Skyrim?

Arts & Entertainment, Computing, Science & Technology

Moderator: Staff

justice7ca
Prolific

Re: Skyrim?

Post by justice7ca » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm

70 hours in, several restarts, still going strong.

High Resolution texture pack for PC version came out as free DLC yesterday, it's rather jaw-dropping. Steamworks integration is out, so you can mod it directly from Steam now, or create your own mods.

I have to say, I am still enjoying Skyrim a lot. It's better than just about everything else out there, our console brethren have actually been playing a different game. I have played Skyrim on the Playstation3, and it just isn't the same. Load times on PC are almost non-existent, as are the bugs people say they run into often... i find the odd tiny bug, but nothing that ever detracts me from the game.

I still heavily recommend hauling your PC to your TV setup, HDMI input to tv, Optical or HDMI output to your stereo, and let it rip at 1080p using a 360 Controller (native support).

It becomes a next generation console game just like that, and it really is beyond everything else out there. Still not bored of it, still going to play it... that and BF3 make every other game seem very dull in comparison.

Anyway, the Construction Kit is out, have a look! If you bought it for 360 or PS3, I feel a bit sorry for your situation. It's not the same game.
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 pm

I've seen it on all three platforms and there's no pity required -- it's still a buggy mess across the board, installing to HD or Flash memory on the consoles reduces load times significantly and there's no way I'd be dragging the PC out to the living room even if just to take advantage of the couple more metres of display size. It's a game without a proper platform for most! I think the first chunk of it was engrossing and the world is still fascinating but the repetitive bugs are almost intolerable (read: they were endearing until you actually chomp through a bug chunk of the game) and regularly shatter suspension of disbelief, something totally required for a game like this.

Also: it's still the best RPG for 2011 IMO.

Pockets
Copius

Post by Pockets » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

For my money The Witcher 2 was the best RPG of 2011, a fantastic experience. They are in the process of adding a whole bunch of free content for April's update.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pzCHc.png[/img]

dox
Prolific

Post by dox » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Ooh, I'd heard about that but I guess it wasn't mentioned much 'round our ccc (crack clan circle) so I never really gave it a shot -- I'll consider that a reminder to give it a peek!

Leftism
Has barely posted

Post by Leftism » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 pm

33% off on Steam.

Best take advantage of this generous offer. :3
Alain Prost is always unhappy with my posts. Why else do you think he makes that horrible look towards them? :(

justice7ca
Prolific

Post by justice7ca » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:29 pm

dox wrote:I've seen it on all three platforms and there's no pity required -- it's still a buggy mess across the board, installing to HD or Flash memory on the consoles reduces load times significantly and there's no way I'd be dragging the PC out to the living room even if just to take advantage of the couple more metres of display size. It's a game without a proper platform for most! I think the first chunk of it was engrossing and the world is still fascinating but the repetitive bugs are almost intolerable (read: they were endearing until you actually chomp through a bug chunk of the game) and regularly shatter suspension of disbelief, something totally required for a game like this.

Also: it's still the best RPG for 2011 IMO.
dox wrote:it's still a buggy mess across the board
I must be playing a completely different game. What kind of bugs? I don't use a horse, as I find it to be a pain in the ass... but without the horse, I have a hard time running into problems? There was one time I couldn't open a door, so I had to basically look away and look at it again before I could open it.. that happened once. So I am actually genuinely curious what problems you're seeing with Skyrim? It's rather bug-free from my perspective, comparatively to say... battlefield3.

My biggest gripe really, with Skyrim, is the lack of bosses and major mobs. Dragons are cool and all but rather repetitive, often the same strategy works on every Dragon.

With the Creation Kit out now on Steam, it might bring some amazing mods that fix a lot of the issues people have with the game (seen several of these already). Most people can't be bothered with that kind of thing, while others absolutely love tweaking the hell out of their gaming experience. Customized Skyrim is probably one of the finest experiences I've had in gaming... and i've been doing that since I could speak. (I had a coleco vision!)
[url=http://www.crackclan.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/PEYhp.png[/img][/url]