from somebody who thought oblivion and fallout were horrible dull and boring) played 13 hours played since it's release last night(had work for 6 so that takes out like 8 hours of time i could of played

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Holyman wrote:it's very good and should be a definite purchase for everyone who loves RPG's(this is from somebody who thought oblivion and fallout were horrible dull and boring) played 13 hours played since it's release last night(had work for 6 so that takes out like 8 hours of time i could of played
I have been playing the shit out of skyrim the last 24 hours or so.. i should be back on bf3 after my weekends barrage of rpgness. Managed to get sick so i dont feel like being on mumble at the moment anyway...

Skyrim is worth every penny, such a well done game.

I agree with Dox that this is best suited as a console title, however with one caveat. Play it on PC!!!!!! I am using my 360 controller with my pc hooked up to my 52" 1080p tv, full pc ultra graphics and it is incredible. ps3/xbox ain't touchin this setup. Plus with the HDMI audio going through the surround setup... awwww yeah

happy skyrim
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Yea, had it picked up for me - have put a few in myself, but we're doing it in the theatre room w/the 360 so we've the surround sound big screen and, most importantly, couch :) Have come across several Bethesda style bugs though -- their QA is really really really crap.. again.. but it's a more welcome/lush environment than Fallout so that makes up for some of them..

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 am

i have given in to the peer pressure and it is now downloading...

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Smithy wrote:i have given in to the peer pressure and it is now downloading...
it took me a bit to understand Skyrim (as in how to look at it to enjoy it). Basically don't pay serious attention to the main storyline, and try to change things in the world that you would like to see changed. If you notice each town belongs to a faction, and within each town there are houses trying to gain power, and smaller than that are the families / lives with minor quests that appear.

*************** SPoiler *****************

I became Thane of Whiterun, and before i knew anything more about the story, i went to winterfell and joined those guys, who decided to invade whiterun. So here i am, given the Jarl of Whiterun's daughter as a servant basically, hailed as a hero of Whiterun, own property there... being asked to invade it and kill the Jarl. Epic trolling, Bethseda.

*** Not so spoiler ***

During my random question a dragon started circling a nearby town, so i ran over to check that out. I was ambushed by an assasin with a note for my head, fought along-side the bandits in the area all trying to kill the Dragon. A troll shows up and starts bashing the hell out of everything in sight, dragon still breathing fire at me with my shield blocking its fury of flames. All this going down as my companion Lydia fires arrows from where I placed her on a hilltop. The best part of all of this, is that it was all dynamic and unscripted content. shit just happens in skyrim.

Smithy
Prolific

Post by Smithy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 pm

justice7ca wrote:
Smithy wrote:i have given in to the peer pressure and it is now downloading...

*************** SPoiler *****************

I became Thane of Whiterun, and before i knew anything more about the story, i went to winterfell and joined those guys, who decided to invade whiterun. So here i am, given the Jarl of Whiterun's daughter as a servant basically, hailed as a hero of Whiterun, own property there... being asked to invade it and kill the Jarl. Epic trolling, Bethseda.

Winterfell eh? lol GOT is awesome

Dan
Has barely posted

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:31 pm

dox wrote:I'm holding off on it because I'm afraid it will suck me in..

My biggest concerns are:
  • It'll be poo on PC (I'm convinced this will be the case anyway, so I'm looking at it only as a console option)
  • That it'll barely be improved from Fallout 3 in terms of textures
  • That the post-10-hour-mark is good (with this kind of game the first 10 or so hours are easy to wow people - I don't place much value on opening reviews)
  • That it's buggy/fail like the last few titles
..anyone put more than 10 hours in? Feedback?
Have to say I'm impressed. The game looks much nicer than Oblivion or even Fallout, very hard to believe its the same engine actually when you're looking at mountain vistas. It's good on pc but the UI could use some work, clearly geared towards controllers. That said, it's nothing game breaking.

Plots and stories are pretty good, and the game just feels enormous. I've done a fair whack of the main plot and quite a few side quests and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface - especially in terms of playing in different styles. And the content isn't repetitive or dull, its good shit for the most part.

In short: I've put more than 10 hours in, and it's a recommended purchase really. Essential if you liked anything Bethesda have made, this is their best yet.
[img]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2863/ccsigw.jpg[/img]

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:26 pm

I agree, that's why i think the best way to play Skyrim is with a 360 controller, on PC. hauled my pc to my tv room just for this purpose. The game really does have its low points (travelling, waiting, etc), and insane crazy fun points. Just as many high's as low's really.

I heard load times are bad on console, almost non-existent on the pc. I know there are help tips on the loading screen but i never quite get to read them.

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 pm

This game is too good for my own good.

Needs a bit graphics fixes, but there are already mods fixing a lot of those problems. Gameplay on PC is good. Very good. I'd write more about it, but it's too strong a lure... I'll be right back

skullhead
Prolific

Post by skullhead » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:23 pm

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Anyone else enjoying Skyrim still? I have restarted my campaign and upped the difficulty. It's more challenging, but a hell of a lot more fun, since I have an idea what i'm doing now.

Also have not used fast-travel, been able to find and run into some very interesting moments and random events :D

Shaddowmaster
Prolific

Post by Shaddowmaster » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:44 pm

I'd say, to counter Dans statement; If you dislike the stuff bethesda have done so far, this is their redemption.

I've played it a lot so far and I got to say that they managed to create a game so satisfactory that you get distracted from the mainquest to do all the shit there is to do in the world, without actually losing interest in the mainquest. And even after it's done, there's still stuff to do that is engulfing, because every city got so much content that just unravels into more stuff to do. It's like an exponential curve where the more you accomplish, the more there is to do, yet you get the feeling of accomplishment all the time. My questlog is constantly growing and yet I feel like doing all of it eventually, just that I put some stuff on the side to explore new stuff for a while.

The world feels much more alive than oblivion ever did. Much more than fallout 3 ever did. Heck, it even feels like a world that could be categorized into "alive", as opposed to Bethesdas previous games.

The UI is very nice on the PC, with two exceptions: Skill list page is horrible and the "yes/no" or "ok" pop-ups need to be fixed so you can control them by other means than the mouse.

Being a vampire is still shit though.

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 pm

After restarting Skyrim, I have learned something quite interesting.

I am the type of player that likes to do a lot of different things, situationally. I'll fire the bow, use the shield, pull out a two hander or blast with magic, all the while wearing enchanted heavy armor with magicka regeneration built in. Pretty deadly with a sword in one hand and frost being cast from the other. I'll then swap out to a shield and block incoming attacks, do a few shield bashes then proceed to burn the cowering enemy with a fireball.

The beauty of the way Skyrim works, is that it actually allows me to do this. Lower skills level faster than higher skills, and having so much utility is akin to a walking swiss army knife. While it may not be the "DPS Machine" a lot of people get slotted into from playing MMO's or stat-stacking... the generalized approach has always appealed to me, and it's never been easier than it has been in a game like Skyrim. Okay by Easier i mean it works out... not that the game is easy, it is constantly kicking my ass. (Playing on Expert). Saving Masterful for my next play. :)

Also, and as if I don't have enough on my plate already... I have decided to become a Skyrim Mod Developer.

First order of business will be a companion horse mod for PC.